Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

rolypablo wrote:Didn't mean to upset you, buddy :D :D

For the record I don't post anything on Facebook and Reddit. I'm only just catching up on all this stuff this week. Sounds pretty legit to these ears, if it's not then I'm happy to be proved wrong. Still waiting for conclusive evidence that this material is fake. Let's see what Monday brings :)
I quoted Electronaldmcdonald2. My message wasn't aimed at you. :)

Conclusive evidence to debunk the original VHS Tape? Look no further:

The original VHS tape (with the thrift store backstory) was apparently originally titled "Strange Soup" by the uploader who then decided to claim they found it in a thrift store in Ohio and changed the video title and description. Fortunately, Google cached the original title and song titles so it was still searchable via the original name. After that was found out, they deleted the video. And Dan Fingerman reuploaded it.

Now look at the similarities of the 2023 LAST release compared to the 2022 Google Cache find.

I posted earlier about this in this thread but of course people neglected it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15032&p=312638&hilit=google+cache#p312638

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
rolypablo wrote:Didn't mean to upset you, buddy :D :D

For the record I don't post anything on Facebook and Reddit. I'm only just catching up on all this stuff this week. Sounds pretty legit to these ears, if it's not then I'm happy to be proved wrong. Still waiting for conclusive evidence that this material is fake. Let's see what Monday brings :)
I quoted Electronaldmcdonald2. My message wasn't aimed at you. :)

Conclusive evidence to debunk the original VHS Tape? Look no further:

The original VHS tape (with the thrift store backstory) was apparently originally titled "Strange Soup" by the uploader who then decided to claim they found it in a thrift store in Ohio and changed the video title and description. Fortunately, Google cached the original title and song titles so it was still searchable via the original name. After that was found out, they deleted the video. And Dan Fingerman reuploaded it.

Now look at the similarities of the 2023 LAST release compared to the 2022 Google Cache find.

I posted earlier about this in this thread but of course people neglected it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15032&p=312638&hilit=google+cache#p312638

This proves that the VHS guy was part of the ARG, and that the whole finding it in a charity shop was engineered, but how does it prove its not BoC?

Also, I don't post on Reddit. But you’re right I have posted a couple of times on Facebook. As far as I’m aware it’s OK to do so? I am totally unaccustomed to forums and their etiquette

Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:This proves that the VHS guy was part of the ARG, and that the whole finding it in a charity shop was engineered, but how does it prove its not BoC?

Also, I don't post on Reddit. But you’re right I have posted a couple of times on Facebook. As far as I’m aware it’s OK to do so? I am totally unaccustomed to forums and their etiquette

Do you really think BoC made the mistake to have an account with the 2022 tracklist on. Rebranded that account to the VHS Tape story account and unleashed that on the public. Only to be exposed by a simple Google cache search? I don't buy that, but you can if you're so inclined.

I noticed you only joined our forum in 2022. No prior interest? And you only seem to post in This Random Sound. No interest in some real BoC discussions?

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:I noticed you only joined our forum in 2022. No prior interest? And you only seem to post in This Random Sound. No interest in some real BoC discussions?

People can post wherever they happen to post. I've always liked to spread myself around the 3 subforums where there's more variety and choice of hot-topics. When I look in the BoC subforum, I just see General New Release Speculation Topic, 1000+ pages sky high at the top, yet again. :lol:
(Same could go for This Random Sound and this topic, but this only ramps up posts every March for the past 2 years)

Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:I noticed you only joined our forum in 2022. No prior interest? And you only seem to post in This Random Sound. No interest in some real BoC discussions?

People can post wherever they happen to post. I've always liked to spread myself around the 3 subforums where there's more variety and choice of hot-topics. When I look in the BoC subforum, I just see General New Release Speculation Topic, 1000+ pages sky high at the top, yet again. :lol:
(Same could go for This Random Sound and this topic, but this only ramps up posts every April for the past 2 years)

Sure they can but for someone that full of BoC I think it's odd they only post in a doubtful arg thread in This Random Sound. Your mileage may differ. :)

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:This proves that the VHS guy was part of the ARG, and that the whole finding it in a charity shop was engineered, but how does it prove its not BoC?

Do you really think BoC made the mistake to have an account with the 2022 tracklist on. Rebranded that account to the VHS Tape story account and unleashed that on the public. Only to be exposed by a simple Google cache search? I don't buy that, but you can if you're so inclined.

I noticed you only joined our forum in 2022. No prior interest? And you only seem to post in This Random Sound. No interest in some real BoC discussions?

I thought it might be deliberate to be honest. Like the fake shining cover was somehow thematic…

I’ve been a fan of BoC since the John Peel session came out in my teens, that was my jumping on point. I’m a bit anti-social by nature, but I thought I’d join in the chat. I did post some of my own music a few weeks ago to this forum, so I do try and participate. Just short on time really.

I can’t resist an ARG, I have a tendency to hyperfocus on things like that. I was worse when Lost was still on TV. Hopefully this won’t have an equally disappointing ending.

Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:I thought it might be deliberate to be honest. Like the fake shining cover was somehow thematic…

I’ve been a fan of BoC since the John Peel session came out in my teens, that was my jumping on point. I’m a bit anti-social by nature, but I thought I’d join in the chat. I did post some of my own music a few weeks ago to this forum, so I do try and participate. Just short on time really.

I can’t resist an ARG, I have a tendency to hyperfocus on things like that. I was worse when Lost was still on TV. Hopefully this won’t have an equally disappointing ending.

OMG Lost, please don't :D Six seasons, 92 hours. And that's only the viewing time...

Eagle Minded
Excuse my ignorance but what does ARG stand for?

Boqurant
rolypablo wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what does ARG stand for?

Augmented Reality Game. The Lost ARG had a ton of official looking websites for the Dharma initiative, as though they were a real organisation, and there were clues that led to other websites, that sort of thing

Friendly Stranger
That mention in the Dan Fingerman video of the Thrift Shop VHS Tape that the music could be some unreleased BoC tracks aside from the 2 covers I doubt. I believe most of Random Stranger's music is all original.

Eagle Minded
Having time on this rainy Saturday to fully listen to all this ARG stuff, I'm actually starting to doubt it's legitimacy :D :D

I may have got a little excited earlier on first skim.

What I thought may have been early versions of songs like Olson and I Saw Drones could equally just be someone else's take on them. Some of the drum beat samples could just be direct rips. There are also some 'modern' sounding percussion that doesn't sit right with stuff from that early tapes era.

Anyway, hopefully we get some closure on the matter on Monday. It's the last I'll say on it for now.

Peace.

Boqurant
Just had this response through Tumblr:

I am the original creator of the Thrift Store Tape. There is no relation between myself and Mike and/or Marcus.

On April 8th, 2024, I will issue a comprehensive statement and biography addressing all pertinent matters, followed by a Q&A session. Following this, there will be no further music uploads from me. All remaining tracks will remain unreleased. I acknowledge and understand the negative sentiment towards me, recognizing my error in taking things too far. Originally, the Alternate Reality Game (ARG) and music were intended for a found-footage VHS horror project but were prematurely discovered by certain individuals. Further details will be provided on the day of release, along with accompanying links.

That seems fairly definitive then eh?!

Posts Quantity
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:I am the original creator of the Thrift Store Tape. There is no relation between myself and Mike and/or Marcus.

On April 8th, 2024, I will issue a comprehensive statement and biography addressing all pertinent matters, followed by a Q&A session. Following this, there will be no further music uploads from me. All remaining tracks will remain unreleased. I acknowledge and understand the negative sentiment towards me, recognizing my error in taking things too far. Originally, the Alternate Reality Game (ARG) and music were intended for a found-footage VHS horror project but were prematurely discovered by certain individuals. Further details will be provided on the day of release, along with accompanying links.

I definitely want to ask if they were also involved with Sequoia Films.

Eagle Minded
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:Just had this response through Tumblr:

I am the original creator of the Thrift Store Tape. There is no relation between myself and Mike and/or Marcus.

That seems fairly definitive then eh?!

Jeeez :| He really did take it too far! Makes me glad now that I missed all of this ARG stuff until the last week and then did a very quick run through yesterday and today. I even contemplated reading back the 40 odd pages of this thread but couldn't be bothered, thank god. Talk about leading folk up the garden path :lol:

Boqurant
I genuinely really enjoyed the music, that shoegaze guitars and synths, the late-90's style layered hip-hop beats, the overall glitched out, dusty atmosphere. I also thought the ARG was really fun. The economy of some of the graphics was pretty inspired I thought too.

I'll wait for the official explanation, but as it stands it seems to be complete cowardice to not have released it under their own name.

Also, I think the "horror ARG" story provided here sounds like total BS. this whole project has been about pretending to be BoC. The track listings, the supposed dates of the recordings, the graphics. All of it made with one purpose.
They are indeed the nutcase that spent literally hundreds of hours composing original music, reverse-engineering and blending together BoC melodies and rhythms, (in sometimes really clever ways). writing an ARG, creating hours of visuals, all just to try and convince people they were someone else. That an artist would squander their talent to do this is just colossally, monumentally tragic.

Boqurant
People learning to produce music often learn by trying to emulate bands they are fans of. So I think this producer is being a bit disingenuous claiming that they weren’t trying to pass their work off as unreleased BOC, but at the same time that doesn’t mean they were only producing to deceive, or wasting their time. Everything they have done will have given them experience in making music in the future that can stand on its own without pretending to be somebody else.

Posts Quantity
Not surprised, not even the slightest. What a waste of energy.
1986 Summer Fire

Sherbet Head
Finally this nonsense is coming to an end and about time

Sherbet Head
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:
R7CrazyCanucks wrote:Another video dropped on the See Clip channel. This I believe is a little sneak peek at what the new songs are gonna be like.
phpBB [media]

The title is "19 21 12 21 13 21 3 18 5 20 14 5" which is translated to "SULUMUCRETNE" which is just "ENTERCUMULUS" in reverse.

What was particularly funny about that was when they posted it they forgot to turn the comments off initially and someone had started giving them a bollocking about not using a band name! I think they might not realise how infuriating this is for some people

Yeah I noticed he turned the comments off immediately after I posted that lmao

Posts Quantity
https://vocaroo.com/1nuwA2zbLS5a

Track at 03:16 is pretty catchy actually.
1986 Summer Fire

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound