Jockey Slut, April/May 1998

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Nova Scotia Robot
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:Bought the film recently, a joy to watch again after so many years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logans-Run-REGI ... B00004VVNB

I just bought it a couple months ago. I looooove the synths in that movie, sampled some of 'em too 8)

I can't seem to find the tv series anywhere though...

Sherbet Head
747Music wrote:
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:Bought the film recently, a joy to watch again after so many years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logans-Run-REGI ... B00004VVNB

I just bought it a couple months ago. I looooove the synths in that movie, sampled some of 'em too 8)

I can't seem to find the tv series anywhere though...

I've had this movie for quite a while as well...lovely.

Seems like a remake might be coming up.

Sherbet Head
Nice find, I'd known Jockey Slut claimed to have an earlier interview but I could never track it down.

[wiki]Music Has the Right to Children[/wiki] was the issue's Album of the Week (boc bio) and included a number of quotes from other artists/industry folks (as taken from the old EHX page):

Mike Paradinas, JOCKEY SLUT, April/May 1998:
" I'm into what they do, in fact I actually tried to sign them to my label. The album sounds like a 70's wildlife documentary. That's a good compliment to pay them. They've definitely listened to the last Autechre album for the crunchy drums and the more minimal melodies. a lot of electronic music concentrates on the beats but they have very strong melodies instead. They use a 101 a lot but they make it sound good in the way Aphex does, rather than say The Shamen. Track 10, 'Roygbiv' is my favourite. "

Steve Beckett (WARP RECORDS), JOCKEY SLUT, April/May 1998:
" I find their nostalgia a strange and brilliant thing in electronic music. Another thing I love is that it works as an album from start to finish. That's still a rarity. When they play live they use loads of Super 8 footage of when they were young which works well with the children's voices. Favourite track? 'Aquarius'. "

Surgeon, JOCKEY SLUT, April/May 1998:
" Some tracks made me think of strange eastern European animation. Some weird line drawings that would go with the melodies and those children's voices. "

Rockitt (Ambient Soho/Dragon Disc), JOCKEY SLUT, April/May 1998:
" I'm a big fan. I love human voices like this in electronic music, though I was aghast at some of the production. It's like Kraftwerk meeting Autechre. The live bass was really cool too. The album's full of little hooks and short melodic ideas. I hope people give it a few listens because it is well worth it. You should get this album. "

The Apr/May 1998 issue is vol. 2, number 13. I haven't been able to track down a scan of the cover.

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeh, I did once own a copy ... gutted. No idea what happened to it either.

Sherbet Head
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:Here's a scan - it's not from the original issue, which I did have, but from the 10th birthday extra magazine which features their favourite moments and content. At 200dpi so you can see the original feature as well.

To be specific, the 32 page supplement to the Dec 2002/Jan 2003 10th anniversary issue?

Sherbet Head
I just put this up on the wiki - [wiki]Board Clever[/wiki] - and I noticed there are a few slight edits (none from the quotes) from the original text. No doubt it was trimmed to layout in the anniversary supplement. Only a few sentence clauses removed here and there, I just thought it was curious.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada