The Call & Response Project

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
I've a proposal to ask of the musicians here. I've always wanted to try and find a place to do this, and twoism does seem perfect for the cause.

But firstly, "what exactly is a 'relay'?" I hear you cry. Well, refer to http://www.relayproject.com/. It is a sequence of pieces, all sharing correspondence with the one before it. Artists will share samples from the piece before, so as the link suggests, eventually we will create a flowing, shape-shifting, modulating piece of audio loveliness. :P

So what I'd like to ask: What theme should we use? In the original Relay Project, the artists are chosen for specific qualities. Here, however, I'd like to involve as many people as possible. So what I suggest is quite an open remit, with plenty of space for incorporating your own style, but one that will also prove cohesive.

From that, I'd suggest 'low-fi, low-key, warmth'. Interpret that in your own way. I figure it'd be good as I imagine quite alot of us work with that aesthetic. Although, feel free to suggest a different theme.

If you're interested, I'd love to hear about it. :)

== UPDATE ==

Images?

If there any specific image you'd like for your artist page on the website, let me know. Or, if you have an image in mind, but it doesn't actually exist - also let me know.

The Draw!

Picked out of a hat. If you're not happy with your place, we can work it out.

Also, let me know how you'd like to be credited on the website/in the thread from here on.

1. JosephG
2. Infinite E
3. Synthestesia
4. Pantheon
5. Numerator
6. Ignaz
7. Treefingers
8. turquoise70
9. From The Two
10. Cupz
11. Saurus
12. Elephant Face
13. coffee grapes
14. dono
15. Tomisnever
16. lithium enchantment
17. Techboy
18. Waterbagel
19. Rik Olson
20. Syni

Cheers everyone! :D
Last edited by From The Two on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 am, edited 15 times in total.

Sherbet Head
I'd be intersested if enough people get onboard.

Dayvan Cowboy
Same.

Happy Cycler
i'm down. 8)
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
*ding* I'm up for it!
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Eagle Minded
This sounds like tons of fun.

Sherbet Head
Let's do it!

Dayvan Cowboy
I'll try...

Sherbet Head
Cool, great response here. We probably have enough people to get underway right?
so, whats the next step? Im a little fuzzy on the exact details.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm in. sounds similar to cupz's rolling remix which was fun.
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"

Posts Quantity
I'm in.

Boqurant
Wow! What a great response! :D

We sure can get underway! So... someone has to go first. How we'd decide that I don't know. Any volunteers? Or a names-out-of-a-hat type thing?

If anyone has any problem with going first, now would be a good time to make yourself known. For instance, my microphone has just gone kaput which prevents me from recording any acoustic instruments. :(

Maybe while we're organising that, I'll ask you to add another word to the theme. Something inspiring? Thinking along similar lines, another one that could be added is 'organic' or 'ethereal'.

Telepath
In :D

Eagle Minded
Ive got a synth sample I think fits the bill pretty good... Warm snappy reversed minor chords. What format should I save it as and where do I send it?

Boqurant
JosephG wrote:Ive got a synth sample I think fits the bill pretty good... Warm snappy reversed minor chords. What format should I save it as and where do I send it?

The idea of this is to use a sample in a track of your own making - then send it on to the next person in the queue for them to use. If you're not up for creating a whole track, I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe we could have a commons for everybody to use?

Eagle Minded
Oh! Ok, thanks for the clarification! :) Sure I've got a whole track I'd really love to share. Just let me know when I should share it. It's locked and loaded so to speak.

Boqurant
JosephG wrote:Oh! Ok, thanks for the clarification! :) Sure I've got a whole track I'd really love to share. Just let me know when I should share it. It's locked and loaded so to speak.

Great! Just to clarify - you've got several samples from the track ready, and a paragraph or two about how you created it? Also,

This applies to everyone,

If there any specific image you'd like for your artist page on the website, let me know. Or, if you have an image in mind, but it doesn't actually exist - also let me know.

The Draw!

Also, let me know how you'd like to be credited on the website/in the thread from here on.

1. JosephG
2. Infinite E
3. Synthestesia
4. Pantheon
5. Numerator
6. Ignaz
7. Treefingers
8. turquoise70
9. From The Two
10. Cupz
11. Saurus
12. Elephant Face

All sign-ups from now will be added to the end.

Last edited by From The Two on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
This is going to be awesome :)

Eagle Minded
From The Two wrote:
JosephG wrote:Oh! Ok, thanks for the clarification! :) Sure I've got a whole track I'd really love to share. Just let me know when I should share it. It's locked and loaded so to speak.

Great! Just to clarify - you've got several samples from the track ready, and a paragraph or two about how you created it? Also,

This applies to everyone,

Is there any specific image you'd like for your artist page on the website, let me know. Or, if you have an image in mind, but it doesn't actually exist - also let me know.

The Draw!

1. JosephG
2. Infinite E
3. Synthestesia
4. Pantheon
5. Numerator
6. Ignaz
7. Treefingers
8. turquoise70
9. From The Two
10. Cupz
11. Saurus
12. Elephant Face

All sign-ups from now will be added to the end.

Sure, I can break my track down to it's bare components if necessary... I'm still a little bit confused about the sample-type, though. Do you want like a few samples of the song while I'm playing it or do I need to send like my snare sample, hi-hat samples, bass, etc?

Sorry to sound like such a newbie lol :oops:

EDIT: Just realized you had a link to the relay idea. Yes I have all this ready. LOL.

Dayvan Cowboy
If you ever have a need for a trombone improv-y solo that's bluesy or.. whatever..

i'm in

Next

Return to This Random Sound