Sick Times: the Wuhan Coronavirus

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I've been watching with morbid interest as cases of the Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV, originating in the Wuhan Seafood Market from live animals) continue to spread across the world. As with many viruses (any with an R0 > 1.9) it exhibits an exponential growth pattern, with each infected person spreading the disease to 3-4 others on average. Adding in the fact that the virus is apparently contagious before carriers display symptoms, and that it emerged right on the verge of the Chinese lunar new year when millions were traveling to and from China and throughout all the provinces, we could realistically have an emerging global pandemic.

It's been almost exactly a century since the last massive global pandemic... maybe we're overdue.

Sources:

General info:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/29/coronav ... dates.html

Video showing severe conditions inside the Wuhan Red Cross hospital:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/24/coronavir ... -hospital/

Bird Flu, Swine Flu, SARS, etc....I think we'll be okay. The flu is still a lot more deadlier than this thing.
Twenty20k.com
747Music wrote:dont go up there!!! the music is down by the truck!

Forest_Opal wrote:Mexicolas a spooky person.

Josh wrote:Sometimes I would pay money for 1:46 of silence.

Sherbet Head
Probably exaggerated. Where was all of this fuss when ebola was eating through North Kivu last fall (and still today even) ? I'm not scared of coronavirus right now, I'm scared of how easily the public can be manipulated into panic whenever it might be profitable.

Boqurant
Its incredibly interesting to monitor the global situation, which is viable in this age. Makes people freak out too, as mentioned. Anything could take a turn for the worse . Here is a remarkable monitoring dashboard of the virus -- interesting to watch! I wish it had an age breakdown of the poor victims -- remember these are human beings -- but here I am curious about it all.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Sherbet Head
Interesting how there are cases all over the world, but still nothing in Tibet ?

Boqurant
Isolation? And for perhaps a learned good reason too.

Happy Cycler
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:
phpBB [media]

Haha awesome! :lol:
"I do actually believe that there are powers in music that are almost supernatural. I think you actually manipulate people with music, and that is definitely what we are trying to do."

Return to The Playground