is it all hoax?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
My humble opinion is that a significant part of tracks from these pre-Twoism releases are all stuffed up in Old Tunes Vol 1 & 2 and A Few Old Tunes. Names might be changed, tracks might be remixed, mashed up etc. (hence no match to the supposed track lengths). Most probably I'm wrong, but whatever. There are a lot of tracks to name on OTVol1.
Last edited by bioluminescence on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
bioluminescence wrote:My humble opinion is that a significant part of tracks from these pre-Twoism releases are all stuffed up in Old Tunes Vol 1 & 2 and A Few Old Tunes. Names might be changed, tracks might be remixed, mashed up etc. (hence no track time match). Most probably I'm wrong, but whatever.

I've been thinking the exact same thing for forever now.

Dayvan Cowboy
did someone say motherfucker? thats ME god dammit....whos got beef?..i got the mutherfuckin bar-b-que

Dayvan Cowboy
i think people should start buying boards of canada music instead of downloading...it bugs me when people learn of a band and just download the whole discography

Posts Quantity
YELLOW wrote:i think people should start buying boards of canada music instead of downloading...it bugs me when people learn of a band and just download the whole discography

I've known about them for two years.
I could buy all their vinals / albums.
BuT Im a PoOo r gUrL TrYiN 2 suPpOrT
miSelF~ *snap snap* Plus their cds are
harder to find then a bitch and warp
records overcharges. Those damns
Brits(I say damn Brits in a respectful
tone) But c'mon THIRTY DOLLARS FOR A
SHIRT?

Happy Cycler
VIATRIPHOP wrote:
YELLOW wrote:i think people should start buying boards of canada music instead of downloading...it bugs me when people learn of a band and just download the whole discography

I've known about them for two years.
I could buy all their vinals / albums.
BuT Im a PoOo r gUrL TrYiN 2 suPpOrT
miSelF~ *snap snap* Plus their cds are
harder to find then a bitch and warp
records overcharges. Those damns
Brits(I say damn Brits in a respectful
tone) But c'mon THIRTY DOLLARS FOR A
SHIRT?

Boo. Get a second job. I work long hours so I can buy other things I want as well as pay my bills.

Can't find their cd's or vinyls?

http://www.ebay.com
http://www.amazon.com
http://gemrecords.gemm.com (ANYTHING BOC, THEY HAVE A LOT!)

It's all about owning the vinyls, they sound so nice. I have spent a lot of money on their vinyls and cds and other artists vinyls cds as well. I can understand downloading the music you can't buy, as in they do not press the album anymore, but not downloading all of their music that you CAN buy. I heard Geogaddi the first time on amazon and bought it the next day at the record shop, after that I was hooked on collecting all of their music on vinyl and cd.

A lot of people stick their pointy nose in the air and say, "It's not about owning the music, it's about hearing it!!!"<-------- those people don't have money.

By the way:
Last edited by polar sky on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
right on polar. listening to vinyl is my most favorite way to listen to ANY music. BoC especially.

Happy Cycler
The Other wrote:right on polar. listening to vinyl is my most favorite way to listen to ANY music. BoC especially.

The pops, the cracks, the static, the noise it makes when the arm goes back to it's holder when either side is over with... Good stuff. Hey the music is good too right??? :D

Dayvan Cowboy
polar sky wrote: Hey the music is good too right??? :D

JUST a lil bit. :wink:

Boqurant
Isn't BOC going to release the earlier stuff someday? I thought they would do it. They would make a ton of money.

Happy Cycler
bluecrayons wrote:Isn't BOC going to release the earlier stuff someday? I thought they would do it. They would make a ton of money.

Well, for them, it's probably not about the money. I mean, shit, if they wanted to, they could take over the world. That's just not their style.

Dayvan Cowboy
VIATRIPHOP wrote:But c'mon THIRTY DOLLARS FOR A SHIRT?

Haha I know, I really want one of those. One of these days....
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
id make my own shirt...i made a boc patch using several different logos, like the B with the O and C inside and the one with trees and the one with the face, i cut that out and stenciled it onto my backpack

Sherbet Head
Hi,

Saeson's Greetings! :wink:

Well I was clearing out the loft this afternoon and stumbled across the Jockey Slut from Dec 2000 with the BOC interview and noticed the discogarphy. It's all in the BOC Pages (bles you Fredd) but to save you the load time:

"
Acid Memories (Music 70, 1989)
Absurdly rare, cassette-only release from the barely teen Boards, then six-strong. Guitars meet electronics in embryonic but recognisably Boards-ian melodicism.

Play by Numbers (Music 70, 1994)
Five-track CD from what was now a trio, boasting a My Bloody Valentine influence in places, shifting further into electronics in others.

Hooper Bay (Music 70, 1994)
Closer still: the use of kids' voices was a hint of what was to come. People pay small fortunes for copies.
"

Now, there's two things here: Firstly the descriptions add weight to the claim that they are real (or against the counter argument, if you prefer); Secondly, if Acid Memories is a six piece BOC and Play by Numbers a three piece (presumbely Chris 'Christ' Horne) I reckon it's less likely we'll see Acid Memories as a re-release because of the royalties issues it'll create. It's just simpler and easier to re-release work that's by M+M only.

They've never said what the mooted boxed set would or wouldn't contain so it's possible bits will remain missing for the forseeable future.

Just a thought, anyway.

Boqurant
^^That's a good point about royalties and such.

Eagle Minded
Moebius wrote:Ignoring prince monolulu, who is having some fun (his name is a clear reference to princemurat, the individual on WATMM who posted two actual old tunes tapes for sale on eBay)...

The fact of the matter is the source of the pre-Twoism discography - by which I mean Catalog 3, Acid Memories, Closes Vol. 1, Play By Number and Hooper Bay - is the offical Boards of Canada web site. Back when http://www.boardsofcanada.com was still being run by the Cosmic Crofter (creator of the even older EHX site), these items appeared on the discography one day some time in 1999. They weren't up more than a few months before the squabbling on the IDM mailing list about whether they were a hoax came to a head, prompted CC to weigh in. He maintained they are real, albeit private self-financed releases from the early days of the band, most likely never distributed outside a small circle of friends - he stated that he himself had not heard them.

But as those adorable tykes on Reading Rainbow say, you don't have to take my word for it. Check out the old BoC discography from the Internet Archive, and read the Cosmic Crofter's announcement on the idm list.
Had difficulties finding the Cosmic Crofter's announcement on the Internet Archive. But I believe this is the original announcement:
-------- EHX Boards of Canada web pages announcement ------------
First of all hello to all and thank you for even taking the trouble to check out the BoC website. A lot of work went into it from all of us and the very large majority of correspondance concerning it has been very favourable.

Please note, I am not lurker of IDM, another subscriber alerted me the recent threads. I am writing to perhaps set the record straight, but more to attempt to clear myslef of a few unfair accusations.

I did not realise that the issue of the discography would cause such a stir! Perhaps it would be more rewarding to me if people in enjoyed the other aspects of the site, like the general design, the gallery etc, which BoC feel are just as important.

With respect to the pre-Twoism releases in particular, I can confirm that I personally have not known about them for long either. The for reasons this I can probably explain. Mike and Marcus have been making music for a very long time, using a wide range of instruments and with a large number of other people over the years. For some time now they have had their own self-financed "company" called Music 70, which is a collection of like minded close friends, who produce all types of art: audio and visual. The large majority of the music, film and photography they produce, is part of their life-long love, and remains such to this day. Much of what they do is copied for each other and their friends, and this still happens. It is not for distribution in record stores and I am confident that there is a lot more to come. **The entries you see in the discography are simply homage to this string of product**. The recordings are real. Twoism is real and was self-financed, why cant others exist?

BoC's decision never to mention these items before is their own. But I will say that there is definitely NO financial gain here, and there is no particular timing in the announcement, particularly as "hype" for their new album. They ARE recording a new album, and I find it a pity that some people view the discography as simply a mechanism to artificially pump interest in BoC prior to its release, this is NOT the case. We have been talking about re-doing the website since the last album came out, so these counter-claims are simply rubbish. In fact I find these statements insulting and I am quite sure Mike and Marcus would too.

There is no rule about what you should and should not put in your own discography. Obviously BoC would have known that these recordings would cause interest. Once again: they were not demos. Someone rightly stated that BoC have a huge catalog of unreleased recordings. Isn't this the case for every other artist? The fact is that none of us, not even me, will hear them. I am afraid that even the most fanatical BOC listeners will have to live with that!

Now for the main reason for this statement:

As for my "disclaimer" on the discography page about making copies: this is totally out of necessity. I too have a full and busy life, and it is totally true that I do not have any time to distribute copies of BoC's material. Apart from anything else, I am simply not allowed. All of BoC's music is copyright and I honour that privelage. It is not that I "do not care". Someone mentioned that I sold copies of Twoism a while back, this is completely incorrect. At that time, I doubt if 1% of the people on this had even heard of BoC. Mike brought round 5 copies of Twoism, which I sent to people who emailed me, and who I felt had a strong interest in the band. In return I received a few records of other artists, as a thank you for my efforts. I have not made ONE PENNY from BoC.

Again, I am insulted at the accusation that I have, or ever will. If you understood my original reasons for EHX as a whole, which features many other artists apart from BoC, my intention was a non-profit organisation which broadcast the music of Edinburgh to the world, as I feel it has a lot to offer as a music making city, even though most the artists are distinct entities. I will continue this as long as I can and in whatever shape or form. I do not receive ANY funding from associated labels or artists. The most I get is bunch of promos and tapes for which I am very grateful.

Once again, BoC are not at all happy of the copies of their music that are made. Sometimes it is a fact of life, but they have their own philosophy and reasons for being this way. I would issue caution however, to people who offer money for, or advertise illegal copies of, their music. They are NOT into it. And this goes for their artwork too.

On the subject of recordings, the "sounds" page WILL contain some realaudio soon. Again, this was stalled due to a mixture of time and resources, and also to generate a little anticipation! It will features short clips of music old and new, with perhaps some pleasant surprises. Stay tuned!

Finally, feel free to comment on the rest of the site! There is a lot more to talk about. I have not read one single posting about about their gallery of pictures and photographs, which they are very proud of. They are very interested in film and photography as anyone who has seen them live will tell you. It is an integral part of their show.

I am slightly phased about having to write this message, but I felt I had to, and did not feel it was appropriate to publish it on the site itself. I hope now that this thread can now end and that other more deserving topics can take up your mailbox.

Feel free to contact me directly, and most of all, enjoy the music! There is a whole lot more to come from EHX in the near future, watch our for superb underground releases from Benbecula, Kasbah, Realtime and Kovac.

Peace and love to you all,
The Cosmic Crofter

EHX - Electronic Audio Artform in The Capital
crofter@ehx.ednet.co.uk
http://www.ednet.co.uk/~ehx

np. boc maxima

Sherbet Head
Well damn, this 13 year old thread just rose from the grave! :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:Well damn, this 13 year old thread just rose from the grave! :mrgreen:
Def more interesting than the Speculation thread.

Posts Quantity
Yes for the last time. There is no such thing as Boards Of Canada.
They're just a collection of rats in rubber men suits...
wake up sheeple!

Dayvan Cowboy
They're on to us :shock:

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada