The Internet Is Evil! WAKE UP!

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: planet daz
Image

moonfruit wrote:I do not think that Internet is evil. We have brain in order to filter unuseful information and to keep balance between the time we spend in the Internet and real life. Internet gives us an opportunity to study fast and to gain information by a mouse click.
How much of what we, on an individual level, deem useful is actually contributing to the greater collective unconscious that the internet purports to be the mainstream. The internet isn't evil, it's eldritch at this point, evolving too fast for us to get ourselves in cooperative control. Maybe it was just inevitable from the start, but I'm glad to live in an ADHD riddled world that's just one homepage click away from hearing 3 different video exposes on popular animator "Johnny Ursine" and how he fucked his sister when he was thirteen. Much of the internet is either heavily homogenized or complete cesspools, although those aren't mutually exclusive either. The ideals of the individual has been increasingly atomized over just the past decade.

Techboy wrote:There is a good reason for Google wanting you to use your real name on YouTube - because it's notoriously got the worst comments section on the entire internet barring 4chan and not much else. It's too "mainstream" for its users to be trusted with anonymity. At least on forums there is moderation.
I don't agree with it, I just understand it.
I remember when people would joke about how horrible the YT comment sections were but they're a fucking gala event compared to most social media. I've seen better displays of thought in a goddamned xvideos comment section than most of Twitter discourse.

Who gives a shit about corporations gathering data to sell ads at this point, when time and time again the pendulum of ideology swings harder and harder in either direction as the world literally burns and we're streamlined 24-hour coverage on how shitty the human race is until we have any other alternative view beaten out of us.

Nostalgia isn't real, things were never better, but things can get better. What do I know, I'm just some 19 y/o on the internet anyway.

Why'd you have to get so hysterical?
Why'd you have to get so fucking useless?

Image
Image
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
...
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2084
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Everything's creation starts as a state of mind. Important to remember, especially when getting out of your head is not freedom but mental health damage via procrastination. The internet is a major factor in that.
Maybe the same faces day by day is a good thing. Building a stronger level of communication with anyone has it's pluses. Online is trickier of course, the milieu of trust has something to say about that.

Makes me sit and wonder, is there anyone out there?
Online life isn't a bad thing by any means, consumption though is the main negative. What do you consume, and how much, is key.
As soon as the laptop is closed, you see your world, not what the internet portrays your to be. Ultimately decide your own outlook beyond the mere code of the Microsoft Billionaires.

Edgy is a state of mind. And state's of mind are created by consumption and emotion.
Take the love, forget the hate. If everyone did that, our life would be ultimately better on this pale blue dot.
phpBB [media]


Your friendly, good for nothin' edgy 17 year old at your service.
Image

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2084
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
The slap of reality: I don't half talk a lot of psychological jargon sometimes. Monty Python doesn't help in my post either.

The internet is so much more vivid entertainment wise than reality, that's why billions spend their waking hours on it. Escapism becomes the reality for so many. Me included.
But I'm shutting my laptop. I'll see you all again when my screen eventually brightens tomorrow.

Yet, I'm here.
If someone talked to you the way you talk to yourself, I'd feel insulted.

Love yourself. :}
Image

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: planet daz
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Everything's creation starts as a state of mind. Important to remember, especially when getting out of your head is not freedom but mental health damage via procrastination. The internet is a major factor in that.
Maybe the same faces day by day is a good thing. Building a stronger level of communication with anyone has it's pluses. Online is trickier of course, the milieu of trust has something to say about that.

Makes me sit and wonder, is there anyone out there?
Online life isn't a bad thing by any means, consumption though is the main negative. What do you consume, and how much, is key.
As soon as the laptop is closed, you see your world, not what the internet portrays your to be. Ultimately decide your own outlook beyond the mere code of the Microsoft Billionaires.

Edgy is a state of mind. And state's of mind are created by consumption and emotion.
Take the love, forget the hate. If everyone did that, our life would be ultimately better on this pale blue dot.

Your friendly, good for nothin' edgy 17 year old at your service.

Believe it or not, I actually try my damnedest to look at things in a positive and/or constructive way, but it can have the adverse effect of amplifying the negativity of the outside world.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:The slap of reality: I don't half talk a lot of psychological jargon sometimes. Monty Python doesn't help in my post either.

The internet is so much more vivid entertainment wise than reality, that's why billions spend their waking hours on it. Escapism becomes the reality for so many. Me included.
There's nothing inheirently wrong with escapism, but sometimes I feel we leave more behind than we bring back when we engage in it. Things like big band music and Looney Tunes kept a post war world going through troubling times, but also things like abstract expressionism. It's why I turned to art in the first place; I've had so much media injected into my mind over the years, and this is the result.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:Yet, I'm here.
If someone talked to you the way you talk to yourself, I'd feel insulted.

Love yourself. :}
If that's in regards to the last couple lines, that's just a Bloc Party lyric, and directed at the aimless shouting matches on the internet.
Image
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
...
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2084
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
rodox_head wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Yet, I'm here.
If someone talked to you the way you talk to yourself, I'd feel insulted.

Love yourself. :}
If that's in regards to the last couple lines, that's just a Bloc Party lyric, and directed at the aimless shouting matches on the internet.


Apologies.
Oddly, it turns out that phrase I used is a lyric itself from an IDLES song. I should've used quotation marks.
Image

Recently read somewhere that there are more than 37 million YouTube channels out there. That's a lot of people, and a lot of opportunities for anonymous anger.
Understood game/set/match.
Image

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 571
Joined: 2 Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
Is a knife evil? It can be used to save someone's life on the operation table, or it can be used to slit someone's throat. But is the knife itself responsible for the deed?

As with anything, the tools at our disposal are neutral. Much more important is the state of mind of the person that is using the tool. It can be used as an expression of freedom, love, compassion or creativity. Or alternatively it can be used as an instrument for fear-mongering, greed, hatred, escapism or self glorification.

Take your pick.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: planet daz
Gazebo4 wrote:Is a knife evil? It can be used to save someone's life on the operation table, or it can be used to slit someone's throat. But is the knife itself responsible for the deed?

As with anything, the tools at our disposal are neutral. Much more important is the state of mind of the person that is using the tool. It can be used as an expression of freedom, love, compassion or creativity. Or alternatively it can be used as an instrument for fear-mongering, greed, hatred, escapism or self glorification.

Take your pick.

This is why I call it eldritch, not evil. It can lead to one's empowerment, as well as destruction. It's like the sun... or pornography.
Image
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
...
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: planet daz
Gazebo4 wrote:Is a knife evil? It can be used to save someone's life on the operation table, or it can be used to slit someone's throat. But is the knife itself responsible for the deed?

As with anything, the tools at our disposal are neutral. Much more important is the state of mind of the person that is using the tool. It can be used as an expression of freedom, love, compassion or creativity. Or alternatively it can be used as an instrument for fear-mongering, greed, hatred, escapism or self glorification.

Take your pick.
I neglected to point out that this is an argument that can be applied to just about anything, from guns to water to marshmallows.
Image
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
...
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Banned !
Posts: 342
Joined: 12 Jul 2019
Is evil evil? Is good good?

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1247
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: planet daz
Sl Flk wrote:Is evil evil? Is good good?

-It's not uncommon for people to worship the same god and still disagree.
-God? Are you sure you don't mean devil?
-Whichever you like.
Image
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
...
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 571
Joined: 2 Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
Sl Flk wrote:Is evil evil? Is good good?


Image
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 Jan 2021
I think the internet can seem evil. If we look at this system as something we are competing against in evolutionary terms, it seems to be feeding on us like a parasite before replacing us. If we look at it as a part of us, we appear to be transforming ourselves and getting upgrades. If we think of it as something we are in, then this would be the early stages of new world we might inhabit. I imagine Earth itself would have been pretty evil after only a few decades.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Banned !
Posts: 1971
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
The internet, a vast and interconnected network, offers unprecedented access to information but also harbors significant dangers and skepticism. Yet, in the spirit of Hideo Kojima's vision of Ludens, or "playing humans," the internet also represents a remarkable evolution in how humanity learns, interacts, and creates. Much like the enigmatic world of Death Stranding, where the protagonist Sam Bridges connects isolated communities to rebuild society, the internet serves as a powerful tool for unifying disparate individuals across the globe.

In Death Stranding, the Chiral Network symbolizes hope and progress, enabling people to share knowledge and resources despite the perilous landscape. Similarly, the internet fosters innovation, collaboration, and cultural exchange, transforming the way we work, play, and understand each other. Kojima's Ludens are emblematic of this evolution—humans who explore, adapt, and thrive through play and interaction. The internet embodies this playful spirit, offering platforms for creativity, learning, and connection.

While the digital world has its share of threats, it also empowers users to bridge gaps, discover new possibilities, and foster meaningful relationships. In both the game and reality, the key lies in balancing caution with optimism, embracing the internet's potential to enhance human experience while remaining vigilant against its dangers. Thus, the internet, much like the Chiral Network, becomes a symbol of humanity's enduring quest to connect, evolve, and flourish in an ever-changing world.
Image

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 521
Joined: 10 Apr 2021
The internet is evil. Wake up. Turn that smile upside down. Convince me otherwise

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Banned !
Posts: 1971
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
phpBB [media]
Image

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2084
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
OMG do shut up. I remember the arvy that used to say things, not have 99% of his input be youtube links. Where's that guy?
He must have got lost in the war propaganda and Sam Hyde worship rabbithole.

I feel you have an ounce of respect for me than for the people who constantly put you down on this forum, so please listen, you're so one note now arvy. I am getting annoyed.
Image

User avatar
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 1829
Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Hey, Arvy. I was being nice when I gave you a month-long ban, but it's been nothing but an ironic evil since you've been back, so have a permanent one.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2084
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
2020k wrote:Hey, Arvy. I was being nice when I gave you a month-long ban, but it's been nothing but an ironic evil since you've been back, so have a permanent one.


The thing for arvy is, originally, with his spamming of youtube links, while the content of which is not acceptable in any form, I personally could skip over it very easily. Piece of cake. In this regard it's a very low-key form of trolling, it was just the tiniest smidge less harmful than spewing actual verbal bile of his own (yet nethertheless he was spamming it from other people's open mouths instead).
I wanted to remain calm with him. Yet the AMOUNT of warnings he has received explicitly for these types of videos, it's not on.

In fact I think the reason he continued with it recently and increased it, was in part just to rile up NTFMTS, who takes his bait.
It's obvious that we were all getting pretty fed up with him, but I did think after his break he might've had some other words to say or been more tempered. I hoped so, get a bit of conversation going from him at the very least and some change. Unfortunately he just resorted to the same old, same old.
This what frustrated me this morning. I'm sorry for my exasperation but it's damn disheartening to see someone continue on this path, further away from what input they were capable of. ie: He has said good stuff in his 11 years!

If you're reading this arvy, I care for your mental state even with the rhetoric you profess, I don't think you can change unless you have a real go at it and get out of those horrible negative rabbitholes.
Image

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 521
Joined: 10 Apr 2021
Orbited insanitarium wrote:The thing for arvy is, originally, with his spamming of youtube links, while the content of which is not acceptable in any form, I personally could skip over it very easily. Piece of cake. In this regard it's a very low-key form of trolling, it was just the tiniest smidge less harmful than spewing actual verbal bile of his own (yet nethertheless he was spamming it from other people's open mouths instead).
I wanted to remain calm with him. Yet the AMOUNT of warnings he has received explicitly for these types of videos, it's not on.

In fact I think the reason he continued with it recently and increased it, was in part just to rile up NTFMTS, who takes his bait.
It's obvious that we were all getting pretty fed up with him, but I did think after his break he might've had some other words to say or been more tempered.


Cmon now, I hope you're not blaming me with the way you worded that. Sure you could say I took the bait, but I have no tolerance for bigotry, especially on this forum which I've loved to visit for years. I guess if I had known Arvy better before all the spam, I could've in retrospect been more patient or polite about it.

One other matter, I'm like 99% sure Arvy used a sock puppet profile, Nox, while he was still banned. So I don't think he was taking any mental inventory on his ban, sadly. I was going to give him my good graces and just leave him be, but I can't say I'm surprised he went and got himself banned so fast.

I do really sympathize with how you feel disheartened by seeing someone slowly turn into something else and go into these kind of permanently online, negative spaces. It happens to the most normal and pleasant people, and it happens so often and is truly sad. I've had a handful of friends spiral into these hateful spaces, and it breaks my heart.

And this reiterates my feelings on why the internet is evil.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2084
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
NTFMTS wrote:Cmon now, I hope you're not blaming me with the way you worded that. Sure you could say I took the bait, but I have no tolerance for bigotry, especially on this forum which I've loved to visit for years. I guess if I had known Arvy better before all the spam, I could've in retrospect been more patient or polite about it.


Not at all! Any blame is entirely with him, he had the control of whether to post or not. But if he feeds on getting reactions out of people, he certainly got what he wanted, and notably from you.

I'm sure we can all agree on the content of his posts and that there were several pleas to him and the moderators to stop it. I noticed whenever you challenged him in the past on his off-topic and propaganda videos that it was rare to ever get any kind of response back from him.
It felt at points that he was posting to get a rise. I don't know how the phrase "don't feed the troll" fits into this particular context but I'm sure it does.
Image

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests