Aquarius Synth Chords

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Yep, it's another one of my tedious "how do I play this?" threads :oops:
The title is self explanatory, does anybody know the synth chords at the beginning of Aquarius (preferably the single version?) as I'm planning to cover this (with a live band :D) at this little festival for local bands. I'm the keyboardist as you probably guessed by the title...
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Friendly Stranger
Fm Dm Fm Bbm

Dayvan Cowboy
Thanks, the first three sound right but I'm not sure about the Bbm
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Posts Quantity
It's

F#m D#m (D#m7) Bm9/F# B

The D#m7 is a brief transitional chord. And I'm not sure what the proper name for the Bm9/F# chord would be, but on guitar the chords are:

F#m (244222)
D#m (x6887x)
D#m7 (x6867x)
Bm9/F# (224222)
B (x2444x)

Posts Quantity
One thing I've noticed in general when figuring our BOC songs is alot of times there actually quarter steps or so in between proper notes.

For example on Olson you'd have to have your whole guitar tuned up a little more than a quarter step to play along with the recording with accuracy.

It's not the case on Aquarius, but anyway...

Posts Quantity
Also, when the bass comes in it's playing a B-note for the most part while briefly going to F# at certain points.

Eagle Minded
Are you sure the progression of the chords is right? It sounds like its going F#(fretted at 9th fret) Dm F#(2nd fret) B. I didn't really pick up a Dm7th

at 3 mins in the chords change.

Friendly Stranger
The chords overlap due to the heavy reverb/sustain, making it sound dissonant and ambiguous. It should sound a lot more correct if you add a ton of reverb and fade in each chord with the volume knob.

Eagle Minded
Probably. But how the heck did you pick that up? Dm and Dm7th is just one note difference. Also, the F# on the 2nd fret sounds too low. ATleats on guitar it doesn't sound as smooth as the song.

Sherbet Head
many colored grass wrote:Also, when the bass comes in it's playing a B-note for the most part while briefly going to F# at certain points.

Hey man, do you think you could help me out in figuring the chords (or basic bassline) for Peacock Tail? Been driving me crazy for a while..

Eagle Minded
I'd still like to hear a clip of this guy who figured out the chords. do you have a sound clip of this on guitar?

Return to Boards of Canada