Old Tunes: The LAST downloads you'll ever need!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:These tracks will be hosted on rareboc.

PayPal link will go up tomorrow once the tracks are up! Enjoy the sampler until then, and Happy Cycling to all!

Fantastic! Thank you again.

I'm glad to share a bit of happiness and some of the tunes my childhood was shaped by, in addition to helping my father!

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THOUGHT

This thread really is getting out of hand. In particular the cash raising is a bit dubious. It's not even linked to a certified charity which could have made it a tiny bit different.

I've been told there is no degree of separation to the band in this story at all. Which makes it even worse. The audio quality seems to be a lot better indeed but using the music of our respected and beloved duo for a personal cause doesn't feel right at all.

If anyone should be getting money for this it's Mike & Marcus in the first place. They haven't even seen a penny from this music to date, even though it has circulated for years.

Should the first money from these tracks go to some other recipient that the band have no verification of endorsement of?

Boqurant
drixlin wrote:As much as I really like all of this - and sincerely feel for you Doors_of_Perception (I too have lost far too many family members to cancer) - I would hold off on posting the audio until you get some sort of confirmation from the band.

I think there is enough interest expressed, with credibility given to this project, that putting up a donation link now, while waiting for proper go ahead, would be best for you.

The last thing you want to deal with is collecting a bunch of money and using it, only to have to turn around and owe a bunch of it to BoC (obviously worst case scenario, but it's always a possibility without having proper permission first!).

I hope you get what you need from this - but honestly, don't rush the goods. I would post the donate button first, then if you can, post the music. We've all waited this long, and again, you've got enough on your plate to worry about...the legalities of the content should be the last thing you need to worry about going forward!

Thank you so much for your concern, and I know it's in my best interest. I just don't know what to think, really. And, I don't want to put up a donate option until people are satisfied, that just seems rude.

I'm going to see what happens in the morning and continue from there. I'm also considering asking MDG, but I don't know how.

But it's people like you on this forum who I really appreciate the support from, because, after all, we share a very prominent common interest ! :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
The new sampler has a bunch of my favorites and they all sound great. B07 is on point and this version of "Godever" reminds me of the one that was floating around for years before R35TT came out, so much more clear than it used to be - I used to be sure it was ripped from a CD!

Eagle Minded
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:I'm also considering asking MDG, but I don't know how.

http://www.twoism.org/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post use this. The find username will allow you to PM MDG directly.

If you ask for donations without proper approval, regardless of the who/what/where/when's, you are opening yourself up for big time hurt.

Rushing this won't help anyone - making sure it's done right will make all the difference.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:ONE VERY IMPORTANT THOUGHT

This thread really is getting out of hand. In particular the cash raising is a bit dubious. It's not even linked to a certified charity which could have made it a tiny bit different.

I've been told there is no degree of separation to the band in this story at all. Which makes it even worse. The audio quality seems to be a lot better indeed but using the music of our respected and beloved duo for a personal cause doesn't feel right at all.

If anyone should be getting money for this it's Mike & Marcus in the first place. They haven't even seen a penny from this music to date, even though it has circulated for years.

Should the first money from these tracks go to some other recipient that the band have no verification of endorsement of?

I'm so sorry... I really am. Should someone contact Mike and Marcus, I'd be more than happy to set up an agreement of sorts. The only thing is, they, and I REALLY don't want to sound rude, are already reaping the benefits of their hard work. They haven't seen a single penny from this because, well, they haven't released it.

Again, I really REALLY don't want to sound like an ass, but my dad is very VERY sick. We don't have socialized healthcare. The eBay case was exactly the same, but they demanded money. I'm just throwing it out there...

If you really think this is intrinsically wrong, please let me know, and I will not release the tapes.

I am sincerely apologetic for seeming like I am trying to subvert funds from the band, and, believe me, the last thing I want to do is upset them.

Hexagon Sun Official
Sorry everyone, certain aspects of this thing have raised a few questions. I wouldn't advise anyone to donate money to an unverified paypal account unless you are absolutely sure it is for a certified charity. This individual has previously offered up a bogus cassette with imagined BOC "titles" written on it, and while I appreciate that he has since acknowledged that tape as fake, it leaves the veracity of his story in doubt. As well as this, there is the moral & legal question of offering the band's unreleased music up for cash.

Dayvan Cowboy
I will defend BoC to the end of my days, but do they seem the litigious type at all? Do they really need any more whiteknighting? I have been throwing money at my computer screen since OTV first leaked and apparently nobody wants it.

Boqurant
mdg wrote:Sorry everyone, certain aspects of this thing have raised a few questions. I wouldn't advise anyone to donate money to an unverified paypal account unless you are absolutely sure it is for a certified charity. This individual has previously offered up a bogus cassette with imagined BOC "titles" written on it, and while I appreciate that he has since acknowledged that tape as fake, it leaves the veracity of his story in doubt. As well as this, there is the moral & legal question of offering the band's unreleased music up for cash.

Whoops, I just messaged you. Okay, I'm unsure as to how I can verify that the money would go to his fund. Maybe go with the initial idea of a GoFundMe? Anyway, thanks Mark!

Sherbet Head
I'm not a lawyer by any means!!! But it's not like she's making us pay for the files. It's optional, so there's nothing illegal about it...right?

Boqurant
Najlepsiejszy wrote:I'm not a lawyer by any means!!! But it's not like she's making us pay for the files. It's optional, so there's nothing illegal about it...right?

I think MDG's just concerned with where your money would be going, but I don't know how to verify that it would, in fact, be going to my dad's cancer fund.

EDIT: And, for the last time, if this does go up and you donate to the fund, YOU DON'T HAVE TO and I think legally I should just say the fund is UNRELATED TO THE TAPES. I release, it's for you and for my father's enjoyment. IT IS NOT FOR PROFIT.

That being said, if you would like to donate, you will be able to. IF I should release the tapes.
Last edited by Doors_Of_Perception on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
mdg wrote:Sorry everyone, certain aspects of this thing have raised a few questions. I wouldn't advise anyone to donate money to an unverified paypal account unless you are absolutely sure it is for a certified charity. This individual has previously offered up a bogus cassette with imagined BOC "titles" written on it, and while I appreciate that he has since acknowledged that tape as fake, it leaves the veracity of his story in doubt. As well as this, there is the moral & legal question of offering the band's unreleased music up for cash.

Well let's say she somehow clears this up and handles these donations in a more organized and accountable way, and makes it a completely separate issue from the actual release of better quality versions of these tapes - would BoC's ongoing live and let live approach to the availability of this material change if the quality became demonstrably better?

Sherbet Head
Maybe you can set something up on www.watsi.com ?

Doors_Of_Perception wrote:
Najlepsiejszy wrote:I'm not a lawyer by any means!!! But it's not like she's making us pay for the files. It's optional, so there's nothing illegal about it...right?

I think MDG's just concerned with where your money would be going, but I don't know how to verify that it would, in fact, be going to my dad's cancer fund.
With all due respect but your dad's cancer fund still is a personal fundraiser. I think the only proper thing would be a globally accepted charity of some sorts.

But still then it's not ok to ask money on the back of BoC's music. They should be getting the first money. It's their intellectual property.

Eagle Minded
The ebay thing is different though - it's a private sale, not a public broadcast.

At the end of the day, it's the bands decision whether to allow you to use their content to make money by making their work available for anyone with an internet connection.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, but at the end of the day all anyone try to stress is...make it legit and the time it takes will be worth it in the long run.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
Doors_Of_Perception wrote:

With all due respect but your dad's cancer fund still is a personal fundraiser. I think the only proper thing would be a globally accepted charity of some sorts.

But still then it's not ok to ask money on the back of BoC's music. They should be getting the first money. It's their intellectual property.

Understood.

Now the question is, can I release the tapes or not? Even if I do, the fundraiser is NO LONGER A PART OF IT. THE FUNDRAISER IS SEPARATE. NO CORRELATION TO BOC. NO CORRELATION TO THE RELEASE.

Now I feel awful, I'm so sorry to both Fred and Hexagon Sun. I just didn't know, and I hope you don't take it personally.

drixlin wrote:At the end of the day, it's the bands decision whether to allow you to use their content to make money by making their work available for anyone with an internet connection.

QFT

It's up to the band, the band's lawyers and Warp's lawyers.

Posts Quantity
Sounds like (but I don't know) there's a moral objection to selling it in the form of donating but not releasing. Legally couldn't say ofc

Edit: other part not needed.
Last edited by everythingyoudoisorange on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Boqurant
everythingyoudoisorange wrote:Sounds like there's an objection to selling it but not releasing.

Why not release it and then get the donation thing sorted and/or auction off the tapes ?

We'd love to hear those sweet detailed sounds

I don't know now if I can release it, all this needs to be straightened out. I really don't like that I'm upsetting people. I really didn't mean any harm...

Doors_Of_Perception wrote:Now the question is, can I release the tapes or not? Even if I do, the fundraiser is NO LONGER A PART OF IT. THE FUNDRAISER IS SEPARATE. NO CORRELATION TO BOC. NO CORRELATION TO THE RELEASE.

Now I feel awful, I'm so sorry to both Fred and Hexagon Sun. I just didn't know, and I hope you don't take it personally.

That's a tough question. I'm not going to provide an answer to that.

And don't feel sorry. I hope you can see the other end of the story now and can be respectful of that.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada