747 versions:

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
1997 or so: the one on the website. no vocalization.
2004 or so: random 35 tracks tape. no beat, but with that vocalization.
2008: WARP unreleased version. sped up.

So, my question to you is, just how many versions are there? I've seen a
2 minute version of it with no vocalizations (but probably clipped from that
website), an 8 minute version which was the WARP release but slowed down,
and these. Also, doesn't this confirm the fact that the random 35 tracks tape
is legitimate because the vocalizations were never officially released until 2008?
funfunfun

Happy Cycler
This is my personal theory. The track on that tape with those supposed vocalizations (which I think are actually flutes) has nothing to do with 747. The piece of music from the old website that was known as 747 was later combined with whatever the song is that had those flutey vocalizations. The version that was released by Warp was the combination of both of those pieces of music. This was done as a nod to fans, acknowledging that they are aware of the tapes existence and that it is legit.

The slowed down version is unrelated and was made by a fan and posted to youtube.

This is always how I have thought of it... and I could be wrong. MDG, if you are so inclined, could you straighten this one out and provide the name of that song from the tape in the process?

Eagle Minded
706010 wrote:1997 or so: the one on the website. no vocalization.
2004 or so: random 35 tracks tape. no beat, but with that vocalization.
2008: WARP unreleased version. sped up.

So, my question to you is, just how many versions are there? I've seen a
2 minute version of it with no vocalizations (but probably clipped from that
website), an 8 minute version which was the WARP release but slowed down,
and these. Also, doesn't this confirm the fact that the random 35 tracks tape
is legitimate because the vocalizations were never officially released until 2008?

Sped up? Are you talking about the 33rpm vs 45rpm thing? 33rpm, the slower one, is the original speed, I believe.

Sherbet Head
this is my favorite version of 747
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K545wlT7wg

Dayvan Cowboy
The version on the Warp compilation was the best for me.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Hexagon Sun Official
mechanismj wrote:This is my personal theory. The track on that tape with those supposed vocalizations (which I think are actually flutes) has nothing to do with 747. The piece of music from the old website that was known as 747 was later combined with whatever the song is that had those flutey vocalizations. The version that was released by Warp was the combination of both of those pieces of music. This was done as a nod to fans, acknowledging that they are aware of the tapes existence and that it is legit.

The slowed down version is unrelated and was made by a fan and posted to youtube.

This is always how I have thought of it... and I could be wrong. MDG, if you are so inclined, could you straighten this one out and provide the name of that song from the tape in the process?

I'm sorry I don't know why there are multiple versions of this track. I do know that if you listen very closely to the release version, you'll hear Freddie Mercury. See if you can spot it!

Dayvan Cowboy
mdg wrote:
mechanismj wrote:This is my personal theory. The track on that tape with those supposed vocalizations (which I think are actually flutes) has nothing to do with 747. The piece of music from the old website that was known as 747 was later combined with whatever the song is that had those flutey vocalizations. The version that was released by Warp was the combination of both of those pieces of music. This was done as a nod to fans, acknowledging that they are aware of the tapes existence and that it is legit.

I'm sorry I don't know why there are multiple versions of this track. I do know that if you listen very closely to the release version, you'll hear Freddie Mercury. See if you can spot it!

Can you hear it yourself? I tried but can't put my finger on any point in particular which could be him....

Eagle Minded
Yeah same as, but thats due to the mountain of effects BoC are using in 747 which for me, that track just keeps getting better and better and much clearer each time I listen to it. We do alot of that stuff using Charles Manson in our tracks, which you somehow turn Evil into sheer Beauty. If someone mentioned to me that Freddie Mercury was sampled in 747, I would bet everything I own say you were chatting complete balls, but it can be done! Interesting Fact from the BoC camp once again 8)

New Seed
Don't know if it's this red wine but i'im sure i can hear "Radi" as in "Radio Ga Ga" re-peated all the way through.......I could be well off MDG as this wine is very strong :oops:

Sherbet Head
mdg: Is that being humble to you?

Posts Quantity
There's some voices fading in during the last 20 seconds I can just pick out. Could be Freddie...

Happy Cycler
mdg wrote:

Awesome! I've got some homework tonight!

Nova Scotia Robot
Lets not forget the awesome Helios remix.

Sherbet Head
Technically, most of 747 is actually vocalizations distorted to make it sound like synths or rythems. You just gotta stretch and squish different audio clips to find them. This is why I find this track so amazing.

Sherbet Head
747Music wrote:Lets not forget the awesome Helios remix.

there is a helios remix of 747?

edit: There apparently is. Gotta get it.

Sherbet Head
Re: Freddy Mercury, I'm prettysure I can hear a slowed down/ detuned vocal for "It's a Kind of Magic", in particular the word magic

GH wrote:Re: Freddy Mercury, I'm prettysure I can hear a slowed down/ detuned vocal for "It's a Kind of Magic", in particular the word magic
w.h.e.r.e.

Sherbet Head
2020k wrote:
GH wrote:Re: Freddy Mercury, I'm prettysure I can hear a slowed down/ detuned vocal for "It's a Kind of Magic", in particular the word magic
w.h.e.r.e.

3:27 onwards, very much in the background, but listen for the word maaaagiiiiiic.

Sherbet Head
Actually to satisfy my own curiosity, I've rather crudely slowed down, and altered the pitch of Freddy signing on that song. I'm more convinced now than I was.

My version is a little out pitch wise, and the duration might be slightly off.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20882511/mercury%20magic.mp3

Not too sure about the "magic" part. It's not something I can hear, alas.

But I do think it's got something to do with the final note in this song. It reminds me of The Field. If you listen closely to A Paw in My Face and wait for the last 10 seconds then you'll hear the sample which has been looped all the way through the track unfold. It seems like 747 does the same trick, albeit a lot shorter. That last note in 747 should be researched upon I think. That might be sampled and processed from the Freddie Mercury song.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada