EXPLAIN YOUR AVATAR THREAD

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
oakmoss&amber wrote:When I was a wee little lad near Waterrock Knob in Maggie Valley, NC. I still go there twice a year.

Oh fab! Nice n' picturesque for the summer season.

May I ask, did you run that photo through any AI depixelization software, if so it's done a cracking job. Vibrant as all hell. :)

Posts Quantity
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Oh fab! Nice n' picturesque for the summer season.

May I ask, did you run that photo through any AI depixelization software, if so it's done a cracking job. Vibrant as all hell. :)

Haha! Thanks! It's just Imgur. I recently learned you can upload a photo directly from there as the profile picture so it is nice and crisp. That is actually a photo I found looking through old albums, snapped it on my phone, then edited it a bit.

Dayvan Cowboy
Auld one: (still love the damn thing!)

Current One!

That's right folks! For the purposes of an avatar, it's Peter Gabriel from that there Genesis, reprising his proggy role as Bat Wings. :)

Sherbet Head
Orbited has the best profil pics on the market.
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:Orbited has the best profil pics on the market.

Half-price sale! All stock must go! :P

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:or the effects of listening to too much geogaddi.
I feel like no matter what my avatar is, this statement will still apply
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
It's from a bit of '90s music video camp, if anyone was wondering:

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
This one is the early logo for The Chemical Brothers record label "Freestyle Dust"

Old 'Yin:

New 'Yin:

These Kosmik hippies represent the Chem's sound quite well. This would've made a great cover for an album of relentless hallucinogenic techno.

Who is dis doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'? :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
I've been waiting for rodox to change their avatar just so I can reply "or the effects of listening to too much geogaddi." :P

I'm living a sad, sorry existence I know.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I've been waiting for rodox to change their avatar just so I can reply "or the effects of listening to too much geogaddi." :P

I'm living a sad, sorry existence I know.
I've grown attached to it since the aspect ratio of the original gif got messed up when I changed it. It's like a final touch of imperfection, or Wabi-Sabi.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I've been waiting for rodox to change their avatar just so I can reply "or the effects of listening to too much geogaddi." :P

OK. I guess that sounds pretty good. :wink:

New Seed
me and my dad ready to go sledding, circa winter 2007

Dayvan Cowboy
Auld one:

Current one:

This is a photograph of a "made-out-of-nature" quirky creation that was synonymous with a local podcast I took part in a few years back.
The subject matter of the cast was the outdoors. Going for a wander, and exploring the sounds of your surroundings. Quite fitting innit? :wink:

Sherbet Head

A shortened view of The Great Turn, painted by Alex Grey. He did it for a Tool album, but man, fuck Tool. The art is inspiring enough alone.

An excerpt from Grey on The Great Turn;

The Great Turn is a symbol of the potential for both transformation and disaster. There are three primary compositional elements, the polarized body, the jewel web, and the background tunnel of eyes, symbolizing three levels of our self. Reflecting on the meaning of the image, the Body feels the struggle of the ego caught in the web of the Mind, yet reaches toward the light of Spirit a tunnel of infinite awareness seeing everything. It is possible for us to locate our identity in any of those domains, yet the mystics would say Spirit is our true nature.

Sounds like nonsense, but when you look between the lines, the message is a beautiful one. Basically what he is saying is that we're constantly playing tug o' war with ourselves. You'll pull one way, but the other, many halves of you, are going to pull in so many more different, maybe even unknown directions. It's important to stay grounded in what you believe, while also trying new experiences at the same time. Balance the self's good and bad, while not losing yourself at the same time.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:Auld one:

Current one:

This is a photograph of a "made-out-of-nature" quirky creation that was synonymous with a local podcast I took part in a few years back.
The subject matter of the cast was the outdoors. Going for a wander, and exploring the sounds of your surroundings. Quite fitting innit? :wink:

A friend in nature indeed! It seems like a fun exercise to remind others to stop and smell the roses for a bit, get rather familiar and understand their surroundings better. Was this the only friend you managed to capture?

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:Image

A shortened view of The Great Turn, painted by Alex Grey. He did it for a Tool album, but man, fuck Tool. The art is inspiring enough alone.

An excerpt from Grey on The Great Turn;

The Great Turn is a symbol of the potential for both transformation and disaster. There are three primary compositional elements, the polarized body, the jewel web, and the background tunnel of eyes, symbolizing three levels of our self. Reflecting on the meaning of the image, the Body feels the struggle of the ego caught in the web of the Mind, yet reaches toward the light of Spirit a tunnel of infinite awareness seeing everything. It is possible for us to locate our identity in any of those domains, yet the mystics would say Spirit is our true nature.

Sounds like nonsense, but when you look between the lines, the message is a beautiful one. Basically what he is saying is that we're constantly playing tug o' war with ourselves. You'll pull one way, but the other, many halves of you, are going to pull in so many more different, maybe even unknown directions. It's important to stay grounded in what you believe, while also trying new experiences at the same time. Balance the self's good and bad, while not losing yourself at the same time.

Not going to lie, I was very excited for finding a copy of Tool's Lateralus the other day, and it was mainly for the wall-breaking artwork by my main man Alex Gray. I've always loved everything surreal and psychedelic, so his paintings really reveal the spiritual side of that to me. With everything vibrant, his work is such eye candy.

Two of my favourites :wink: :

As for Tool, the prog in me will like it hopefully.

Dayvan Cowboy
Old avatar: An edit of a Postal 2 NPC; free for any other boccers here to use.

Current avatar: A snapshot from an *ahem* adult animation run through an image corrupter, then some further meddling in GIMP
static:
animated with PhotoMosh:

Sherbet Head
Old

New but shorter bc of the 150 px laws

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:Image
Old

New but shorter bc of the 150 px laws

Getting high while looking at it, love the psychedelia continuity between the Alex Grey work and this one. :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Old 'un:

New 'un:
"Kestrel Vs The Illuminati"

The 80s VHS-esque front cover to a choose-your-own-adventure book spawned from my favourite indie sitcom about Agravaine Kestrel, a bumbling Paranormal Investigator from Yorkshire.
(Oliver Semple has rather crudely photoshopped Aggy's titular face onto a He-Man muscly Schwarzenegger torso, which to be honest was too hilarious not to make an avatar. :lol:)

I'm a big supporter of this project. So if it interests you, both series of Kestrel Investigates are up on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/@KestrelInvestigates

Sherbet Head
Old just cuz

New just cuz

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground