Geogaddi 20th Anniversary Thread

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Wanted to get the jump on this since February 18th of next year marks the 20th anniversary of Geogaddi. Figured it'd be a good place to post theories if they're going to do anything for it, as well as appreciation for this fine album. Here goes both for me:

Appreciation: It might be the BOC fanboy in me talking, but Geogaddi to me, is not only the best album BOC ever released, it's the best album Warp ever released. As the Pitchfork article for MHTRTC's 20th anniversary states, Geogaddi intensified the sound of MHTRTC, pushing it to its limits in an aggressive and highly conceptual level. For me, the whole album works as one cohesive adventure with nearly every song being on the same level of high quality and inventiveness. It's also get the best vignettes to ever be featured on a BOC album and they are of the same quality as the full length compositions. Perhaps the reason BOC changed up their approach with Headphase, is because they had pushed the maximum potential of the initial electronic sound of Music.

Theory for the 20th Anniversary: I think there's a greater potential for an expanded Geogaddi deluxe album because of how they famously said there's 300 tracks on the cutting room floor that they had to sort through to create the best possible album (which they succeeded with.) They never really said anything about outtakes from Music (except the acoustic album which they claim was lame) and IABPOITC was merely a conceptual "dumping" ep from the Geogaddi sessions of tracks that worked together. If Squarepusher's Feed Me Weird Things can get an expanded reissue for a 25th anniversary, then there is quite the possibility we can get an expanded Geogaddi.

Either that or more t-shirts and a print. :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
My theory: I retweet of some twitter post by WARP.

Then 23 days later the new album is out.
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogaddi is my favorite album (of any artist or genre). In my dreams, they'd do an extended anniversary edition with a bunch of previously unreleased tracks and alternate takes.

In the real world, though, I don't think they're going to do anything special at all for it, besides like a couple of "happy 20th anniversary" tweets.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
In the real world, though, I don't think they're going to do anything special at all for it, besides like a couple of "happy 20th anniversary" tweets.

I mean they did deluxe reissues for Stereolab, Seefeel and Squarepusher. But I guess Boards of Canada doesn't start with an S.

Eagle Minded
I want a Geogaddi shirt and all the unreleased material from the recording sessions.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I mean they did deluxe reissues for Stereolab, Seefeel and Squarepusher. But I guess Boards of Canada doesn't start with an S.

I feel like if special anniversary reissues were something BoC was into they would have done it with MHTRTC, which remains widely considered (outside the immediate fanbase at least) to be their most classic album.

AFAIK they've only ever done bonus tracks on Japanese releases, and even then they haven't done that since 2005.

Dayvan Cowboy
I really hope I'm wrong though; Geogaddi outtakes are honestly higher on the list of unreleased BOC I want to hear than the pre-Twoism stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Echelon wrote:I mean they did deluxe reissues for Stereolab, Seefeel and Squarepusher. But I guess Boards of Canada doesn't start with an S.

I feel like if special anniversary reissues were something BoC was into they would have done it with MHTRTC, which remains widely considered (outside the immediate fanbase at least) to be their most classic album.

AFAIK they've only ever done bonus tracks on Japanese releases, and even then they haven't done that since 2005.

Maybe Music didn't have any good outtakes? All we've ever heard about is the acoustic MHTRTC. With Geogaddi, it's more famously known that there was a crap ton of stuff that was left out of the album. We even got 747 and that bit of Spiro which were Geogaddi era stuff

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I feel like if special anniversary reissues were something BoC was into they would have done it with MHTRTC, which remains widely considered (outside the immediate fanbase at least) to be their most classic album.

This.

While I personally prefer Geogaddi, there's absolutely no denying that MHTRTC is their most iconic record. If they didn't do anything substantial for that anniversary, I doubt they'll do it for Geo. Best case scenario is new merch.

Warp usually dish out deluxe editions and fancy reissues for their artists if a release has been out of print for several years, and all the BoC albums are continuously pressed and currently stocked everywhere.

Friendly Stranger
Eat your vegetables, wear hearing protection at gigs and, if you're lucky, you'll be in fine shape for the 70th anniversary re-issues.

Honestly though, I'd love to see this 20th anniversary prediction come true. That story about all the material that didn't make the cut has always been so tantalising. That being said though, I agree with the above posts though about MHTRTC seeming a more appropriate choice. I guess it's 'only' another 2 years until the 25th anniversary of MHTRTC.

Posts Quantity
I'd settle for a reissue vinyl with the Japanese bonus track, my dads a member of the Mormon priesthood and From one source always hits me right in the feels, bitter sweet memories of being forced to read the 13 Mormon articles of faith out loud during sacrament every Sunday with all the other children, I was about the same age as the kids in the recording are too.

Man It took years of teenage angst followed by subsequent years of psychedelic exploration to get on the other side of that trip :lol:

We believe all men will be punished for their own sins and not Adam's transgressions

I don't know why I want to hold out hope that they'll release some of that cutting room floor material, but I am holding the hope.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:I don't know why I want to hold out hope that they'll release some of that cutting room floor material, but I am holding the hope.

I don't want to give anyone anymore hope than they already have, but polishing up the Geogaddi outtakes could very well be something they've been doing all this time.

Geogaddi, imo, was them at the height of their powers, and is probably where their favorite unreleased material lies. I've always thought that the unreleased stuff from ATP was all Geogaddi vignettes and full length tracks.

Dayvan Cowboy
Two words: Opus Magnum

I don't think we are going to get any kind of polished whatever from this, what's there is what they considered the best, they did not leave out any gems or pearls because if they had some of those, they would have published in one form or another.

I like the idea that some of those best remnants served as the seeds for following creations, in transformed ways.

As for Geogaddi, that album will never be topped, and I am okay with that.
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Eagle Minded
Same thoughts about Geogaddi ^
I wonder if they ever had any thoughts like "damn, what do we do now?" But I doubt that, because they've put out tons of neat different stuff since then.

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:I wonder if they ever had any thoughts like "damn, what do we do now?" But I doubt that, because they've put out tons of neat different stuff since then.

I always thought the reason they changed things up was because of Geogaddi. They had refined what they started on Music Has The Right to such a height, that they couldn't go any further in that direction.

But as you said, TCH, TH and the remixes all prove they can do tons of other things besides the Music/Geo formula :D

Eagle Minded
I've noticed this just now but I think Squarepusher was at about the same point in his career like they were. At about the same time he made Go Plastic which takes DnB and Jungle to its limits just enough to not spill over into breakcore which is its own thing. Chopping up old jungle breaks goes as far that record goes, just right on the limit of good taste and skill imo. And what do you know, from then on he takes another route just like they did.

Eagle Minded
I'd rather have BoC's old outtakes than BoC's new intakes.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
Honestly though, I would love to see a Geogaddi anniversary release with bonus tracks and outtakes. It would be amazing to see how that album developed. But you know that's not going to happen. Best case scenario is that the outtakes come to us through a separate compilation. But even that isn't certain.

I am a bit dissapointed by the fact Warp and BoC seem to be brushing anniversary releases under the rug. MHTRTC's 23rd [TWENTY-THIRD!! Significant number!!!] anniversary came and went, and Geo's 20th will be the same [maybe].
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Still my favourite album. Warp better do something epic on its 20th birthday. Surely there must be something interesting they can do...

Next

Return to Boards of Canada