R35TT "Fixed" in this restoration:

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Joined: 29 Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Hey all, me and a friend (theniski on YT) fiddled with reverse engineering the noise reduction present in the 320kbps MP3 rip of R35TT, boosting the tape hiss back to what it most likely orignally was without all the destructive noise reduction. Doing this brought back some refreshing highs and transients not heard that well in the orignal. Some artifacts still come through occasionally, like the "reverse reverb" in some of the deeper bass synths and percussion, but it's mostly all back to sounding like a proper unprocessed tape rip.

Listen here:
phpBB [media]


Download here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Image ImageImage

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 493
Joined: 14 Mar 2018
Location: Hooper Bay
oliveoil22 wrote:Hey all, me and a friend (theniski on YT) fiddled with reverse engineering the noise reduction present in the 320kbps MP3 rip of R35TT, boosting the tape hiss back to what it most likely orignally was without all the destructive noise reduction. Doing this brought back some refreshing highs and transients not heard that well in the orignal. Some artifacts still come through occasionally, like the "reverse reverb" in some of the deeper bass synths and percussion, but it's mostly all back to sounding like a proper unprocessed tape rip.

Listen here:
phpBB [media]


Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ccvoa ... sp=sharing

I remember when I tried doing this myself using audacity. Never really came out right. As for your own remaster I dearly love the work that has been put into what ever y'all have done to make R35TT sound more lively. I can hear such nuance that I would have otherwise have never heard otherwise.
Good work! :3
this thread is full of shenanigans.

User avatar
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 4122
Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Great work! Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Apr 2013
great work! i always personally thought the mentioned reverse reverb effect on the drums was part of the music and not just a noise reduction artifact!

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1558
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Logging in for the first time in nearly a decade to thank you for this!
Question though - the provided link only takes me to side A. Am I missing something here? I'd like to download side B as well. Is it my browser? I'm using chrome.
FUTURE FOREST DESIGN:
http://www.futureforestdesign.net

MOSS ARCHIVE MUSIC COLLECTIVE:
http://www.mossarchive.net

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Joined: 29 Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Joebot Kill wrote:Logging in for the first time in nearly a decade to thank you for this!
Question though - the provided link only takes me to side A. Am I missing something here? I'd like to download side B as well. Is it my browser? I'm using chrome.


Nope, just copied the link to Side A only instead of the whole folder, my bad lol:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Image ImageImage

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 227
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Thank you for the time you spent working on reducing the noise present in the rip.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
Thanks oliveoil22, you unbaked the cake and it turned out very nice! Now we all should replace our old muffled rips with your crispy remaster (not an irony)

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1558
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Great! Thanks for the update. Excellent work.
I gotta ask... What are the chances of getting these as individual tracks?
FUTURE FOREST DESIGN:
http://www.futureforestdesign.net

MOSS ARCHIVE MUSIC COLLECTIVE:
http://www.mossarchive.net

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 217
Joined: 13 Sep 2021
Location: Aegean Panarthritis Spatulation
Could you reverse some of the noise reduction on the 2014 rips of Old Tunes? They just sound too murky...
Fly!

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Joined: 29 Jun 2020
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
sandrail wrote:Could you reverse some of the noise reduction on the 2014 rips of Old Tunes? They just sound too murky...


this would be tough to do due to how lossy lots of the rips are and the noise reduction algorithm and/or algorithm settings used. most of the audio data that could be brought back is almost gone, especially OTV2. actively working on and off to see what works but I haven't got anywhere yet. will keep posted though If I make a breakthrough.
Image ImageImage

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Mar 2021
oliveoil22 wrote:
sandrail wrote:Could you reverse some of the noise reduction on the 2014 rips of Old Tunes? They just sound too murky...


this would be tough to do due to how lossy lots of the rips are and the noise reduction algorithm and/or algorithm settings used. most of the audio data that could be brought back is almost gone, especially OTV2. actively working on and off to see what works but I haven't got anywhere yet. will keep posted though If I make a breakthrough.


the audio data in otv2 is definitively not gone if anyone's wondering, I had my own method with Adobe Audition that worked fairly well for bringing the details back, but it also had a lot of distortion on the noise recidue. hoping someone finds a better method for that one eventually

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 217
Joined: 13 Sep 2021
Location: Aegean Panarthritis Spatulation
Could you post a 24bit version of this remaster?
Fly!

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4861
Joined: 1 Dec 2005
You cannot fix that which is not broken.

Seriously though, it is kind of neat how much more detail you can hear here.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1439
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
If this ain't a slice of brilliance!
Image

Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Location: Dublin & Aberdeen
Have to say, this sounds great!
One's and Zero's

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 60
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Location: Virginia, USA
Thank you oliveoil22! Sounds incredible. This'll easily replace the old rip that I use on iTunes :)

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests