GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:What's with the hate on NoW? They have nothing to do with BOC.

I speculate that new material they release will see a return to MHTRTC and Geogaddi. Hopefully very psychedelic but also a bit less synthetic as well

I'm not "hating" on him at all, I actually like his music. Just stating a fact- he ends up with more plays than BOC probably because he has a couple of hits that have ended up on a ton of playlists and radio stations.

Pretty much anyone who's listened to electronic or chill out radio will recognize "You Wish" and "Les Nuits."

Eagle Minded
I'm glad Warp are branching out into new territory while still having the time for their veterans to put out stuff (Squarepusher and AE dropped full lengths last year, Seefeel released some archival material this year). You can't have the same IDM sound forever, and stagnation on one sound can be what kills many labels. Warp are still as relevant as ever IMO, and they clearly haven't forgotten about their 'classic' artists.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
It's funny, but I think the best "newer" Warp artists are those with the closest ties to IDM. OPN, Flylo and Bibio are the spiritual successors to the big four of the 90s
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:It's funny, but I think the best "newer" Warp artists are those with the closest ties to IDM. OPN, Flylo and Bibio are the spiritual successors to the big four of the 90s

I feel that, as a musician who has worked a lot with labels and recording engineers, that as time progresses, people age. Lives change. New people are born and then social mentality will often times change with it. Some artists quit. Some artists keep going. For some they choose not to hash out singles every week as that would easily dilute the integrity of the artist’s craft. Younger upcoming artists that don’t already have their foot in the door in regards to fanbase, most often were the ones hashing out tons of tracks weekly if not daily. Some artists are shy and choose not to be as public as others. This is easily understandable. I do not think Warp is bad or irrelevant even in their popular material. Times are not the 90’s anymore and musical tastes in regards to the largest demographic of individuals who purchase music are the youth of today. They drive what is. Always have. R and B is huge in mainstream right now so that makes sense to me as to why they have booked more artists within that frame of genres. Albeit still weird and abstract that still fits well with who they originally were as a label. They still release new stuff all the time from the classics like what Seefeel just did and I have been regularly keeping in contact with seefeel and they haven’t ruled out new albums or even playing with BoC again. I directly asked them about all that and while the BoC question seemed like wishful thinking at least they were very hopeful to it all. Warp is still my favorite label today with Skam and other labels like them and can’t wait to see what is next.

Dayvan Cowboy
The best thing is, we're finally nearing the time for something new from Warp. Even if it's not BOC, I predict there will be a new album announced next week since next week, Calix will be out.

Eagle Minded
the fact that they played melissa juice on today's amks.live stream makes me a little more hopeful :)
phpBB [media]
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:the fact that they played melissa juice on today's amks.live stream makes me a little more hopeful :)
phpBB [media]

That's wonderful. Always nice to have a positive reminder of BOC's existence in the universe.

I'll also add that MDG logged in today. Is that a coincidence since the gates are clearing for Warp to announce something?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
NorthSaturnian wrote:the fact that they played melissa juice on today's amks.live stream makes me a little more hopeful :)
phpBB [media]

That's wonderful. Always nice to have a positive reminder of BOC's existence in the universe.

I'll also add that MDG logged in today. Is that a coincidence since the gates are clearing for Warp to announce something?

and also, there were some clips of protect and survive on amks.live, the same ones from boc's live@ATP gig
coincidence? i think.. yes :cry:
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
I think MDG logs on around twice a year to see what the community is doing/what we're talking about/what our expectations are for new BoC material. I doubt he relays our thoughts to the brothers but at least he knows what we're thinking, and I feel good about that.

Eagle Minded
NorthSaturnian wrote:
Echelon wrote:
phpBB [media]

and also, there were some clips of protect and survive on amks.live, the same ones from boc's live@ATP gig

So this is the one time we decide unrelated BoC symbolism is just coincidence? Haha :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:I think MDG logs on around twice a year to see what the community is doing/what we're talking about/what our expectations are for new BoC material. I doubt he relays our thoughts to the brothers but at least he knows what we're thinking, and I feel good about that.

I wouldn't put stock in it, except for the fact that something might be on the horizon for Warp. After no release during December last year, except maybe a remix for a smaller band, I'm kinda having faith there might be something big this Dec/Jan

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
funnnnpng wrote:I think MDG logs on around twice a year to see what the community is doing/what we're talking about/what our expectations are for new BoC material. I doubt he relays our thoughts to the brothers but at least he knows what we're thinking, and I feel good about that.

I wouldn't put stock in it, except for the fact that something might be on the horizon for Warp. After no release during December last year, except maybe a remix for a smaller band, I'm kinda having faith there might be something big this Dec/Jan

I'm putting money on a February release, maybe something coinciding with the Geogaddi anniversary but I still wouldn't bet on it. You really never know with BoC.

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:
Echelon wrote:

I'm putting money on a February release, maybe something coinciding with the Geogaddi anniversary but I still wouldn't bet on it. You really never know with BoC.

If they announced a BOC album in early November for February, it'd be about the same time that it took for their blockbuster Squid to come out. Plenty of time to build hype and anticipation. So that probably is more likely.

But again, if we've learned anything this year, it's that we should never bet on dates. Because they'll most likely be wrong. Still, perhaps one time this won't hold true. Until I'm proven otherwise, I'll hold out hope that the MDG visit might indicate something.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I'll hold out hope that the MDG visit might indicate something.

I don’t want to shatter your dreams echelon, but I think mdg logged in yesterday because of something *different* (hint hint) which was to do with BoC, but not anything speculation related.
I’m not going to say anymore because the dust should settle first. But i can assure you that mdg might’ve been here as a response to something a user said. (Which has been dealt with BTW)

Posts Quantity
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

I don’t want to shatter your dreams echelon, but I think mdg logged in yesterday because of something *different* (hint hint) which was to do with BoC, but not anything speculation related.
I’m not going to say anymore because the dust should settle first. But i can assure you that mdg might’ve been here as a response to something a user said. (Which has been dealt with BTW)

I must've missed something :?
1986 Summer Fire

NorthSaturnian wrote:
Echelon wrote:
phpBB [media]

Well, two hours ago the amkslive account on Instagram started following bocpages... for what it's worth.

https://instagram.com/bocpages
https://instagram.com/amkslive

Boqurant
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

I think I missed something

Dayvan Cowboy
For the people who weren't here, there was basically a thread that questioned if BOC's mystique was fabricated. Personally, I think it's a fair question to discuss and I might even ask it earnestly, but the problem was, it was started by a very troubled person and then another troll came in and continued where he left off.

I'll stand by what I said in the thread. BOC, like Daft Punk and the Residents, have deliberately elaborated on their mystique to some extent. And it is that window dressing that makes their allure so powerful, aside from the music. But that's not to deny that Mike and Marcus are genuine geniuses, because they are. They are musical geniuses and marketing geniuses as well.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:For the people who weren't here, there was basically a thread that questioned if BOC's mystique was fabricated. Personally, I think it's a fair question to discuss and I might even ask it earnestly, but the problem was, it was started by a very troubled person and then another troll came in and continued where he left off.

Didn't realize things got that bad there, if we're theorizing mdg had to get involved. I just noticed it was gone all of a sudden.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada