Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:I wonder if they issued a cease and desist or challenged his right to monetise the tracks. Maybe they had to register it as their own in order to do so
The registering of the old tunes songs dates back to at least 2009. This has nothing to do with the total eclipe of the VHS soup. Check this: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Registered_works

No I meant when Mister 8 was trying to sell the vhs thrift tape tracks as his own work, I didn’t know if he was just publicly shamed into stopping, or if he had a cease and desist.

I wasn't aware those old BoC tunes had been officially registered. Thats great info

Friendly Stranger
Another video dropped on the See Clip channel. This I believe is a little sneak peek at what the new songs are gonna be like.
phpBB [media]

The title is "19 21 12 21 13 21 3 18 5 20 14 5" which is translated to "SULUMUCRETNE" which is just "ENTERCUMULUS" in reverse.

Boqurant
R7CrazyCanucks wrote:Another video dropped on the See Clip channel. This I believe is a little sneak peek at what the new songs are gonna be like.
phpBB [media]

The title is "19 21 12 21 13 21 3 18 5 20 14 5" which is translated to "SULUMUCRETNE" which is just "ENTERCUMULUS" in reverse.

What was particularly funny about that was when they posted it they forgot to turn the comments off initially and someone had started giving them a bollocking about not using a band name! I think they might not realise how infuriating this is for some people

New Seed
If I recall correctly someone had made a youtube comp off all the collected tunes, it was 2 hours long or something. Does anyone have a link for that? Cheers

New Seed
The tracklist I have so far is below, it doesn't have the stuff from the See Clip in the last few days, anyone know what's missing? Can't remember where a bunch of them came from tbh. Trying to complete it - just really like the tunes:

Thrift Store VHS (42:28)
Eleven Missing Tracks (24:01)
20 8 9 19 (00:21)
G_______F______=76 (00:08)
(selection A) Offload 2 (15:23)
23 9 12 12 (00:21)
Next (01:36)
Seek (00:42)
3 8 1 14 14 5 12 (00:21)
Missing Tracks (06:59)
19 5 5 11 (02:05)
19 5 12 6 4 5 19 20 18 21 3 20 (00:21)
Random Tunes (48:04)

Boqurant
Also trying to maintain the original videos in https://youtube.com/@missingtracksarchivearchiv8411

Boqurant
losador wrote:The tracklist I have so far is below, it doesn't have the stuff from the See Clip in the last few days, anyone know what's missing? Can't remember where a bunch of them came from tbh. Trying to complete it - just really like the tunes:

Thrift Store VHS (42:28)
Eleven Missing Tracks (24:01)
20 8 9 19 (00:21)
G_______F______=76 (00:08)
(selection A) Offload 2 (15:23)
23 9 12 12 (00:21)
Next (01:36)
Seek (00:42)
3 8 1 14 14 5 12 (00:21)
Missing Tracks (06:59)
19 5 5 11 (02:05)
19 5 12 6 4 5 19 20 18 21 3 20 (00:21)
Random Tunes (48:04)

After ‘self destruct’ I have:
Rip Flip Pitch (0:34)
Reveal (2:30)
S (0:44)
T
A
C
K
Random Tunes 2 (48:03)
Last (23:00)

Again (0:11)
Revelation (0:24)
Skoll and Hati (0:25)
Incoming (1:00)
19 21 12 21 13 21 3 18 5 20 14 5 (sulumucretne) (0:41)

S,T,A,C, and K were supposed to be superimposed on top of each other and reversed.

Posts Quantity
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:
losador wrote:S (0:44)
T
A
C
K

felt it was appropriate.

Boqurant
So the @seeclip-xxxx channel is now called @eclipserecords24

The banner’s changed and the channel description says “Three More Days…”

Boqurant
So a couple of days ago I asked via the Skoll and Hati Tumblr account "Is this account officially linked to Boards of Canada"

I just got the following reply

"There will be a Q&A after 04/08/24 as this will be the last time anything will ever be uploaded in this realm"

Friendly Stranger
Could I please ask him if he's gonna upload every single one of his old and new tracks and audio as separate high quality WAV files without any crossfade?
Last edited by R7CrazyCanucks on Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R7CrazyCanucks wrote:Could I please ask him if he's gonna upload every single one of his old and new tracks as separate WAV files without any crossfade?

You have my most sincere approval.

Friendly Stranger
I wrote down some of my questions for the Q&A.

Like what music software, hardware, instruments and tools he used to create his music, and why he, his ARGs and music were so hidden and mysterious.

Boqurant
No mention of where this Q&A will take place. It did occur to me that this recent dude might not even be the original VHS dude. But instead be a dude that’s pretending to be the dude that is pretending to be the two dudes in BoC. Hopefully its not a meta hoax

Eagle Minded
I'm quite late to the party here, I remember the original thrift store video thing dropping a few years ago and it got me excited but so many people wrote it off as fake that I forgot about it.

The latest SeeClips on YT caught my attention again and I am just listening to Thrift Shop VHS Archive - Random Tunes (48:03) for the first time. For what it's worth, I believe this to be very early BoC and pretty confident that no one could produce 'fakes' this convincing (and why would they want to?). Been listening to the brothers for over 20 years; some of the sounds and atmospheres I'm hearing are the same as what is on their early tapes. Not to mention some of the exact same melodies and drum samples used on their later material.

Excited to see what comes of this Q&A. I reckon that it's BoC's version of the AFX soundcloud dump and that they can't use their band name for contractual reasons with Warp.

Ps. I would love to read the 41 pages of this thread but I've only managed the first and last few :)

Boqurant
rolypablo wrote:I'm quite late to the party here, I remember the original thrift store video thing dropping a few years ago and it got me excited but so many people wrote it off as fake that I forgot about it.

The latest SeeClips on YT caught my attention again and I am just listening to Thrift Shop VHS Archive - Random Tunes (48:03) for the first time. For what it's worth, I believe this to be very early BoC and pretty confident that no one could produce 'fakes' this convincing (and why would they want to?). Been listening to the brothers for over 20 years; some of the sounds and atmospheres I'm hearing are the same as what is on their early tapes. Not to mention some of the exact same melodies and drum samples used on their later material.

Excited to see what comes of this Q&A. I reckon that it's BoC's version of the AFX soundcloud dump and that they can't use their band name for contractual reasons with Warp.

Ps. I would love to read the 41 pages of this thread but I've only managed the first and last few :)

That’s what I thought, why would anyone put in that much effort to fool a few people? 1-2 tracks maybe, but 3+ hours? They’d have to be unhinged.
The lack of the BoC name possibly for contractual reasons.

What I’ve found the most disconcerting is people just writing it off based on their personal opinion, but presenting their opinion as the definitive truth and being really aggressive about it.

Eagle Minded
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:That’s what I thought, why would anyone put in that much effort to fool a few people? 1-2 tracks maybe, but 3+ hours? They’d have to be unhinged.

What I’ve found the most disconcerting is people just writing it off based on their personal opinion, but presenting their opinion as the definitive truth and being really aggressive about it.

Absolutely, 3+ hours as well as what comes out on Monday. It's bonkers to think that some joker would go to those lengths, for what reason?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is them and don't really feel the need to try and convince others. I'm delighted with the prospect of hearing more. I actually still haven't properly got my teeth into what is currently available. I'm using this archive, thanks for whoever compiled it https://www.youtube.com/@missingtracksa ... 411/videos

Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:That’s what I thought, why would anyone put in that much effort to fool a few people? 1-2 tracks maybe, but 3+ hours? They’d have to be unhinged.

Speaking in the context of this potentially being BoC in disguise, are you sure it's that much effort?
It doesn't sound like it. Sorry!
Listen to actual old and new BoC, that feels like effort and quality to me.

It also doesn't sound like r35tt/afot/otv2 at all. And keep in mind this arg has been going on since 2022. There's plenty of artists that can churn out more music in 2 years than what this arg creator gave us. Don't make him into a god for creating 3 hours of music in 2 years time. (He most likely even had stuff lying around before the arg started, so it's more like 3 years probably.)

And why would anyone put in this much effort?
That's called fake it until you make it. Been done many times before. Boring!

The lack of BoC name?
Occams Razor: the simplest explanation is most likely the one we're after: IT'S NOT BOC!

People just writing it off based on their personal opinion? I hope you realise you do the same but with an opposite opinion? You keep on non-stop pushing this arg forward on here and Facebook and probably Reddit too.

For a non-profit project (read this in the disclaimer) I wonder how much they "pay" all the obvious shills.

Eagle Minded
Didn't mean to upset you, buddy :D :D

For the record I don't post anything on Facebook and Reddit. I'm only just catching up on all this stuff this week. Sounds pretty legit to these ears, if it's not then I'm happy to be proved wrong. Still waiting for conclusive evidence that this material is fake. Let's see what Monday brings :)

Boqurant
I’m sorry Fredd-E!
I mean its a lot of work just to pretend to be someone else. I didn’t mean that theres no way any one can create 3 hours of music.
What I’ve said is that it might be BoC, and that it also might not be. Then pointed out how much effort thats been put in plus the quality of the music. I haven’t tried to shut anyone down, or resulted to insults, like some people have.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound