You most recent purchase? (In general, not just music)

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
A buddy of mine has an eBay thrift shop and lets all of us get first-pick beforehand. Bought Samurai Champloo on Blu-ray, The Ghost in the Shell Stand-Alone Complex Series DVD, and Yu Yu Hakusho DVD: The Seven all for under 30$. Practically stole some of them, Champloo is going for 30-50$ in some places.

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:A buddy of mine has an eBay thrift shop and lets all of us get first-pick beforehand. Bought Samurai Champloo on Blu-ray, The Ghost in the Shell Stand-Alone Complex Series DVD, and Yu Yu Hakusho DVD: The Seven all for under 30$. Practically stole some of them, Champloo is going for 30-50$ in some places.

Lucky, lucky, lucky! :D
I keep finding cheap anime dvds in the charity shops I go in, but never collections or complete sets.
Way back this year, I snagged the 7th Vol of Stand Alone Complex: Series One, buuut, it always frustrated me that episodes were released 3 at a time in individual volumes.
I'd have to had bought the previous six releases to actually watch it in full and from the start. Thank gawd for 9anime.

I have the first four eps of Samurai Champloo, will choose watch one a day, then continue the season online. Our tastes seem to sync up Steeldancer!

The Chapter Black arc of Yu Yu is a great comedown storyline after the whirlwind of the Dark Tornament. I won't spoil it incase you haven't seen it, but finally, Koenma the Great removes his pacifier (the real thrill we were all waiting for. :wink:)
What do you think of Yu Yu, do you have any history with the manga or show? I'd be interested to hear from ya on it.

En-vi-ous of your choices to say the least.

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
steeldancer-x wrote:A buddy of mine has an eBay thrift shop and lets all of us get first-pick beforehand. Bought Samurai Champloo on Blu-ray, The Ghost in the Shell Stand-Alone Complex Series DVD, and Yu Yu Hakusho DVD: The Seven all for under 30$. Practically stole some of them, Champloo is going for 30-50$ in some places.

Lucky, lucky, lucky! :D
I keep finding cheap anime dvds in the charity shops I go in, but never collections or complete sets.
Way back this year, I snagged the 7th Vol of Stand Alone Complex: Series One, buuut, it always frustrated me that episodes were released 3 at a time in individual volumes.
I'd have to had bought the previous six releases to actually watch it in full and from the start. Thank gawd for 9anime.

I have the first four eps of Samurai Champloo, will choose watch one a day, then continue the season online. Our tastes seem to sync up Steeldancer!

The Chapter Black arc of Yu Yu is a great comedown storyline after the whirlwind of the Dark Tornament. I won't spoil it incase you haven't seen it, but finally, Koenma the Great removes his pacifier (the real thrill we were all waiting for. :wink:)
What do you think of Yu Yu, do you have any history with the manga or show? I'd be interested to hear from ya on it.

En-vi-ous of your choices to say the least.

I'm ashamed to say that I've been on-and-off with Yu Yu, and that buying this DVD was an attempt to get even deeper (turns out I bought a "Halloween" edition, meaning they're just seven spooky, out-of-order episodes :lol: ).
When I was reeeeally young, I caught a few one-off episodes on Toonami while my uncle would be watching, mainly just episodes of them sparring in the arena (Togashi really loves fight arenas huh). Had no clue what it was at the time, remained rather clueless up until after I had gotten into HxH and connected the dots from there. Currently have read up until the first 15ish chapters but definitely a long way to go. Seems like a train ride ahead! A buddy of mine that's read all of it has said that this manga was when Togashi truly began to flourish as an artist. I am down with the sickness on that.

Samurai Champloo is goodhearted fun! Not a classic by any means, but it's definitely worth its prize. I always try to describe it to others as 'Medieval Samurai Cowboy Bebop'. Which is kind of true, lol. Nujabes and fatjon compose the music for all the episodes and it is medicine for the ears (outside of our orange friends :wink: ). I've held onto Nujabes rather tightly after discovering him, he's become one of those rare artists that holds standard and sentimental value for me (just like our orange friends). Recommend giving him some of your time, all I have to say is that he is worth it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Update:
Just snagged the complete Samurai Champloo!
Seven discs, the complete bloody series. And for 3 quid, which (to be frank) is astounding. A steal/bargain etc... :D

Oh and N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton thrown in for 50p as well. I'm having a field day over here!

Dayvan Cowboy
Some vinyl;

The Haunted Youth - Dawn of the Freak
Max Richter - Three Worlds: Music from the Woolf Works
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Sherbet Head
Bought the Afro Samurai Blu-ray couple of days ago. Hellllll yeeeeaaaaah.

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Update:
Just snagged the complete Samurai Champloo!
Seven discs, the complete bloody series. And for 3 quid, which (to be frank) is astounding. A steal/bargain etc... :D

Oh and N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton thrown in for 50p as well. I'm having a field day over here!

We twinsies now. Heheheh.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hmv Middlesbrough finally got picked over by yours truly, after saving up a couple of quid for the following beauties...

1. Jon Hopkins - Music For Psychedelic Therapy (2021)

2. Frank Ocean - Channel ORANGE (2021) (only heard Blonde a few months ago, time for the real deal!)

3. Spiritualized - Pure Phase (1995)

4. Cigarettes After Sex - S/T (2017)

Some truly 'hipster' choices among those. Let me get me baggy jeans on. :lol:

Eagle Minded
Some December/January pickups :)

MUSICKS:
Dean Blunt - Black Metal (2014, 12" 2xLP)
Unknown Artist - Environments: Totally New Concepts in Sound (1969, 12" LP)
DJ Rashad - Double Cup (2013, 12" 2xLP)
Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night (1999, 12" 3xLP)
Talons' - After Talons' (2017, CD)
Jim o'Rourke - Halfway to a Threeway (1999, 12" EP)
Dawuna - Glass Lit Dream (2021, 12" LP)

BOOKS:
Talons' - The Sum of All I Own (2022)
Philip K. Dick - Valis (1981)
Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night (1962)
Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian (1985)
Henry Miller - Tropic of Cancer (1934)
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Hmv Middlesbrough finally got picked over by yours truly, after saving up a couple of quid for the following beauties...

2. Frank Ocean - Channel ORANGE (2021) (only heard Blonde a few months ago, time for the real deal!)

I have that Cigarettes After Sex album as well, and I love it. That's some proper sexy time music!
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Hmv Middlesbrough finally got picked over by yours truly, after saving up a couple of quid for the following beauties...

Pure Phase is Spiritualized's best album, in my opinion.

Dayvan Cowboy
jcnporter wrote:

It's a hard choice!

(But I also don't believe that Spiritualized has released any dud albums so far. :wink:)

Dayvan Cowboy
jcnporter wrote:

It's a hard choice!

(But I also don't believe that Spiritualized has released any dud albums so far. :wink:)

True.
I know most folk will pick Ladies and Gentlemen... but after years of listening to both I have to go for Pure Phase.
Let it Flow, All of My Tears, just magic, and Spread Your Wings is probably my favourite Spiritualized tune.
Just got their latest, though, looking forward to giving it a spin.

Dayvan Cowboy
Disc-covery's!

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Join Hands (1979)

2. Weather Report - Heavy Weather (1977)

3. Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Watch (1978)

4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy (1986)

5. Help Yourself - Reaffirmation: An Anthology 1971-1973 (2014)

6. Neil Young - Harvest Moon (1992)

7. Tangerine Dream - Encore (1977)

8. John Coltrane - Giant Steps (1960)

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Disc-covery's!

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Join Hands (1979)

2. Weather Report - Heavy Weather (1977)

3. Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Watch (1978)

4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy (1986)

5. Help Yourself - Reaffirmation: An Anthology 1971-1973 (2014)

6. Neil Young - Harvest Moon (1992)

7. Tangerine Dream - Encore (1977)

8. John Coltrane - Giant Steps (1960)

Neil Young, schweeeeeeet.

Dayvan Cowboy
Print of 1980s Soviet anti-war poster 'Nuclear War'

Happy Cycler
Love that
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Moar disc-covery's!

1. Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring (1986)

2. Skyclad - The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea (1995)

3. Prince - Lovesexy (1988)

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:My ticket to see Depeche Mode in March. I may not have been able to see NIN this year, but at least I got the jump on this one.

Have you seen em yet? Have you any thoughts on how they performed without fletcher? :)
(I don't know the US tour dates but according to their website it kicked off 23rd so maybe not as yet.)

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:My ticket to see Depeche Mode in March. I may not have been able to see NIN this year, but at least I got the jump on this one.

Have you seen em yet? Have you any thoughts on how they performed without fletcher? :)
(I don't know the US tour dates but according to their website it kicked off 23rd so maybe not as yet.)
Just saw them last night since their first stop was in my city. I can't say what they're like without Fletcher since this is the first time I've seen them live, but Gahan still displayed his usual rockstar frontmanship. There wasn't much in the way of tribute to Fletcher though, but World In My Eyes was dedicated to him with visuals of him in the background. They played something from just about every era of the band but sadly nothing from the Exciter album (their most overlooked album), I would have loved to hear "I Feel Loved" live, which is an all time favorite DM song of mine.

Considering the theme of "Memento Mori" ("Tu Fui, Ego Eris" for me), there was a strange catharsis to the experience, as I don't really anticipate going to any future concerts. As well as other darker feelings, but I'll leave that for now. Their music has been in the background for some of my lower points, so songs like "Walking in my Shoes", "A Question of Lust", "Wrong", and "Enjoy the Silence" all felt really powerful to hear live in that sense.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground