10. Palace Posy (4:05)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
rainier wrote:That sample also sounds a little like part of "Peace, Tony, Devil". Then again it was the 70s and a lot of shit sounded like that.

Yeah it's those radio/tv jingle harmonies.

Sherbet Head
I gotta find all my old cassette tapes I taped off of my vhs collection of all that jazz. That was some good shit, they don't make em like they used to.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
Funny I just realized the first three synth notes remind me of the ones from June 9th bass line.
(Am I wrong?)

New Seed
This my fav on the album :) . It kind of sounds like "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin recreated by aliens.

Posts Quantity
Dinosaur stomp!
Also, "we have everythin..we have everything (h)ere.." ?

Sherbet Head
Back in high school when I first tried mushrooms my friends and I always talked about getting "dinosaur legs" and this song totally sounds like that. Like you're a tripped out dinosaur wading through the swamp. Atleast that's how it is for me.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
rainier wrote:Back in high school when I first tried mushrooms my friends and I always talked about getting "dinosaur legs" and this song totally sounds like that. Like you're a tripped out dinosaur wading through the swamp. Atleast that's how it is for me.

Totally. I was hiking and kept wanting to stomp in time but its a little too slow.

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:In the U.S. we say "ashes, ashes we all fall down" fwiw. Yeah it's hard to think of another time anyone uses the word "posy", it's pretty outdated.

Indeed...as has been mentioned elsewhere already, in folklore posies were believed to help ward off the Plague or evil. Following "Collapse", one interpretation of this title might be the false security of the gilded castles or bomb shelters of the elite following an environmental collapse...it would only offer a fleeting sense of safety, ultimately giving way to decay, a feeling very much evoked by this track...

New Seed
I hated Palace Posy the first time I heard it. It sounded too disjointed and messy and I couldn't find a melody in it. After a fistful of listens it's becoming a favorite, especially the chopped-up vocal sample at the end.

Friendly Stranger
I hope that I don't get mobbed off the board for saying this, but the beginning of this track reminded me of some AE from LP5. Obviously, halfway through the song, it becomes authentically BOC, but I got an Autechre feeling from the beginning of the song (without the intricate drumming).

Posts Quantity
aperture wrote:
rainier wrote:Back in high school when I first tried mushrooms my friends and I always talked about getting "dinosaur legs" and this song totally sounds like that. Like you're a tripped out dinosaur wading through the swamp. Atleast that's how it is for me.

Totally. I was hiking and kept wanting to stomp in time but its a little too slow.

Dinosaurs? I've been thinking of elephants. Something about that bouncing bass line makes me think of a massive elephant walking around all proud of something.

Also, this is by far the least anxiety inducing song on the album.

Posts Quantity
kidamnesiac wrote:I hope that I don't get mobbed off the board for saying this, but the beginning of this track reminded me of some AE from LP5. Obviously, halfway through the song, it becomes authentically BOC, but I got an Autechre feeling from the beginning of the song (without the intricate drumming).

I heard that too first time I heard the track during the live album stream. It reminds me of some of the synths in Oversteps, and just some of their sound in general. Love this track and AE.
Don't be afraid to persist...
https://soundcloud.com/tiny-sparrow

Friendly Stranger
I keep hearing 'we dance with the elements' although someone said it sounded like 'elephant'

Friendly Stranger
Yes, that was me that said elephant. I never thought that it would actually be that though. Think it's definitely element/s
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Friendly Stranger
wwbjd wrote:This track only confirms that BoC is a RDJ project.

They were obviously heavily inspired by him of course.

They managed to perfect a sound that RDJ seemed to give us glimpses of. I like RDJ, but you almost have to sift through some nonsense to get to the true beauty's.

Dayvan Cowboy
actualy the first part reminds me of some kind of marching over the pile of bones, those cracking noises and warm beats...the macabre dance of the death, flol

Posts Quantity
I like what someone said about this track sounding like a dinosaur stomping around. The synths evoke a kind of "ancient" vibe and remind me of the synths from Oirectine. Its kind of an ecstatic version of Oirectine for me in a way. I think this track is about the sublime and how something like Apocalypse becomes so intense that it transcends good and evil and just becomes something sublime. World War II pilots would report how the horror and chaos of aerial battles would build and eventually give way to a kind of euphoria. The booming bass sounds like it could be bombs. I do also get that bone crunching feeling arvy mentioned. I get it when that digital static effect appears...like debris being scattered in a blast. I have no idea what is being said in those vocoded bits and I am kind of afraid to find out.

I can see why some might find this track goofy but for me this was initially my favorite track. I suppose I am biased though since my first listen was during a thunderstorm and there were streaks of lightning all across the sky as the key change kicked in near the end. Sublime indeed!

Eagle Minded
I so love how the beat goes suddenly "massive" here and there on this track.

Eagle Minded
Love the sound at 3:02 in the left ear for that split second[/list]

Posts Quantity
I agree with the ancient sentiment about this song. To me, its always felt like something tribal. Like savage people, dancing wildly around a huge fire in the evening. I feel like maybe in this "scene" of the tomorrows harvest film, a primitive society has begun to emerge as the fallout from the nuclear disaster is just starting to clear up. Starting from scratch, and forming hunter/gatherer communities.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada