Which unheard release would you want to hear the most?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Joined: 22 Jun 2019
This is something I've been wondering about for a while. I personally would go for Catalog 3 - there's something really appealing about its presentation (well, at least what we know of it). Just looking at its simple cover makes me somewhat well up with nostalgia about a time I wasn't even alive in.

Another one would be Closes, simply because of 5D. If 5D is this good, could you imagine how sublime the other tracks could possibly be?

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 341
Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Location: The North
I want to hear whichever release audio 07A is from... from R35TT. It’s one of my favorite songs ever. Being an avid guitar player for 20+ years it really jumps out at me. The swirling, twisting guitar drone layers blows my mind. It’s everything I like in a guitar track. I would love to hear more like that from them.

User avatar
Sherbet Head
Status: Offline
Posts: 858
Joined: 19 Jun 2015
I'm pretty sure we've already had this thread before, but my answer is Closes. The possible Closes tracks that we know of are some of my favorite BoC tracks we have.
Image

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 211
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Soul_Slip wrote:I want to hear whichever release audio 07A is from... from R35TT. It’s one of my favorite songs ever. Being an avid guitar player for 20+ years it really jumps out at me. The swirling, twisting guitar drone layers blows my mind. It’s everything I like in a guitar track. I would love to hear more like that from them.


I love all the guitar tracks on R35TT. Their melodicism and musical approach extends wonderfully onto them. I'm always one to defend Campfire Headphase and if they were to release one of their EPs with guitars on it, I'd be all for it.

My personal favorite is 10A because it's proto Headphase. I could imagine that guitar melody being used for a fully fleshed out song in 2005.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 21
Joined: 2 Aug 2019
Location: Iraq
Closes, being that it's almost an hour long, and only beat out in length by Catalog (by ~30 seconds). When it comes to unreleased BoC it's quantity > quality for me. Low quality BoC is an oxymoron anyways.

Any way you look at it, it'll always be a grass is always greener type situation.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 418
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX, US
i've said this 100 times - wouldn't you like to be free 10000%

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 159
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
you guys are too pickie and cool.

everything uploaded bandcamp anyday would be nice

not

yea

yea

not

ye

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1060
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
I have no idea. In other words who cares? I am not. I wish, that in their next release they resurect some of the old media. Like they did with old horror/sci-fi movies from the 80's. And create the whole unique story with their music. To wrap their music with many layers of different sounds which you may be fammiliar with. But make them almost undercognizable. Which adds this familiarity, but at the same time something completely new. You want to explore their music and what is behind it. It can really be mind-blowing. This is how I felt for at least first few years after TH release. You just want to dig deeper with their music.
Image

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 211
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
I actually kind of exhausted of the mystique of this a while ago btw. I only pay attention to what they have released, which is for the most part flawless!

I really think Mike and Marcus did this as a gimmick because it's really brilliant. How do you keep people interested in your work while you take a long time to release albums? By adding a bunch of secret ones to your discography! It goes hand in hand with the rest of the mystique of them and their work.


Honestly it may sound like have ill will towards them for doing this but I don't. They're always going to be my second favorite band and I really think it's psychologically clever what they did because it makes the fanbase salivate over a bunch of music they most likely will never hear.

I kind of think that the person who released R35TT was probably annoyed at them, however, for doing this in the first place and decided to deflate the mystique a little.

Edit: Hearing Wouldn't You Like To Be Free is particularly annoying because it's brilliant! I think that's the thing that managed to make me so hyped up about these never-to-be-released albums.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 291
Joined: 23 May 2013
Any new unreleased music. I can live without hearing their sketchpad musings if they don't want us to have them.
You could feell the bullshit

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 4252
Joined: 1 Dec 2005
Echelon wrote:I actually kind of exhausted of the mystique of this a while ago btw. I only pay attention to what they have released, which is for the most part flawless!

I really think Mike and Marcus did this as a gimmick because it's really brilliant. How do you keep people interested in your work while you take a long time to release albums? By adding a bunch of secret ones to your discography! It goes hand in hand with the rest of the mystique of them and their work.


Honestly it may sound like have ill will towards them for doing this but I don't. They're always going to be my second favorite band and I really think it's psychologically clever what they did because it makes the fanbase salivate over a bunch of music they most likely will never hear.

I kind of think that the person who released R35TT was probably annoyed at them, however, for doing this in the first place and decided to deflate the mystique a little.

Edit: Hearing Wouldn't You Like To Be Free is particularly annoying because it's brilliant! I think that's the thing that managed to make me so hyped up about these never-to-be-released albums.


I have had the same thought about their back catalog. Maybe they were even the ones behind the old tunes tapes.

That said, if Hooper Bay is real, I wanna hear it.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 211
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
mechanismj wrote:
Echelon wrote:
I have had the same thought about their back catalog. Maybe they were even the ones behind the old tunes tapes.

That said, if Hooper Bay is real, I wanna hear it.


Honestly, I think some disgruntled person/people were behind the leaks of their unreleased music. The only reason they'd leak the Old Tunes and R35TT is just so it couldn't be held over the fanbase's heads. I mean, I understand it's their music and they don't owe the fanbase anything but sometimes I do think that alerting people of a bunch of stuff they'll never hear in their lifetimes isn't exactly the nicest move. Contrary to what the Cosmic Crofter said, M & M couldn't be so naïve to think that adding those secret albums to their discography wouldn't create demand to hear them, especially when you consider the quality of what they have released.

The person who leaked the stuff we have was pulling a Robin Hood methinks. :lol:

And yeah, props to them for making Hooper Bay and Play By Numbers sound like lost masterpieces. In a way, I sort of hope they made this stuff up. Then I'd consider them master trolls who pulled a pretty damn good prank on the fanbase.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 159
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
Gently place your mouth on the sandwich and hope for thicker miracle wip. A pickle's the desert.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Joined: 4 May 2018
Location: Poland
I actually think BoC don't care about the impressions of the fanbase in the slightest. Making up the whole back catalog just for the sake of trolling the fans and going as far as recording fake snippets to make it more credible seems totally unlike them. I think the early albums are real.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 291
Joined: 23 May 2013
I think they are real, I think that it's more a case that BoC didn't really want people to hear their earlier stuff because maybe they don't feel it represents them anymore. Maybe they don't think it's that good, we are always our own worst critics (well, unless you're one of the increasing number of self inflated oddbods you see nowadays).
Although the leaks of what we have heard have not harmed them in the way i'm suggesting. More the opposite, building intrigue and a mystique that attracts fanaticism. So, I dunno. I'd still vere on thinking that they are more embarrassed by their fame and care more for the art than who buys it so we as fans don't really come into alot of thought. Which is how I feel is the right way to be as an artist. Artists care about the art, performers care about their audience. They are certainly not performers.
You could feell the bullshit

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron