Geogaddi easter eggs

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
hey everyone, first post. here's some interesting geogaddi easter eggs that aren't yet listed on fredd-e's website.

title: Geo gad di

Geo: geometry geography geology geodesy geoid ect...
"words beginning with the prefix "geo-" should not be considered as only referring to the earth . . ."
"Insure that for Geoid it is stated that it usually corresponds to mean sea level but it is not the same."

gad: God And Devil

di: two

Gog and Magog
this can be spelled with geogaddi if you subtract the d and add an m
some thoughts on the missing m: e+d+d =m; or d+i=m; also boc have said 'm' is their favorite letter.

"Appearing in both Genesis and Revelation, Gog and Magog have long been associated with beginnings and endings.
Passing into late classical and medieval literature and history from biblical tradition, the two were sometimes a single being (Gogmagog), sometimes separate (Gog and Magog), sometimes ethnic groups (the races of Gog and Magog), and sometimes lands. Amorphous terms, the names were at one time or another attached to the Scythians, Goths, Saracens, Jews, and the gigantic sons of Albina, among others. For many medieval writers, Gog and Magog functioned as typological metaphors, names that could be appropriated to whatever was alien, threatening, or actively hostile in a manner that paralleled biblical usage."

Track titles:
66 words
70 words or letters (a, b, b, c)
69 words, letters, and numbers if you subtract magic window

radar is the only palindromic word

If you subtract the d, you can spell “was I alive?” (analogous to the "you might be dead" in dawn chorus)
with the only 4 title words that form dictionary words backwards as well as forwards: I, saw, a, and devil

also interesting is the placement of the track "i saw drones" because
“(I saw) alpha and omega” followed by “I saw (drones) the devil” (is in the details)

There is a bible verse in Exodus 33 where god says to moses "no man can see my face and live."

towards the end of the track "the beach at redpoint" it sounds uncannily like hell has opened up
to the album's protagonist.

in the next track opening the mouth it sounds almost definately that the kid is saying ‘awesome’ which word that has very specific biblical usages specifically referring to the presence of god.

then in alpha and omega ("i am the alpha and the omega") if you listen to the bongos there is a segment where they go eerily off-key and i always get the impression that this is the moment that the protagonist loses his mind with the remainder of the album documenting this insanity and his eventual death.

thus "no man can see my face and live" but here boc subverts that statement by having HELL open up to reveal God, the alpha and omega. thus “(I saw) alpha and omega” followed by “I saw (drones) the devil”
equating the two (also done with "a GOD with HOOVES")

Music is math:
it sounds like the vocodered singing voice is saying ". . . don’t go (over)"
in any case something is being said and given the church-like singing it probably was a phrase spoken by a religious figure of some sort that they took and 1969ed it.
also, there are many ominous, ritualistic booms or gongs very low in the mix towards the end.

You could feel the sky:
I can't for the life of me hear anything approximating "take my hand"
rather, it distincly sounds like the words after "two, too, to" actually change a few times, like (but not necessarily in this order)

Two blades
to
To blaze
to
Too late
to
Two fires
to
to play

which if you add all together, intimates a sacrificial offering (or trial) by knife and fire (which fits perfectly with the intimations of "opening the mouth")

Corsair
Sounds extremely similar forwards or backwards. almost like a transition to the perfect reversability of the silence of magic window

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm scared.

Hi!

Sherbet Head
"towards the end of the track "the beach at redpoint" it sounds uncannily like hell has opened up
to the album's protagonist. "

Because you know what that sounds like? :roll:

Arguabley the sound of "hell opening up" is the sound of a volcanic eruption (it certianly would have seemed that way to people before it was understood) which interestingly does appear on the album, at the start of Dandelion.

Your analysis of the track names - Alpha & Omega, I Saw Drones and The Devil Is In The Details is extremely tenuous IMO. In not sure there's anything in this at all.

Welcome, and I hope you had fun doing it, but you can go too far with this stuff, don't you think?

Happy Cycler
Why don't you just enjoy the music and quit being all CSI.

I know everyone gets crazy trying to find out every little thing, I know I did. I wish I hadn't too. I think it takes away from the music. You spend all this time looking for stuff and you're not even finding out what it really means, cause they are the ones who wrote it. As for them putting easter eggs in their albums? I doubt they do that. I am sure they get pretty annoyed with the fact that people go on the net to find out what voice came from what tv show in the 70's or 80's. I don't mind seeing it sometimes too, I have posted things about it! But they probably hate that their fans care more about finding what samples they used more than their albums music, rather than just kicking back and listeing, thinking up their own thoughts. IMO! :wink:

Welcome too.

Eagle Minded
I agree with polar sky, this is..uh. I just like the music, this seems kind of silly :(

Happy Cycler
esselfortium wrote:I agree with polar sky, this is..uh. I just like the music, this seems kind of silly :(

I mean, I am not saying I do not like to know about BoC and what they do. But, I think people (my self too) can get way tooooo into it.

Friendly Stranger
some of it is a little tenuous. of course i can only imagine what hell would sound like. the last thing i want to do is solve geogaddi. i enjoy the music so much more than analyzing it. but after you've listened to an album more than a thousand times you naturally start to notice stuff whether you want to or not. i believe there is a narrative in geogaddi however vague it may be, and no one can deny there are more than a few religous references. the interpretation i've offered is my own and merely a suggestion.

Happy Cycler
thaesafhma wrote:some of it is a little tenuous. of course i can only imagine what hell would sound like. the last thing i want to do is solve geogaddi. i enjoy the music so much more than analyzing it. but after you've listened to an album more than a thousand times you naturally start to notice stuff whether you want to or not. i believe there is a narrative in geogaddi however vague it may be, and no one can deny there are more than a few religous references. the interpretation i've offered is my own and merely a suggestion.

Well, yeah. There are all kinds of things going on in Geogaddi. It's a story for sure.

Dayvan Cowboy
Overanalysing stuff just ends up making everything dull IMO...but it's neat to see different opinions/perspectives.

I've always thought that in Music Is Math, the vocoder voice is saying "We All Fall Down", like in 'ring-around-the-rosy', yknow...that's what I hear anyway. Not sure if anyone's mentioned that before, just my own crazy thoughts 8)
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
I started a topic about the 'ring around the roses bit'... I think it was called "we all fall down." I can hear it

Dayvan Cowboy
perfect album. if there was some prolific scheme in the track names that would be sick.

Dayvan Cowboy
yeah read the interviews...marcus and mike did not intend for any of the things youre talking about in my opinion

Friendly Stranger
some artists intentionally mislead interviewers. or they only give part of the picture. generally, i don't believe much of what they say beyond their studio techniques.

but anyway, does anyone else have any thoughts as to narrative structure? it doesn't have to be all-encompassing, maybe just an observation about a particular track.

like the nature of the title tracks, not meant to explain anything, just something to think about, kind of pool our knowledge of the album's intricacies. for me at least, it make the listening richer and more thought provoking.

0. ready, lets go- imperative sentence, second person plural

1: music is math- declarative sentence, third person singular

2: beware the friendly stranger: imperative sentence, second-person singular

3: gyroscope: noun, man-made "device for measuring or maintaining orientation. once spinning, tends to resist changes to its orientation"

4. dandelion: noun, found on seafloor "they are colonial organisms — each cluster is composed of many organisms living in close association with one another."

5. sunshine recorder: noun, man-made to record natural phenomenon "when the sun shines with sufficient intensity, the sphere focuses the light on the paper, which is burned at that spot. At the end of the day, the length of the burnt track on the paper enables the sunshine duration to be calculated. When the sun shines, the sensor that is best aimed at the sun receives the highest light intensity. The older type of recorders required the interpretation of the results by an observer and these may have differed from one person to another."

6. in the annexe: location, lack of subject

7. julia and candy: names

8. smallest weird number: number, 70

9. 1969: date

so it starts off with three sentences, followed three objects (center, sea, and sky), then location, names, number, and date
not particularly random. any thoughts?

Posts Quantity
thaesafhma wrote:some artists intentionally mislead interviewers. or they only give part of the picture. generally, i don't believe much of what they say beyond their studio techniques.

but anyway, does anyone else have any thoughts as to narrative structure? it doesn't have to be all-encompassing, maybe just an observation about a particular track.

like the nature of the title tracks, not meant to explain anything, just something to think about, kind of pool our knowledge of the album's intricacies. for me at least, it make the listening richer and more thought provoking.

0. ready, lets go- imperative sentence, second person plural

1: music is math- declarative sentence, third person singular

2: beware the friendly stranger: imperative sentence, second-person singular

3: gyroscope: noun, man-made "device for measuring or maintaining orientation. once spinning, tends to resist changes to its orientation"

4. dandelion: noun, found on seafloor "they are colonial organisms — each cluster is composed of many organisms living in close association with one another."

5. sunshine recorder: noun, man-made to record natural phenomenon "when the sun shines with sufficient intensity, the sphere focuses the light on the paper, which is burned at that spot. At the end of the day, the length of the burnt track on the paper enables the sunshine duration to be calculated. When the sun shines, the sensor that is best aimed at the sun receives the highest light intensity. The older type of recorders required the interpretation of the results by an observer and these may have differed from one person to another."

6. in the annexe: location, lack of subject

7. julia and candy: names

8. smallest weird number: number, 70

9. 1969: date

so it starts off with three sentences, followed three objects (center, sea, and sky), then location, names, number, and date
not particularly random. any thoughts?

No offense man, but i don't think you are going anywhere with the list of songs. :shock:

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah I dunno...this is getting too in-depth. I'm pretty sure none of this stuff was intended. :wink:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Posts Quantity
harpoon dodger wrote:Yeah I dunno...this is getting too in-depth. I'm pretty sure none of this stuff was intended. :wink:

... or was it? First post on the topic is verrrry in depth hahahah :P

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions.

It's nice to read about a whole different perspective.

Posts Quantity
music is math is one of my most listened to BOC tracks and it never crossed my mind that the vocoded thing was making words...til now

interesting

Sherbet Head
Love BOCs stories, and the narrative side of their albums...its so sweet on TCH its like watching a excellent movie! Fantastic stories being told with no words.

Telepath
Archrival wrote:Love BOCs stories, and the narrative side of their albums...its so sweet on TCH its like watching a excellent movie! Fantastic stories being told with no words.

And every listen is a different story.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada