Man...

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Waz wrote:I love the old tunes. When I listen, I feel that music like this will never appear again. It's so innocent, untainted and clearly made to be enjoyed on its own merits by the people who made it and their friends, rather than being made to sell.

I genuinely feel that you can't make music this way anymore. The Internet exposes people to stuff which affects what they do. People see other amateur work and feel that they have to compete with it - same goes for the commercial stuff. They're influenced by the abundance of music available to them on P2P.

The old tunes, BoC Maxima, Twoism... they sound like they were made for the producers alone, and I love that. Most home-grown music doesn't feel this way.

I hate the Internet.

The more things change, the more things stay the same.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Posts Quantity
I feel like a BoCset is inevitable this decade.
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
mdg wrote:Hello everyone, yeah sorry to say this is meaningless. The string of characters you are looking into is a random string designed to avoid spammers. There's no ARG. BOC will have a new site up at some point with news of what they're doing.

vballs wrote:Happy days :) Now off to boardsofcanada.com (or whatever) to press F5 repeatedly haha..

Said on: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

...Imagine if vballs is still doing it...
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
There is no boxset, we already have what we have.

I'd happily eat my hat but I can't imagine any scenario where they put any value on their old tracks and sketches. It's the BoC fans that want it but there are not that many of us in the grand scheme of things. A new album can potentially draw in new fans but old random shit that is kinda already available is not going to light up spotify with new listeners.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:There is no boxset, we already have what we have.

I'd happily eat my hat but I can't imagine any scenario where they put any value on their old tracks and sketches. It's the BoC fans that want it but there are not that many of us in the grand scheme of things. A new album can potentially draw in new fans but old random shit that is kinda already available is not going to light up spotify with new listeners.

I wonder why they explicitly divulged that they were working on it then?

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:There is no boxset, we already have what we have.

1 record in 10 years is not enough to keep new fans, imho. The main thing what drives new people to dig dipper in to the boc, is their mystery. What is more mysterious, than their unreleased back catalogue? A cumulative box set would have as much value to new fans, as their new record.

Dayvan Cowboy
I am aggressively uninterested in a BOCset I mean what gives, that seems a bit OCDish to me given that we already have what we have, I am entirely not sure why the brothers would go through tepid stuff that has been branded by some and uneventful blah.

Creativity drives the artist, BOCset is for washed up brothers, and I don't believe they are there yet. Perhaps they are training their kids to be archivists and they will continue the BOC legacy for eons to come re-churning the ashes of the old crusty.

Going through archives, recreating or cleaning, etc. etc. seems like a MASSIVE amount of work for minimal results, no one wants that.

So count me out for the BOCset.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
vballs wrote:Happy days :) Now off to boardsofcanada.com (or whatever) to press F5 repeatedly haha..

Said on: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

...Imagine if vballs is still doing it...[/quote]

Terrifying prospect, that is straining the capacity of a keyboard, or fingers, but if you do it fast enough I guess you might get enough electricity to light up a LED.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Eagle Minded
Magrathea wrote:I am aggressively uninterested in a BOCset I mean what gives, that seems a bit OCDish to me given that we already have what we have, I am entirely not sure why the brothers would go through tepid stuff that has been branded by some and uneventful blah.

Creativity drives the artist, BOCset is for washed up brothers, and I don't believe they are there yet. Perhaps they are training their kids to be archivists and they will continue the BOC legacy for eons to come re-churning the ashes of the old crusty.

Going through archives, recreating or cleaning, etc. etc. seems like a MASSIVE amount of work for minimal results, no one wants that.

I'd personally also prefer a new album but I find it hard to imagine that the BOCset would be tepid or uneventful or that it would make the brothers washed up... Maybe it's deifying and idealistic but if BoC releases something it's gonna be good. They know what they're doing and they know what to release. Especially after all this supposed work on sorting their old tapes. Seems like a lot of effort to just throw away.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Happy Cycler
This is the equivalent of going fishing and catching a tin can or an old boot.

Eagle Minded
Magrathea wrote:I am aggressively uninterested in a BOCset I mean what gives, that seems a bit OCDish to me given that we already have what we have, I am entirely not sure why the brothers would go through tepid stuff that has been branded by some and uneventful blah.

I'd definitely prefer a boc/xset over a new album, I absolutely adore their older work and play by numbers sounds amazing (from the snippet). But it would be more refreshing if we got a new LP, and you're right, the bocset is more proper for the end of their career, rather than right now.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
Magrathea wrote:

Terrifying prospect, that is straining the capacity of a keyboard, or fingers, but if you do it fast enough I guess you might get enough electricity to light up a LED.

Let's hope Vballs is still pressing F5 out there in that case. Maybe he can power their new site all on his own
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
If they're going to do a BoCset, it would involve the entirety of Hexagon Sun more than usual and would definitely blow my expectations. It could get really artsy with all sorts of art in it, booklets and more.

At least I hope.
Fly!

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada