Jockey Slut, April/May 1998

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I searched and saw Oct 99 so apologies if this is already about, I just typed it up -

BOARD CLEVER
Boards Of Canada, Jockey Slut magazine April/May 1998

"Simplicity is very important to us," offers Michael Sandison, one half of Scottish electronic pairing Boards Of Canada. "It's easier to affect people emotionally if you keep things simple. Obviously there's a lot of great music in the world that's complex but as far as we're concerned the important thing is that you can whistle our tunes."
Boards Of Canada are fixed on melody and emotion in music. It's a rare obsession in the world of British electronica but it gives their sound a uniqueness, a ghostly sense of yearning and a depth of emotion. 'Music Has The Right To Children', their debut album, is the product of their fixation; a melancholy mix of rhythms and melodies revealing more shading and character with every listen. "If it doesn't affect me emotionally it doesn't interest me", explains fellow Boarder Marcus Eoin. "I think a lot of it is trying to capture a nostalgic feeling buried somewhere in our minds. We are nostalgic people trying to back moments from our pasts."
All of this might lead you to think that's it's an 'oh so serious' album, which isn't true. It's simply refreshing to see such a human approach behind the employment of modern musical technology.
"Music for commercials, documetary soundtracks and children's TV themes," continues Michael. "The spaces in between the music you're supposed to listen to. That's where our interest lies. These melodies might only last a second at the end of a TV programme but they are quietly more important to the public psyche than most pop music."
The first record Boards Of Canada released was self-financed and limited to Autechre's Sean Booth, who suggested they mail a copy to Andy Maddock's Manchester-based SKAM label. The result was 'Hi Scores', a 12-inch that brought the pair to a wider audience and paved the way for a follow up seven-inch, 'Aquarius', and now a full length album jointly put out by Warp and SKAM.
It would seem that, with the help of Boards Of Canada, Britain's homegrown electronica music scene might finally step out from the shadow of the machine to explore the more emotional and human avenues.
Strange to think something so simple could be so exciting.

Richard Hector-Jones

Here's a scan - it's not from the original issue, which I did have, but from the 10th birthday extra magazine which features their favourite moments and content. At 200dpi so you can see the original feature as well.

http://myuzyk.net/images//js.jpg

Happy Cycler
Interesting. This is an earlier (albeit shorter) Jockey Slut interview with the brothers. I don't think I've read it before. Good find man! I'll make sure this gets to the Wiki.

Sherbet Head
"I think a lot of it is trying to capture a nostalgic feeling buried somewhere in our minds. We are nostalgic people trying to back moments from our pasts."

lol Boards of canada are such hypocrites...in another interview they stated that they really dont want their music to be called nostalgic and that they are not nostalgic at all.

What you do, dont trust BOC :P

Dayvan Cowboy
I reckon every human being is a hypocrite to a degree.

Dayvan Cowboy
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:I reckon every human being is a hypocrite to a degree.

Yep! and even our very own BoC can be a lot of the times.

Sherbet Head
the privacy issue is a contradiction,not sure why they said they were gonna tour after campfire and did not...

Friendly Stranger
magazine writers paraphrase and 're-interpret' interviewees all the time. the only way to get around it is to do email interviews. and even then it happens.

Sherbet Head
nah

Friendly Stranger
john fonda wrote:nah

well, you would know better than i do

Happy Cycler
Najm ad-Din Ayyub wrote:magazine writers paraphrase and 're-interpret' interviewees all the time. the only way to get around it is to do email interviews. and even then it happens.

i can agree with this statement, as it is not BoC specific.
"It's been a long time..."

Sherbet Head
I think its much more about change tho than being a hypocrite (that was more of a joke and me being sarcastic). I certainly dont think BOC are hypocrites but the exact opposite. They changed over the years like you and me and everything that exsist does. I mean this is a interview from 98m they were young and had different views on things than they have today... I mean anything can happen from day to day, im a totally new man than I was from yesterday :D its all about change..and we BOC fans better get ready for a HUGE change in BOCs music (they are new persons like we all are) , im ready and I hope you are open and ready for it (they stated in interview from TCH era that TCH was a ending chapter of a trilogy and the new one will be something else :P) :D. I cant wait and im really looking forward to the change.

Happy Cycler
wow, to think that MHTRTC was 10 years ago! :shock:
"It's been a long time..."

Dayvan Cowboy
Mental! I was a spritely 21 year old :(

Dayvan Cowboy
I was a spritely 6 year old!

Hungry_ManWeaselBeast - is that avatar from Loguns Run? Can't place it, but know I've seen it somewhere....

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Hungry_ManWeaselBeast - is that avatar from Loguns Run? Can't place it, but know I've seen it somewhere....

From the TV series yeh. Scanned from a sci-fi book I bought in a secondhand shop a fews months back :D

Quality! :D

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Bought the film recently, a joy to watch again after so many years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logans-Run-REGI ... B00004VVNB

Dayvan Cowboy
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:Bought the film recently, a joy to watch again after so many years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logans-Run-REGI ... B00004VVNB

Filmed entirely in Dallas and Fort Worth, for all you yokels!

Sherbet Head
who wouldn't know more than you?

Next

Return to Boards of Canada