Anime

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
i'm a fan of what is called 'slice-of-life' anime and sometimes shoujo. animes of the slice-of-life genre usually follow the ordinary events of everyday life in an extraordinary way. here are some of my recommendations for an alternative anime experience...

drama/romance:
kimi ga nozomu eien / the eternity you desire
kita e / diamond daydreams

comedy/action:
you're under arrest!
kill me baby
hidamari sketch
nichijou
pani poni dash
azumanga daioh

you're under arrest is a campy and lighthearted series centered around the everyday lives of two female police officers. the supporting cast is often zany, yet each character has his or her relatable moments. the voice actors of the english dub are inspired for the most part, especially the main characters. there are some exciting car chases and arrests that take place throughout the series, so it gets real once in awhile. the ~50 episodes of the first series are from the mid-90's, so the animation style and soundtrack might be a little dated for some tastes. i introduce you're under arrest to irl friends who are new to the slice-of-life genre or anime in general because there's a little something for everyone.

Eagle Minded
Anyone here watch Attack on Titan? It's something I want to like, but I have mixed feelings thus far. Though I'm only 2 episodes in...
You're gonna carry that weight.

Dayvan Cowboy
I have 7 anime(s) on my shelf.

Lain:
Watched it mid-october last year. Surreal and psychological, right up my alley. I'm biased of course (check that sig. :lol: )

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex:
I *accidentally* watched the last three episodes, so I couldn't make head nor tail of it. Angry question to self: why the hell do these programs come in separate 1-7 volumes?!

Your Name:
Enjoyed this immensely, beautiful design.
Shinkai has a new film out soon. Going to be a long wait before able to watch in Europe I expect, holding out for an early physical release. "Suzume no Tojimari" ("Suzume's Locking-Up") is the title.

Spirited Away:
Great looking but I wasn't exactly enthralled by it like others are. We'll see if that changes after a re-watch.

Chaos;Head:
Umm right, this was.... interesting. Take a drink every time you hear the word "delusion"
Only thing I could take from it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
I'm currently watching this one, might be my favourite so far. Watch out Lain! Asuka and the gang might be toppling you off your small, measly spot soon! :D

One Punch Man:
An interesting concept. Fella that can defeat an opponent with one punch, who'd of guessed?
Once I've finished Evangelion I'll give this one a shot.

I'm probably so old fashioned when it comes to television and film. I don't have Netflix. I know, curb your surprise!

Dayvan Cowboy
Yu Yu Hakusho:
On episode 2 of 112 (a very daunting prospect).
Been trying out the dubbed version, I heard it's the go-to when watching Yu Yu.

Might as well mention: The catchy, fun and poppy opening titles is exactly what I imagined a 1992 adventure anime to look like, can't stop grinning at it. :)

Yep, got a good feeling about this 'un
phpBB [media]

I finished Evangelion and all of its movies last year. I'm a big Utada Hikaru fan, so hearing the themes in context (finally) was nice.

Did Cowboy Bebop a few months ago.

Riding with Sailor Moon, currently, but want to work in Ghost in the Shell too. :)
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Starting on episode 1 of Chainsaw Man.

I could only watch it in two parts on dailymotion 'cause the full episode on YouTube is subbed in Japanese not English. And unless I sign up to Sony owned Crunchyroll (whom I don't want to give any dosh to) this'll be frustratingly tricky to watch ep by ep.

Anyhow, I think Madhouse have kept true to the style of the original Manga, the episode has already enticed me with the final scene of Makima taking Denji under her wing after the inaugural bout of chainsaw destruction. It's setting itself up to be a wild ride. I just hope I'll be able to watch along in time with the rest of the madding crowd. :roll:

Boqurant
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Starting on episode 1 of Chainsaw Man.

I could only watch it in two parts on dailymotion 'cause the full episode on YouTube is subbed in Japanese not English. And unless I sign up to Sony owned Crunchyroll (whom I don't want to give any dosh to) this'll be frustratingly tricky to watch ep by ep.

Anyhow, I think Madhouse have kept true to the style of the original Manga, the episode has already enticed me with the final scene of Makima taking Denji under her wing after the inaugural bout of chainsaw destruction. It's setting itself up to be a wild ride. I just hope I'll be able to watch along in time with the rest of the madding crowd. :roll:

Nice to see another person here following CSM, I am up to date with the manga and I gotta that say you are in a for wild ride for sure! These first two episodes are very good!

Dayvan Cowboy
Remulo wrote:Nice to see another person here following CSM, I am up to date with the manga and I gotta that say you are in a for wild ride for sure! These first two episodes are very good!

Yup! Having now found a reputable place to watch it and finishing episode 2, this is going to be an awesome watch, something to keep me going for the next few months. Plus I only got a glimpse but I can't wait for more of Power's on-sceen adaptation as well!

Sherbet Head
My favorite of all time is goddamn Akira. The first time I watched it was on acid and I'll never ever fucking forget it.

Hunter x Hunter is great and Yu Yu dude from a few replies back is invited to my birthday party.

If you're into slice of life, I recommend Princess Jellyfish. More of a girl anime, but for a girl anime, kept my partner watching all 10+ episodes lol. Sadly wasn't finished, but there is a manga somewhere out there.

Samurai Champloo is great if you like Cowboy Bebop but want something a little more unique. (ALSO NUJABES!)

Dimension W is a more modern anime I gave some attention to when I was younger. Watched a few episodes as an adult and it was pretty cool. I recommend if you like promising yet bleak futures.

Osomatsu is good if you need a laugh. So much better than I remember it being.

I hate to admit it but I am more of a manga reader. Some mangas I'm waiting (patiently) on getting adapted;
- Dandadan
- Jagaaaan
- Slam Dunk

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:My favorite of all time is goddamn Akira. The first time I watched it was on acid and I'll never ever fucking forget it.

Hunter x Hunter is great and Yu Yu dude from a few replies back is invited to my birthday party.

Akira is an awe-inspiring work. Will definitely stand the test of time.
I saw it a few months ago and it instantaneously topped all other anime feature lengths I've seen.
I have decided that my second watch will be on boxing day (26th December), I always feel the follow up experiences of a certain show or film are really important.
I'm glad Akira is your favourite, it's also one o' mine. :D

Funnily enough Yu Yu has the most characters I can imagine the most in an anime as real people.
I think it's got something to do with the superb funimation dub. Everyone in the cast who lent their voice for that show delivered flawlessly.

Dayvan Cowboy
Gawddamn, halfway though Chainsaw Man and it's the best thing I've seen all year. So many layers to it.

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Gawddamn, halfway though Chainsaw Man and it's the best thing I've seen all year. So many layers to it.

If you have the time you should read it! It's long but has a little more edge and humor than the anime can allow.

Dayvan Cowboy
The only Anime i really follow is Dragonball, but i've been thinking about getting a subscription to Crunchyroll and maybe explore some other anime's. However, I already have loads of subscriptions and they are starting to add up haha. Is it worth it? Or are there some other good free services?
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
portiss wrote:The only Anime i really follow is Dragonball, but i've been thinking about getting a subscription to Crunchyroll and maybe explore some other anime's. However, I already have loads of subscriptions and they are starting to add up haha. Is it worth it? Or are there some other good free services?

Crunchyroll used to be Funimation, a reputable service before it was bought by sony. (R.I.P Funimation btw. :cry:)
The only thing I gather has changed to the service is it's branding and owner.

A good free database I may recommend is https://9anime.gs/
Is it reputable? Eeh... mostly. But, it is well known and one of the first names that pops up when you ask someone for a free service. I've had no troubles watching CSM there as each ep is released per week. It's quite a simplified site.

Warning to the wise though, if you give the name a regular ol' google search, there are quite a few fake versions. The link above is an official one.
If you don't mind a couple of ad pop-ups you shouldn't have any problems. :)

Sherbet Head
portiss wrote:The only Anime i really follow is Dragonball, but i've been thinking about getting a subscription to Crunchyroll and maybe explore some other anime's. However, I already have loads of subscriptions and they are starting to add up haha. Is it worth it? Or are there some other good free services?

Crunchyroll is where all the normies go. It's good when you're dipping your toes in and exploring but let me just go ahead and say that you're probably not gonna find much that's worthwhile (did hear that Samurai Champloo made it on there, cool but you'll know what I mean if you watch it, good vibe just an empty story). Netflix has.... not bad options for anime, same with Hulu. Just an unusual amount of 3D anime, which you either like or don't.

9anime is always good. It's dumb but truly just looking up '[anime] online watch free' works almost 8/10 times. I'd look at Crunchyroll's catalogue and see what sticks out to you, then go looking for the anime on your own.

Off-topic... found out a couple of days ago that there IS a Slam Dunk anime......... and it looks fire :shock:

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:Netflix has.... not bad options for anime, same with Hulu. Just an unusual amount of 3D anime, which you either like or don't.

You reminded me of the Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 season that Netflix produced, a travesty of justice or so I've heard. Did you watch that when it came out?

Also the live-action Cowboy Be-bop was agh... it was so-so (I hear Yu Yu Hakusho is being produced next for Netflix's live-action roster, heaven forbid!)

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
steeldancer-x wrote:Netflix has.... not bad options for anime, same with Hulu. Just an unusual amount of 3D anime, which you either like or don't.

You reminded me of the Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 season that Netflix produced, a travesty of justice or so I've heard. Did you watch that when it came out?

Also the live-action Cowboy Be-bop was agh... it was so-so (I hear Yu Yu Hakusho is being produced next for Netflix's live-action roster, heaven forbid!)

No, I do not touch 3D anime half the time (unless they use it for cars or backgrounds, then it depends). My Mom loves any anime though and I walked in on her watching it a few months ago. It did not......... look like something I would enjoy. Why mess with a world if you add nothing to it? They say the best continuations should always explore the world. Mfs be too busy rendering that they completely miss the bigger picture.

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:

No, I do not touch 3D anime half the time (unless they use it for cars or backgrounds, then it depends). My Mom loves any anime though and I walked in on her watching it a few months ago. It did not......... look like something I would enjoy. Why mess with a world if you add nothing to it? They say the best continuations should always explore the world. Mfs be too busy rendering that they completely miss the bigger picture.

You have a cool blummin mum!
It's going to be a long haul before my mother can even be convinced to watch S.E.Lain or anything Evangelion.

I tried explaining Neon Genesis plot wise and it came out like this... "so there's this lad right, his father is a bit of uncaring bastard who is the leader of a secret organization, but strangely enough he gets in touch with the kid and sticks him in a massive robo-nasty to defend the earth from extraterrestrials. Do you want to watch it?" :lol:

Sherbet Head
You have a cool blummin mum!
It's going to be a long haul before my mother can even be convinced to watch S.E.Lain or anything Evangelion.

I tried explaining Neon Genesis plot wise and it came out like this... "so there's this lad right, his father is a bit of uncaring bastard who is the leader of a secret organization, but strangely enough he gets in touch with the kid and sticks him in a massive robo-nasty to defend the earth from extraterrestrials. Do you want to watch it?" :lol:

Lol yes that sounds a bit right! I have a buddy who's Mom passed away when he was younger and his Dad's an alcoholic, in-an-out of his life all the time unless he needs something. All I will say is that this man for real thinks he's Shinji sometimes................ Shinji of all people?!?!?

Sherbet Head
I bought FLCL (maybe Fooly Cooly to some) two days ago as a Christmas present for someone... Evangelion guy worked on it, Gurren Laagen guy worked on it, and.... Ouran High School Host Club guy worked on it?!

I watched a bit of the first episode to gauge if I had made a good choice.....
1) yes I did--aliens and robots
2) you can see all three guys' thumbprints pretty much everywhere in this anime! (dude literally put an Asuke clone in the first episode)
3) it used to run on the toonami block on Adult Swim here in the states if it looks a little familiar.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground