UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........................

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
if these existed they would be part of the official discography surely?

i think they don't exist.

c'mon boc prove me wrong!!

Dayvan Cowboy
http://www.discogs.com/label/Music70
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Boards+Of+Canada

Discogs are very tight on approving info on their database, i should know - they grill me over stuff on my own label! sure someone on there would have removed it if it was a myth, or BoC would ask for it to be removed ... guess some people just make up fakes with whatever tracks they can find that'd make it plausible to the casual listener

sure the BoC discography on their own site is commerically available releases

could be wrong though

Nova Scotia Robot
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:http://www.discogs.com/label/Music70
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Boards+Of+Canada

Discogs are very tight on approving info on their database, i should know - they grill me over stuff on my own label! sure someone on there would have removed it if it was a myth, or BoC would ask for it to be removed ... guess some people just make up fakes with whatever tracks they can find that'd make it plausible to the casual listener

sure the BoC discography on their own site is commerically available releases

could be wrong though

Very good points.

Sherbet Head
mdg wrote:
the early things you're mentioning do exist of course, but the band don't want those to be released nowadays. there are obviously a lot more that you haven't mentioned. most bands with a two-decade history are likely to be sitting on a massive archive, just the same. remember the band started in the mid eighties, they didn't simply pop out of thin air with 'twoism'. the only reason 'old tunes' is available now is because one person let the band down.

so are you saying the fabled forthcoming boc-set of old material that you mentioned a while back on watmm that was coming has been shelved again?

p.s. why did you delete your post???

Hexagon Sun Official
novayshun wrote:
mdg wrote:
the early things you're mentioning do exist of course, but the band don't want those to be released nowadays. there are obviously a lot more that you haven't mentioned. most bands with a two-decade history are likely to be sitting on a massive archive, just the same. remember the band started in the mid eighties, they didn't simply pop out of thin air with 'twoism'. the only reason 'old tunes' is available now is because one person let the band down.

so are you saying the fabled forthcoming boc-set of old material that you mentioned a while back on watmm that was coming has been shelved again?

p.s. why did you delete your post???

At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.

mdg wrote:At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. ... But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.

That's some real good stuff!

Even though the "99%" and the sentence "these tracks will come out" is a bit contradictory. It should have been 100% then, unless you imply that old tune tracks could see the day of light by other means than a boc set if the boc set will be scrapped in the end, which would be a pity.

mdg wrote:There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand.

That's just amazing actually.. so much good stuff out there, but out of our grasp unfortunately ;)

I reckon if they put those tracks as digital downloads, like Autechre did, it would get massive positive feedback and revenue ;)

Hexagon Sun Official
Fredd-E wrote:
mdg wrote:At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. ... But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.

That's some real good stuff!

Even though the "99%" and the sentence "these tracks will come out" is a bit contradictory. It should have been 100% then, unless you imply that old tune tracks could see the day of light by other means than a boc set if the boc set will be scrapped in the end, which would be a pity.

sorry for my wording, no i mean, the desire is there with the guys to do it, Warp are very keen to do it, so it's been an ongoing process in the background for a while.

Posts Quantity
Thats ... amazing! I mean the brothers will to release their old stuff.

Somehow I was in doubt about that because of their behaviour regarding their discography. See the disappearance on their website, or the Old Tunes Saga or ...

We have to wait? Well, that's nothing that shocks us anymore ;)
alone alive again

Telepath
No offence...but since when can we trust anyone on the net?

New Seed
A box set *and* new material. Thanks, mdg; you just made my day.

Cupz wrote:No offence...but since when can we trust anyone on the net?
Because mdg has proven himself in the past on the watmm messageboard. By spreading legit information in advance.

I'm glad we've got MDG on board on our forum as well.

Sherbet Head
I'll vouch for mdg. Exciting news.

Nova Scotia Robot
Moebius wrote:I'll vouch for mdg. Exciting news.

Same, this has my toes tingling with glee. :D

Happy Cycler
excellent news! the lull in BoC activity is what initially motivated me to work harder on my own music, though, so I wasn't having problems being patient about new material from them. i'm sure a lot of people are really pleased to hear this!
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm kinda disappointed in a way if they release the old material. They spent a lot of trouble in keeping it secret, and I must assume it was for a reason. Maybe it was something special to them, and now they're releasing it, it would kind of lose that feeling for them. That or they've hidden it cause they knew they're earlier work was not their best, but I don't see that as the case, cause then they'd never release it then.
Last edited by Shadowshocker on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
rdy2bz wrote:Thats ... amazing! I mean the brothers will to release their old stuff.

Somehow I was in doubt about that because of their behaviour regarding their discography. See the disappearance on their website, or the Old Tunes Saga or ...

Shadowshocker wrote:I'm kinda disappointed in a way if they release the old material. They spent a lot of trouble in keeping it secret, and I must assume it was for a reason. Maybe it was something special to them, and now they're releasing it, it would kind of lose that feeling for them. That or they've hidden it cause they new they're earlier work was not their best, but I don't see that as the case, cause then they'd never release it then.

Maybe the positive response to the leaked old tunes has made them realise poeple want to hear it. And hear more of it. I for one think the older material can be more rewarding than the newer stuff.
OTV1 is my favourite listen from start to finish than all their releases.

Dayvan Cowboy
There's no time frame on any of this information, so for all we know, the new album with be released next year and the box set in 10 years. Or just throw out any number you want, it makes no difference.

And on that note, warp records still has BoC's mircro-site for TCH featured on the home page, even though it was released 2 years ago. They must be anxiously awaiting a release just as much as us!

Posts Quantity
mdg wrote:
At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming.

are the pre-twoism releases (hooper bay, acid memories etc.) included in the material that's likely to be released in this box set?
i <3 watmm

Fredd-E wrote:I'm glad we've got MDG on board on our forum as well.

Well said Fredd-E, and to MDGs post - wow. Just wow :shock:

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada