I hope you are okay.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:Closer than you'd think. What you should think about is the absence when they're practically gone for real afterwards.

Oh man, the final and eternal quiet. No mere twitter likes to salivate over. What a strange world it would be here. :lol:

Sky and Trails wrote:Is there any way we can all get together virtually or is the time difference too difficult to overcome?

We have four Discord servers going on. These communities offer real time chat and voice channels.
There's the bocpages one which I setup mainly for people who want to help out editing the wiki. We have an official Twoism forum discord which is really the sidekick to the forum but then real time. Basically what you described you needed. And finally there's two more Discords of which one is very lively (The Magic Window) with a lot of youngsters.

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Communities

Happy Cycler
The Good mod speaks.

With...like...you have a Facebook avatar or something similar now? :lol:
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:I don't think discord is for me I'm afraid. It's convoluted and I don't think I'll be able alternate easily between there and here. :razz:

How so convoluted? It's not more difficult than installing Skype and joining a party to chat and speak. Discord is pretty simple to be honest. You create an account. You join a server and you start chatting in a channel. Or start talking in a voice channel.

You can look at a channel as a topic. The fun part is the Twoism discord server is setup as as a copy to the board. We have channels like: boards-of-canada, this-random-sound, the-playground, twoism-records,... other Discord servers have channels like: memes, technology, artwork, music,...

So just like on the forum you can hop in on a channel/forum and chat in real time with members.

It's fun!

Jonse wrote:The Good mod speaks.

With...like...you have a Facebook avatar or something similar now? :lol:

That's a heavy modified version of my Apple Memoji character. Swapped the Apple logo for the boc logo and swapped the background for the TH artwork. ;)

Happy Cycler
Looks conspiratorial as ever, man. MDG needs to come back and step up his game because I trust you over him re: BoC at this point.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:How so convoluted? It's not more difficult than installing Skype and joining a party to chat and speak. Discord is pretty simple to be honest. You create an account. You join a server and you start chatting in a channel. Or start talking in a voice channel.

You can look at a channel as a topic. The fun part is the Twoism discord server is setup as as a copy to the board. We have channels like: boards-of-canada, this-random-sound, the-playground, twoism-records,... other Discord servers have channels like: memes, technology, artwork, music,...

So just like on the forum you can hop in on a channel/forum and chat in real time with members.

It's fun!

I'm not necessarily talking about setup. It's just a completely different crowd/atmosphere and real-time chat I suspect will be addicting and bad for my mental health.

Y'know me Mr.-E, I'm just iffy about social media and other platforms in general. I'm internet savvy, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to join in. I'll be taking my small steps to connectivity.

I've got my routine and accounts all worked out for now. Don't think I haven't considered it though! :wink:
Last edited by Orbited insanitarium on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
Discord may be the platform of choice for a crowd I can agree is not exactly socially great but it is the current VOIP of ubiquity. I would just use it at your discretion in productive ways, but if you can't at all due to association, I understand.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:Discord may be the platform of choice for a crowd I can agree is not exactly socially great but it is the current VOIP of ubiquity. I would just use it at your discretion in productive ways, but if you can't at all due to association, I understand.

You've got it right. Association.
I've only just found a place in this particular crowd, It'd be like restarting over if I joined discord. This twoism is my preferred bunch, I don't think I'd want it any other way (at least for now.)

Happy Cycler
You do you. Absolutely fine.

Dayvan Cowboy
If you could talk to me face to face, you might have a better understanding. My opinions on social media go hand in hand with who I am individually. To have that perspective, you would need to know me.
Such is the way of the post-covid world, my main gripe with the pandemic is how much it glued me to my smartphone.

Just call me the "Young Fogey" :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:How so convoluted? It's not more difficult than installing Skype and joining a party to chat and speak. Discord is pretty simple to be honest. You create an account. You join a server and you start chatting in a channel. Or start talking in a voice channel.

It's fun!

I'm not necessarily talking about setup. It's just a completely different crowd/atmosphere and real-time chat I suspect will be addicting and bad for my mental health.

If I could add a bit more, "Voice Channel" I'm not ready for that stuff yet. I'm wincing at the thought of random strangers who I don't know hearing me. Even "Real Time" is putting me off. The reason this forum works so well is because there is space left for genuine thinking, discord seems like bang-crash-wallop.

Besides, I won't get any references to memes etc, I'd rather not take the risk of being belittled for my lack of knowledge in those areas. Which seems all more likely with a bigger bunch of people whom are unknown to me. The dynamics are off putting.
I'll take your word that it's fun, but I'd much rather have my own private party! :P

Apologies, this wasn't intended as a rant. I just want to state things as clearly as I can.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:If I could add a bit more, "Voice Channel" I'm not ready for that stuff yet. I'm wincing at the thought of random strangers who I don't know hearing me. Even "Real Time" is putting me off. The reason this forum works so well is because there is space left for genuine thinking, discord seems like bang-crash-wallop.

VS

Orbited insanitarium wrote:Is anyone here up for bringing back the Skype group? I can see some American members being possibly interested in this, we could get the ball rolling (so to speak. :wink:)

Uuh.

You got me confused now. Skype is VOIP and real time chat, right? It's basically the same as a voice channel (which can also be private in Discord). Funny thing, there is in fact a private "Twoism Skype Group" channel in the Twoism discord server. Go figure. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:If I could add a bit more, "Voice Channel" I'm not ready for that stuff yet. I'm wincing at the thought of random strangers who I don't know hearing me. Even "Real Time" is putting me off. The reason this forum works so well is because there is space left for genuine thinking, discord seems like bang-crash-wallop.

VS

Orbited insanitarium wrote:Is anyone here up for bringing back the Skype group? I can see some American members being possibly interested in this, we could get the ball rolling (so to speak. :wink:)

Uuh.

You got me confused now. Skype is VOIP and real time chat, right? It's basically the same as a voice channel (which can also be private in Discord). Funny thing, there is in fact a private "Twoism Skype Group" channel in the Twoism discord server. Go figure. :D

I liked the idea of Jonse, Pianoforte, Mexicola, in a hypothetical Skype group made purely of this twoism's members. Those people don't post as much now. I was thinking perhaps the new group could situate of current users like Sky and Trails, Biznasty, Rodox_head. People I've interacted with and know well. I wasn't including myself in that post but I thought it would be a good idea.

Of course if I knew originally that Skype was through the discord platform, I wouldn't have been so enthusiastic.

I was trying to differentiate between liking to talk to this forums users, and being uncomfortable with discord, considering it's userbase of people is much larger. Therefore discord has a lot of people whom are strangers to me. People I will not be comfortable around.

People I know: Twoism forum
People I do not know: Twoism Discord

Please listen, this conversation is upsetting for me. You keep continually trying to get me to join Discord. I just don't know how to make it more clear.
It's not for me, for all the reasons I've stated above and more personal ones.

My mental health is unable to cope with this. Please Fredd, I don't want to have to explain over and over my problems with discord without going into further detail involving some of my personal issues.
I feel like you're boxing me in.

Don't tell me what I'm supposedly doing. I advice you to read my posts. Just trying to inform you.

Twoism forum: 4457 members
Twoism discord: 225 members

I'm glad you feel more comfortable in a forum that has 20x members. And you seem to forget that people you mention are also here and in Discord. Not everyone of course. But it's not like both platforms have no common ground.

Don't piss me off. You be you.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:

Don't tell me what I'm supposedly doing. I advice you to read my posts. Just trying to inform you.

Twoism forum: 4457 members
Twoism discord: 225 members

I'm glad you feel more comfortable in a forum that has 20x members. And you seem to forget that people you mention are also here and in Discord. Not everyone of course. But it's not like both platforms have no common ground.

Don't piss me off. You be you.

I'm really not angry or trying to piss you off. I just don't like stepping out my comfort zone because of my Aspergers, having to explain that in written text is tricky. You would really have to talk to me face to face in order to understand what I mean. Nothing is intended in my post, but I have to phrase things a certain way.

Again, you would have to know me to get better context. I'm sorry I've pissed you off by this.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:Again, you would have to know me to get better context. I'm sorry I've pissed you off by this.

Yeah what about a VOIP chat? :) Just kidding. And ok, all is good. I'm just cranky today and kinda projecting it. Sorry for that.

Eagle Minded
Okay, I'll chime in here...
I initially thought Discord was something for gamers only. Remember, I'm 40; I don't game; I'm not into anime; but I find Reddit to be absolutely hilarious because in my mind it's run by 13 year old boys who tell dick and fart jokes for fun during class instead of listening to the teacher (or automated robotic teaching support system, whatever they have in school nowadays). Anyway, I thought Discord would be shit.
I tried it with something I was interested in but it was kind of boring, nothing really going on, and confusing AS HELL INTERFACE to understand and get used to (again, like newer video game controllers, I just didn't get it).

Okay, so fast forward and I get an invite to the Discord server and it's actually PACKED with stuff.

Here's where I am still confused. It's real time, but there is SO MUCH activity that it's really hard to be able to pick up where you left off. This makes me wonder if that's the intention. You are supposed to be chiming in in real time, not scrolling through pages like in the forum. Is this kind of right?

I have been trying it out for a day or two now and I admit, I like it.
The speculation is fucking INSANE! I now understand how you pros have been able to simply shrug off something as 'not BoC'. Because everything seems to be fleshed out on the Discord server.

And from what I understand, like Fredd-E was saying, it's basically real-time chat and stuff.

It actually seems to be the perfect solution to meeting people 'in person' for now.

And I totally get Orbited. He and I are on the same page there.

What I THINK I'm seeing on Discord now (correct me if I'm wrong, Fredd-E) is the group trying to figure out if something claiming to be authentic early BoC is actually real or not. They are going to lengths that would boggle the mind. It's pretty cool, honestly. But I'm not very much into the speculation because the actual release is nearly here :)

I'm totally going to do the voice stuff on Discord when my toddler isn't screaming into my fucking ear holes.

And hey Orbited, thanks for sharing what you shared. I was unaware and I will now treat you differently! ;) Kidding. I love when people are able to be open about stuff.

I had a full-blown anxiety attack while at the doctor a couple of days ago. They had to have someone come in and hold my hands, literally, and talk to me like I was about to jump off a building. This was for a fucking CT scan. Anyway, that's something about me to make me real to anyone reading.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
^^^ your post has just encapsulated everything I think about Discord.

I only got an iPhone this time two year ago, the people around the same age as me have been glued to their mobile screens for years and years. Yet, it's a first-time discovery for a 17 year old me.

I have NO experience whatsoever about internet culture. And discord would be a foreign planet for me. besides that, I'm not really fussed about hardcore speculation. I think it might mentally detract me from having any other kind of conversation.

As for Autism and Aspergers, I created a topic about it yonks ago. Chime in if ye would like.
Aspergers and the Autistic Spectrum
(mind you, I'm quite embarrassed about the way I type, I was still getting used to expressing stuff online.)

And thanks Fredd-E, I seem to be in much more cranky moods recently. Haven't got a wink of sleep all week now cos of the UK heatwave. I suppose that's tied into my negative thoughts on social media as well. :wink:

Anxiety attack?! Bejeezus! Hope you're alright now. :shock:

Happy Cycler
It seems like what you're looking for Orbited is what might be more described as a podcast with guests regularly than a voice chat group. While I'd love to talk to Mexi again and Pianoforte, I don't see that happening.

The Skype group was a thing and it was never run through Discord. I started it around 2011 or so and it has been inactive for at least six years now. We have a role in the Discord called "The Twoism Skype Group", but I don't know if I played any part in that. I was around for the conception of that group though things have changed over the years. Fredd sort of re-contextualized the whole thing lately, and I apparently had my henchmen privileges removed, so I'm not an authority on the current 'lore' of the ol' Skype crowd.

We do have smaller groups and whatnot separate from the official Twoism group, but unfortunately they're pretty much all on Discord. One might be active on Telegram, I don't know. I loved Skype back in the day, but nobody uses it enough to justify an install for me personally.

You should definitely not get on Discord if you don't like it, and you can have whatever reason you want for disliking it, that's fine. What I was trying to say is that it's pretty much just what I use now because it's what everyone else uses and I don't see that changing at the moment.

On another note, would it be possible to do a basic voice/chat embed to twoism.org? It feels like that might actually get used now.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground