Vaporwave?

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
We see it everywhere practically. I find it fascinating and it's one of the few genres I find myself coming back to. It's rather malleable in-and-of itself and it's incredible what can be generated with it (and no not gay simpsonwave edits either).

How do you guys feel about it? I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say and takes away from it. The hauntology aspect of it is, perhaps, the most elusive thing of all. Why do these songs make you feel nostalgic if you've never even heard them before? Sounds a little.............. familiar, if you ask me.

I've included a few diverse options below to help those who are unfamiliar, or those who are interested in exploration.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Let me know what you think. Haircuts for Men and 2814 are two of my favorites. Drop any songs/thoughts that have stayed with you below.

phpBB [media]

Better detailed explanation of Vaporwave for those completely out-of-the-know.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mostly just t e l e p a t h, but he is literally entry level for me as I haven't listened to anything past him, or Haircuts For Men. It's a question of where to start. I shall dive into your reccomentions first and we'll see where I'll end up!

I do know Saint Pepsi though, so a few odds n sods.

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Mostly just t e l e p a t h, but he is literally entry level for me as I haven't listened to anything past him, or Haircuts For Men. It's a question of where to start. I shall dive into your reccomentions first and we'll see where I'll end up!

I do know Saint Pepsi though, so a few odds n sods.

I recommend watching the subgenres video then! No commentary and its all the different types of music. Some people like the 'shopping-mall'-esque of it, some people like the 'im-in-the-backseat-with-my-parents-and-we're-driving-home' about it. Go explore! There's a world out there waiting for you.
If really nothing else, it's good music to have on in the background. :]

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
I hope this suits the aim of your thread!

Setsuko Suwa - 緑豊かなファンタジー
phpBB [media]

Very much on the t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 ambient side of things but it's grown with me in the past year.
(This is the track that is primarily getting me into the genre so any recommendations based off of this would be great. I'm looking for anything similar. :) )

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I hope this suits the aim of your thread!

Setsuko Suwa - 緑豊かなファンタジー
phpBB [media]

Very much on the t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 ambient side of things but it's grown with me in the past year.
(This is the track that is primarily getting me into the genre so any recommendations based off of this would be great. I'm looking for anything similar. :) )

phpBB [media]

Anything similar, just for you!

Eagle Minded
2814 & desert sand feels warm at night are great, can't really get into anything else though. It definitely got oversaturated in the mid-2010s however right now it's honestly undergoing an interesting, more mature resurgence.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
Last American Hero by James Ferraro is one of the most magical things I've ever heard, but I really haven't gotten into the genre. Anyone here got anything similair?

Dayvan Cowboy
bungler666 wrote:Last American Hero by James Ferraro is one of the most magical things I've ever heard, but I really haven't gotten into the genre. Anyone here got anything similair?
I can vouch for that one :)

Apart from Far Side Virtual, I've only really dug his older more lo-fi sound collage type stuff. KFC CITY 3099, iAsia, and On Air all nail a really good hypnagogic nostalgia despite not being vaporwave.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
also not vaporwave, but I absolutely adore the aesthetics of Ferrarro’s Night Dolls With Hairspray. The live shows from around that time looked so fun. The whole faded high school sitcom, pastel glam-punk feeling is my favorite “vibe” of his

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

This is one of the most consistent and engrossing vaporwave mixtapes I've heard in ma journey. It's also compiled by Jason Sanders, who is a member on twoism!
Go to his vapor-vault... https://www.youtube.com/@JasonSanders/featured

Sherbet Head
bungler666 wrote:Last American Hero by James Ferraro is one of the most magical things I've ever heard, but I really haven't gotten into the genre. Anyone here got anything similair?

Last American Hero has been ascending. Thank you a million and more.

Boqurant
Ah man 2015 was the year of aesthetic, kinda miss it...
Vaporwave, as simple of an idea it is, was a milestone of Artistic expression. The see a general movment of both music and art throughout the internet was just mental... (until HK express threw a massive tantrum and ruined the major Vaporwave label Dream Records lol.)

Fav artists are an obvious batch (2814, HK, telepath, blank banshee etc.)

What exites me tho is that i think that we could get closer to a second Aesthetic/Vaporwave phase in the following year... but instead of focusing on late 80s to early 90s, the esthetic would be based around late 90s and early 2000s, with a very MTV neofuturist-ish vibe, kinda like what this guy does rn :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRCo7XQCP6Y

I dunno if i really make sense or not.
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Eagle Minded
steeldancer-x wrote:

Last American Hero has been ascending. Thank you a million and more.

You’re welcome! You should check out his album Skid Row as well if you like LAH. Really cool concept album about LA in the 90’s.

Eagle Minded
This was always peak vaporwave to me: Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCq0P509UL4 And then this legendary video from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4gl-FX2RvI Time really flies, doesn't it? (..... or does it????) :)

(Seems really circular at this point to me. We all need a new -wave movement apparently.)

Eagle Minded
uff. macplus was my shit back in the day. thanks for bringing back some ol memories

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

New Windows96 yesterday, pretty ok stuff

Eagle Minded
popped back in here to spread the word about james ferraro's jarvid 9 series. absolutely brilliant work. it's around 7 hours of material but i know we have some autechre fans in here so length won't be much of a problem, hopefully :P

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Hard to beat the classics

Dayvan Cowboy
I admit I never really listened to a whole lotta vaporwave, and sometimes I'm torn between finding it low effort or downright genius, but I definitely enjoyed listening to this album:
phpBB [media]
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Next

Return to This Random Sound