Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
"1986 Summer Fire" may be a reference to the first Redmoon event, given what is now Music70 formed in 1986.
Fly!

New Seed
i'm pretty sure they recycled a web loop into Treat Em Right (BoC Remix)
And you can't just come out and live with a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country and get away from it all...

Posts Quantity
Violet Hexagon Sun wrote:i'm pretty sure they recycled a web loop into Treat Em Right (BoC Remix)

Yes. It was the "Open the Light" web loop.
Fly!

Eagle Minded
I watched this film yesterday and there is this scene in it that sort of reminded me of 'From One Source All Things Depend'. The music is beautiful, although not as hard hitting as the BoC track. It's not that it sounds anything like it, but it just has that same feel. Conjures up those same feelings. Conjures, that's a really nice word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oXNj13E8z0&t=1149s

Eagle Minded
https://voca.ro/1mi3C0rpGvuO

I've been trying for ages to work out what the deeply buried children's voices are saying on In The Annexe and this is the best I can do at bringing them out, can anyone help decipher it? 0:15 - 0:20 has the clearest part where it sounds very much like children singing a nursery rhyme with the same melody as Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush / This Is The Way We Brush Our Teeth. I've had a few stabs at Googling certain phrases that I can decipher but haven't hit anything yet.

Eagle Minded
Tell me and show me and everyone else how to really play these pipes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsxOniv0fk

Eagle Minded
ANON478

Boqurant
sandrail wrote:"1986 Summer Fire" may be a reference to the first Redmoon event, given what is now Music70 formed in 1986.

i'm 99% sure it's about this:

"My friend bet me I couldn't start a fire using only one match. But I managed to get this meagre little flame going in this damp little patch of ground. Then when we were about a mile down the road, we looked back and it was like, 'whoosh!' - the whole wood was on fire! I love the countryside, I hate the idea that animals or trees or anything might get hurt. I had dreams about it for months afterwards."
- Marcus Eoin, December 2000

Sherbet Head
Hello (it's been a while...)

I couldn't find any reference around here to this track by Art Zoyd from 1985, Sortie 134 (Part 2), so apologies if this has come up before.
The laughing was possibly some influence on BOC though. Not sure if it was sampled too, but the way it's used is very similar to IABPOITC.

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Not a sample but I speculate that Melissa Juice was originally a song by christ. titled Lissajous, which he didn't care for much and BoC misheard it and they joked around with that being the name. At some point they made a mix of it, which christ. liked a lot more and he just let it be their song.
Fly!

Friendly Stranger
sandrail wrote:Not a sample but I speculate that Melissa Juice was originally a song by christ. titled Lissajous, which he didn't care for much and BoC misheard it and they joked around with that being the name. At some point they made a mix of it, which christ. liked a lot more and he just let it be their song.

some of the most interesting ideas i've ever had, in fact, have been mondegreens...
ɪɲ ʕʰɘɼɾʏ ɟȺɱɨʟʮ

"My world is your dreamworld, and vice versa. However, and as discussed, the two worlds are coming together apace. [78103301]"

"Dazzled or enlightened, he tries to understand and, at times, to expand the rules of a game he never asked to take part in, and that he is not allowed to renounce."

Eagle Minded
Not a sample or a sound but I discovered recently that "Melissa Olson" is in fact Chris Cunningham.

Eagle Minded
Wildfire wrote:Not a sample or a sound but I discovered recently that "Melissa Olson" is in fact Chris Cunningham.

how do you figure? i was always under the impression that Melissa Olson was just the brothers.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
I'm very certain Melissa Olson is a real person, they've stated Olson is "the surname of a family we know".
Fly!

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:I'm very certain Melissa Olson is a real person, they've stated Olson is "the surname of a family we know".

i highly doubt someone from this “family” directed the video. On an old reddit post i explained my theory, here it is pasted: “ Melissa Olson is credited for directing the Dayvan Cowboy music video and the Invocation video. I don’t think i’ve seen anyone else point this out but... what are the odds that’s not just a pseudonym? I mean, seriously, when you think about it, they directed those videos and pulled an Aphex on us by just slapping someone else name one it. They didn’t even try to hide it either really, “Melissa Juice” (Obvious reference to the Lissajous curve seen in mathematics) and “Olson” is said to be the last name of an old friend, but I doubt that old friend directed the videos...”
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
No seriously, it is Chris Cunningham. I have a friend that did some graphic design work for BOC. The famous blockbusters question mark.

Posts Quantity
Wildfire wrote:No seriously, it is Chris Cunningham. I have a friend that did some graphic design work for BOC. The famous blockbusters question mark.

What did they work on for BoC?
Fly!

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:
Wildfire wrote:No seriously, it is Chris Cunningham. I have a friend that did some graphic design work for BOC. The famous blockbusters question mark.

What did they work on for BoC?

He did a bunch of graphic design work around the Trans Canada Highway release time.

Boqurant
Did he do the design for TCH?
I'm itching to see what some of the blurrier pictures on that album are.
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Eagle Minded
NineRubberCops wrote:Did he do the design for TCH?
I'm itching to see what some of the blurrier pictures on that album are.

No it was a website he designed for the TCH release I think, and the question mark was part of the job.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada