Introduce Yourself

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
i just hehe'ed out loud at that misspelt welcome matt. beauitufl. thanks!

New Seed
Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a few months, but I think now is the time to start participating in this community.

I discovered Boards of Canada in early 2019 through Spotify. I remember listening to some MHTRC songs and looking at that cover art and saying: "This is VERY interesting." I consider it one of my best musical discoveries, it's exactly the style of music I've always been looking for, the songs fit a lot with my past, and serve as a soundtrack to specific moments in my life. They do everything in a perfect way, exploring many things and themes in their songs. I love their aesthetic, and I believe it's much more than just kids with blurred faces.

I'm not really into forums, and I also don't guarantee that I'll be active here often, but from the little I've seen, the community is pretty cool, and go deep looking for things and mysteries of unreleased music and such, that's so cool , from time to time I will come back here to check some stuff, and I hope to be well received here.

Thank you! :D
The system has failed, and you have failed with it.

New Seed
hi i'm twobytwo (2X2), i'm just a guy who decided to join this forum cause why not and i'm honestly not sure if i actually had a account before but oh well who cares, i exist and that's all that really matters. nice to see all of you here on a fine day such as this :D

Dayvan Cowboy
twobytwo wrote:hi i'm twobytwo (2X2), i'm just a guy who decided to join this forum cause why not and i'm honestly not sure if i actually had a account before but oh well who cares, i exist and that's all that really matters. nice to see all of you here on a fine day such as this :D

Well hello twobytwo!

My name is Richard, but I go by orbited.
I'm sure you'll find lots of likeminded people here. :wink:

I extend a jpeg of the weclome mat to ya!

New Seed
thank you a lot for the welcome, it's much appreciated

Posts Quantity
hiii im dylan! im a goth fan from philadelphia and i luv boards of canada. my fav bands are stereolab, broadcast, boc, pram, n cocteau twins! check out my instagram ypersound for cool pics of myself :0 also love nature, hauntology, reading, movies, n oxenfree

Dayvan Cowboy
babylulu wrote:hiii im dylan! im a goth fan from philadelphia and i luv boards of canada. my fav bands are stereolab, broadcast, boc, pram, n cocteau twins! check out my instagram ypersound for cool pics of myself :0 also love nature, hauntology, reading, movies, n oxenfree

Checked out the Insta, real great!
Get settled in by slipping those demonia boots off first! :D

New Seed
boards of canada

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
Hi, i'm a brand new member, being registered today but first exposed to the band in 2014 (I find important to notice that Geogaddi was the first ever album of theirs that I've listened to, though I was exposed to the rest of their official discography quickly after, and I knew about them for something like one year at the time, though I don't think that it was related to the then-recent-release of Tomorrow's Harvest, in fact, I don't really remember how I first heard about them).

It was the kind of band that I knew they were something special before I got into it (that's why I prefered to get into full albums and immerse myself in their universe rather than just several tracks), but I don't think I was really prepared for them at first. I didn't noticed it at the time, but I think they are the kind of bands that have really changed my vision of music and the possibilities of it.

I wasn't really familiar with their kind of music at the time, but I won't say that the first listens were THAT difficult (I didn't found that it was crap or something like that for example, I didn't like everything, but there where surely tracks that did it for me, I learned to like and understand the rest after).

Regarding the main reason I registered here, in fact, I could have continued to listen and appreciate their music without even doing it, but since last year, we have had some videos and stuff related to their samples, and though I knew since the first day that sampling and sound manipulation was one of the key parts of their sound and aesthetic (I owe something to bocpages for that), I didn't really took time to care about it. Let's say that if their music in itself blew my mind at the time, I would say that I was even more blown away by this kind of videos more recently :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQEYRxLJnIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XcmGrWsZKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTks0bgEO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS9LMLa_W-Y

So I would say that nowadays I'm maybe more interested in "what's behind the music" rather that the music in itself, though it stays generally mind-blowing and that I obviously still really like it (asking my favorite track, I will say both versions of Aquarius without a doubt, and Geogaddi can be a good contender for my favorite album of theirs, but I currently need to take time to confront it to the others, though I don't think that an album like Tomorrow's Harvest can't have any chance, this one is my least favourite and the one that I found the less interesting, though it have obvious qualities).

To be honest, I didn't register to be a regular member, but I will try to participate occasionally. I decided to register because I think that I know some sample sources (I could be wrong but I hope I won't :D), I will talk about it on the appropriate topic.

Spoiler: show
And please excuse my English, I'm coming from France (yeah, sixtyten and stuff haha :D).

Friendly Stranger
Friend of mine showed me the video below of Music Is Math in early 2020 and i've been obsessed with Boards ever since. As I went down more rabbit holes I landed here awhile back and decided to finally stop lurking and make an account :]

phpBB [media]
nothing is real

Boqurant
Hi, I'm Rômulo but I go by Rem/Remulo on the internet! I came to know about Boards of Canada sometime in 2020, watching a video about "disturbing albums", that included Geogaddi in the middle, the album really caught my attention, especially considering how I was feeling back then, the beginning of the pandemic and everything.
They easily became my favorite musical project and my gateway to fully appreciate electronic music, I was always listening to some subgenre of rock or metal, ocasionally some DnB or Breakcore, and getting into a whole new world in music was, and still is, exciting, and I gotta thank them for it.

I registered here because I wanted a place where I could discuss their music freely with people, and I'm very happy to be here!

Dayvan Cowboy
Remulo wrote:Hi, I'm Rômulo but I go by Rem/Remulo on the internet! I came to know about Boards of Canada sometime in 2020, watching a video about "disturbing albums", that included Geogaddi in the middle, the album really caught my attention, especially considering how I was feeling back then, the beginning of the pandemic and everything.
They easily became my favorite musical project and my gateway to fully appreciate electronic music, I was always listening to some subgenre of rock or metal, ocasionally some DnB or Breakcore, and getting into a whole new world in music was, and still is, exciting, and I gotta thank them for it.

I registered here because I wanted a place where I could discuss their music freely with people, and I'm very happy to be here!

:D !

Hi there Remulo, glad you've joined us. You'll find nothing but music obsessives on this site.
I listen to a fair amount of drum' n' bass and breakbeat myself. Any artists you like particularly?

Also a hearty welcome abord to doll, samplehunter and hyenaedon!

Boqurant
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Any artists you like particularly?

Some that I can name from my head are Machine Girl, Sewerslvt (even with all the controversy I still enjoy her sound very much), Kaizo Slumber, Nanoray, Prodigy, Atari Teenage Riot, Squarepusher and Aphex Twin, I'm open to find new recommendations!

Dayvan Cowboy
Remulo wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Any artists you like particularly?

Some that I can name from my head are Machine Girl, Sewerslvt (even with all the controversy I still enjoy her sound very much), Kaizo Slumber, Nanoray, Prodigy, Atari Teenage Riot, Squarepusher and Aphex Twin, I'm open to find new recommendations!

I listen to Jvne's music near constantly! The atmospheres on Sewers tracks are brilliant. :D

If I had to give some similar recommendations for Liquid/Atmospheric D'n'B, here are two you might like.

Pierre Henry - Jericho Jerk (Funky Porcini mix)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wd1xsWSMgSk

Mare - Cloudburst (The YouTube channel that posted this is full of great breakbeat.)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSPhfNo5F5Q

Happy hunting!

Posts Quantity
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Also a hearty welcome abord to doll, samplehunter and hyenaedon!

Thanks a lot. :)

Remulo wrote:Some that I can name from my head are Machine Girl, Sewerslvt (even with all the controversy I still enjoy her sound very much), Kaizo Slumber, Nanoray, Prodigy, Atari Teenage Riot, Squarepusher and Aphex Twin, I'm open to find new recommendations!

Which tracks or albums for The Prodigy and Aphex Twin?

Boqurant
Samplehunter wrote:Which tracks or albums for The Prodigy and Aphex Twin?

The entirety of The Fat of The Land by The Prodigy and Richard D. James Album if we're going for Aphex Twin's more DnB stuff, my overall favorites by him at the moment are SAW 85-92 and Vol II, RDJ Album, ICBYD and Drukqs are really growing on me at the moment.

If I had to pick individual tracks: Narayan, Diesel Power and Firestarter by The Prodigy, Peek 824545201, Come To Daddy (Pappy Mix), Cock/ver10 and Vordhosbn by Aphex Twin.

Posts Quantity
Remulo wrote:
Samplehunter wrote:Which tracks or albums for The Prodigy and Aphex Twin?

The entirety of The Fat of The Land by The Prodigy and Richard D. James Album if we're going for Aphex Twin's more DnB stuff, my overall favorites by him at the moment are SAW 85-92 and Vol II, RDJ Album, ICBYD and Drukqs are really growing on me at the moment.

If I had to pick individual tracks: Narayan, Diesel Power and Firestarter by The Prodigy, Peek 824545201, Come To Daddy (Pappy Mix), Cock/ver10 and Vordhosbn by Aphex Twin.

Ok.

The Prodigy's first three are their best for me (with The Fat of the Land just ahead). Regarding individual tracks, my favorite of theirs would be Their Law, but there are a lot of incredible ones.

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned is decent (Medusa's Path and The Way It Is being the highlights) while Invaders Must Die is way better without even challenging the 1991-1997 era.

The last two are decent at best, I just dig 2 or 3 tracks.

Regarding Aphex Twin, there aren't full albums that I dig entirely, but some tracks are outstanding for sure. I was first exposed to him via Selected Ambient Works 85-92, so I would pick this one (Heliosphan being a great contender for my favorite Aphex track). The Volume II creeps me out lol.

New Seed
My name is Mark, I am an Intern Architect living in the subarctic. I discovered BOC in 2009 and they have been on my top list of artists ever since, and will continue to be indefinitely. The mysterious VHS tape has brought me here seeking answers, but in all likelihood I will just find more questions. I don't mind getting lost

Dayvan Cowboy
MarkTheDee wrote:My name is Mark, I am an Intern Architect living in the subarctic. I discovered BOC in 2009 and they have been on my top list of artists ever since, and will continue to be indefinitely. The mysterious VHS tape has brought me here seeking answers, but in all likelihood I will just find more questions. I don't mind getting lost

That tape has had people signing up left, right and centre, due to popular demand. :lol:

Welcome!

Friendly Stranger
hi, im erin. BOC is my favourite band and i havent even gotten to look into their more obscure releases beyond A Few Old Tunes - excited to get deeper into it :)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada