GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Here's a thought...What else could the content possibly be, if it's BOC in this zine?
How could BOC possibly be a topic or an article or whatever if it isn't at least an interview, right?

If it's a new interview then they could do the fans a LOT of good by clearing a few things up.

There aren't enough fans to warrant them using the BOC brand to "sell copies" so why put their name on the cover?
Why put it second?

They are either simply talking about BOC or talking TO them.

I'm sorry for how poorly constructed this whole reply is.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm looking on the brightside.
Whatever it is, I'll be just as interested reading it as a puff piece as if I was reading an interview.

I'm not really Rik Mayall in that gif on the other page right now. I'll be keeping my positive outlook in regards to Boards of Canada. :D

Negamuse wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Captain corrigan is NOT flying without a licence this time. :(

Hey, could still be true if they put out the unheard albums, they technically be a *re*release ;)

I'm trolling ofc, it's probably gonna be a retrospective or anniversary thing.

Exactly. :)
As well, I do think we'll all read it, no matter which of those it is.

Posts Quantity
no matter what, we can all agree on one thing about this issue of Stargate zine...

the cover goes hard as fuck

Dayvan Cowboy
Magrathea wrote:
Echelon wrote:I'm over all fakes and args. Only sites I'm going to believe is BOCs twitter and Warp.

I think it's funny that BOC did an arg and now people have been copying it for years. I highly doubt they're going to do one again especially in light of all this. It's time to bring on something new

We are kind of setting ourselves up for all those fakes with the rabid ache for news and new material. (or old dusty crappy-o material for that matter). It really is a warning sign that the system is busted.

Nature does not react when not pressured to
Trolls do not react when not finding pleasure in it :D

Definitely a good idea to tune out and not expect anything then. Because I've hit peak fake! Plenty of other good music out there :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Maybe they want to talk about entropy, or cyclicity. The Earth may not be a flat circle, but time is. I'm honestly not interested in an unrelated piece talking about how great Geogaddi is, I burned myself out on that back in high school.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Magrathea wrote:
Echelon wrote:I'm over all fakes and args. Only sites I'm going to believe is BOCs twitter and Warp.

I think it's funny that BOC did an arg and now people have been copying it for years. I highly doubt they're going to do one again especially in light of all this. It's time to bring on something new

We are kind of setting ourselves up for all those fakes with the rabid ache for news and new material. (or old dusty crappy-o material for that matter). It really is a warning sign that the system is busted.

Nature does not react when not pressured to
Trolls do not react when not finding pleasure in it :D

Definitely a good idea to tune out and not expect anything then. Because I've hit peak fake! Plenty of other good music out there :)

Peak Fake!

I love it!
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
It will either be a retrospective, or an old interview they got a licence to reprint, I wouldn't expect a brand new interview at this point.

Eagle Minded
Welp, there goes that then. Back into hibernation for me.

Eagle Minded
It will end up being a typo. They meant to write "Bored in Canada: a guide to the most relaxing places in the Northwest Territories"

Posts Quantity
While this interview might not have any information about a release, if it even is an interview, it is a very good sign. They could possibly be doing a new press junket for an upcoming release, which is not a matter of if but when (if we can take the recent social media activity as a sign of anything)

Eagle Minded
babylulu wrote:While this interview might not have any information about a release, if it even is an interview, it is a very good sign. They could possibly be doing a new press junket for an upcoming release, which is not a matter of if but when (if we can take the recent social media activity as a sign of anything)

And I have wondered if they have already done the press and were waiting on the album to be pressed.
How old could this potential interview be?
How much other press have they done and when do they usually do press when an album is ready?

Eagle Minded
preparation for a dive.

Posts Quantity
Sky and Trails wrote:
babylulu wrote:While this interview might not have any information about a release, if it even is an interview, it is a very good sign. They could possibly be doing a new press junket for an upcoming release, which is not a matter of if but when (if we can take the recent social media activity as a sign of anything)

And I have wondered if they have already done the press and were waiting on the album to be pressed.
How old could this potential interview be?
How much other press have they done and when do they usually do press when an album is ready?

I wholeheartedly believe their next release to be the BoCSet, as MDG said before the release of Tomorrow's Harvest, it will come after they release a new album (which happened to be Tomorrow's Harvest). But that's wishful thinking on my part.

Eagle Minded
That makes sense to me.

I imagine a box, like a puzzle box you know? With the thick cardboard and glossy covering, totally black with 'Boards of Canada' written on it.

Maybe it even opens like a puzzle box, but it's 2 inches deep because it is FULL of vinyl, too much for any other type of container.
It contains a booklet the same size as an album full of writings, graphics, and personal photos of the band and other creative types they work with, and most of all, it's heavy as fuck, like 8 pounds of pure gold.

And on top is a little note that simply says, "We're glad you made it."

Friendly Stranger
I do hope a new album sounds full of positivity and hope. Times are absolutely dire in the world. It's all just bad news and I can't help believe that this sinks into human consciousness and takes root, manifesting even further misery.

I don't know if Terence Mckenna was the one to come up with the phrase 'the world is built on language' but he repeated it quite a lot and even suggested that if true, that means it can be hacked. I re-watched the film natural born killers the other day and there's a line in it where Mickey talks about the media being like the weather, only a man made weather. This was 1994, before the internet was available to 99% of the world. It got me thinking about the power of such a tool and if there was indeed a long plan in place as this super information highway would unfold. Paraphrasing Terence again, he also spoke about the intense change that would take place. Changes happening so fast that would overtake our ability to keep up with such a curve. I hope Boards of Canada announce a new release soon and I hope it offers a kiss to the world. Cos it needs it so much.

Eagle Minded
Well said.
When they put that line in Sometimes, "You okay????" my body slouched with a sigh of relief and I felt like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty when Ricky Fitz asked him how he was doing. His response was something like, "It's been so long since someone asked me."
I think I teared up at that line, and I still do when I listen to it, because it was exactly as you said, "a kiss to the world" in uncertain times. I don't know if it was purposeful but I'm the kind of person that finds meaning in things like that, so it was purposeful to me.

I would love BOC to offer us unconditional love and acceptance.

I would join a cult at this point, if that's what it takes to hear more soul-soothing tunes from BOC.

In response to Ram Das' suggestion that we are all just sitting around a fire for eternity (fucking brilliant imagery and it's on the final track of Jon Hopkins' Music for Psychedelic Therapy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4kCi_ldr8), reigniting it from embers when it starts to fade, I would add a boombox so there was some nice music and after Tomorrow's Harvest fades out I would yell to Ram, "Add some new BOC to that playlist! The fire is getting hot!"

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
You're not wrong, but as profound as that sounds I don't think it's actually a particularly new thing. It would actually be a really wierd thing if society wasn't undergoing huge changes, change is constantly happening and that change has always felt huge to the people experiencing it. The times in history that didn't have huge changes are just the times where we've forgotten what the changes were, or they were never recorded. Or recorded and then lost.

Same with language, language is created by humans to codify the ideas and concepts and categories we see and what sticks is all the language that confers useful information, the language we collectively agree to use. When we learn language we learn concepts and that forms the ideas in our minds. It's a process of feedback, but it's all based on reinterpreting and modelling the world as it's seen by people with their own minds and tastes and it has always, always been susceptible to influence by people in positions of power.

Terence McKenna was astute in some ways but in others he was repeating what other people had been saying for centuries, and he spent way too long looking for essential truth in purely internal avenues through psychedelics and trying to manifest them into universally meaningful concepts. It's telling that when it came to this language failed him... did we really learn anything more about the world because of what he wrote about those trips?

I agree though, that when power structures fail us in how they let us imagine and react to concepts its up to us to form the language to describe them and if that lets us communicate more healthily than just absorbing misery from the diet of the worst things in the world and find hope then that is not just useful but necessary. BoC aren't much for using words but they do it with sounds and textures... I'd love to see if they can conjure something hopeful.

Sorry this post got away from me a bit, I was bored today and I went through a McKenna phase :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Myc wrote:I do hope a new album sounds full of positivity and hope. Times are absolutely dire in the world. It's all just bad news and I can't help believe that this sinks into human consciousness and takes root, manifesting even further misery.

I don't know if Terence Mckenna was the one to come up with the phrase 'the world is built on language' but he repeated it quite a lot and even suggested that if true, that means it can be hacked. I re-watched the film natural born killers the other day and there's a line in it where Mickey talks about the media being like the weather, only a man made weather. This was 1994, before the internet was available to 99% of the world. It got me thinking about the power of such a tool and if there was indeed a long plan in place as this super information highway would unfold. Paraphrasing Terence again, he also spoke about the intense change that would take place. Changes happening so fast that would overtake our ability to keep up with such a curve. I hope Boards of Canada announce a new release soon and I hope it offers a kiss to the world. Cos it needs it so much.

aLIEn

Dayvan Cowboy
I think even when Sometimes came out. The world was a place full of hatred and isolation so their offer of "you okay?" even pre pandemic was resonant. Now however it's gotten even more meaningful. I do think BOC set out to make a conformting album soundwise before the pandemic and now they have all the more reason to release it.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I think even when Sometimes came out. The world was a place full of hatred and isolation so their offer of "you okay?" even pre pandemic was resonant. Now however it's gotten even more meaningful. I do think BOC set out to make a conformting album soundwise before the pandemic and now they have all the more reason to release it.
confirmed
Heard from the Horizon Radar

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada