Hi-Scores (2014 remastered)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

The Mrs bought it I think. I'll get her to check. Cheers dude.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Hmmm... I honestly don't know which I love better; the new version or the old version. They both sound terrific! I can't decide which I prefer

Friendly Stranger
Having listened through to both - on both a crummy stereo and a studio setup - I'd say the new remasters are a little heavy on the bass, and probably didn't need to be clipped (this always tends to accentuate drums and percussion), but overall appear to be a general better balance than the originals - the one main exception to this is Everything you do is a Balloon, which benefitted from the original more constrained, mid-heavy mix in that it sounded more like a tape (cassette) and for me at least, had much greater nostalgia value - while the new mix feels more 'open', nothing triggers my nostalgia bone like the original mix.

ps. The MHTRTC mix of Hexagon sun is the better one.

Posts Quantity
Good to hear a more expert view on it, thanks. It's yet another mystery w/them seems like--turns out all of this is as-intended directly from the bros, which was a shock to me at least. Is it possible they didn't realize how much range they cut off? Did they simply like the audible result regardless? Were they distracted with working new projects? Did ancient aliens swoop in from the past and shift everything right before pressing? What do ancient alien theorists say?

Dayvan Cowboy
Somehow Nlogax feels faster and more driving when it gets to the chopped up vocal part. I love how the psychedelic waves just flow from my record player.

That extra warble on the "chorus melody" of Everything You Do Is a Balloon is fantastic.

Though I want archival and new material for my greedy self first, I would love for the Brothers to remix their whole catalog with subtle little details like this. Sort of give a new view to their classic catalog. Ah well, we will see in time whatever new gift they chose to give us.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada