May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 253
Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
damnit i wish i had more to barter with for one of those posters of a couple stickers...all i have is the geogaddi promo cassette and i dont think i could ever trade her away

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 107
Joined: 11 Oct 2006
I made it back from the desert with my brother

Echoing the postings that I've skimmed through that the album is beautiful. It's emotionally heavier then Geogaddi with all that is fantastic about TCH's production. Echoing the Carpenter vibe too.

Everyone I met was excited, friendly and cool. Once the album begun it went quiet until the end before anyone made a noise. Atmospheric to a T.

My favorite moment was this little girl running out in front of a half of the crowd to play as the uplifting latter portion of the album was beginning. She was so happy in unison. Perfect soundtrack moment.

Spoilers & Things:
-There's a huge Coca Cola Silo out there (along with the Skyliner Drive in). Trans Canada to the fullest.
-We were asked to keep postings under-wrap, but were told we'd be hearing the album
-Jacquard Causeway was the heaviest track emotionally on first digest.
-Cold Earth is the Detroit Track.
-Sick Times is Sick.
-I'm not sure where the Palace Posy/ROYGBIV connection was made in the track by track review.
-Come to Dust has this moment in it's last seconds that shines
-Semena Mertvykh is the track from the Tomorrow's Harvest Transmission.
-The silence at the end of Semena Mertvykh with the desert breeze, sun setting and awesome people is something I'll remember.
-The band texted Josh the organizer to tell us they loved us. cool shit.
- We made out with swag. I picked up a large 18x24 poster and two smaller ones, along with a bunch of stickers.

Sorry if this is rehash or spoilers but I had a great time and it was a long time coming. I'll edit this post with a link to some photos and videos when I'm not so tired. Thanks to the band and planners if you snoop this post for feedback, this has been super fun and has made me really happy.
Last edited by soupbandit on Tue May 28, 2013 6:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 297
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
One thing that I took away from my discussion with Josh from Warp was that the brothers have not left Scotland in a long time and have never been to the places in the RFTD video. The creative people found the locations and sent the brothers images and they liked what they saw and it developed from there. He was not sure if they had ever even been to Cali.

It was so cool that they tweeted their love to us after the album finished playing.

New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 May 2013
Drove 6 hours from Phoenix on a gamble that something would happen

Was nothing short of magic, as stated.... the setting added to the group of people who were just understanding of what the listening party was meant to be. It was ambient and surreal.

Met a lot of you Twoism people today and can say you are all fantastic people. It made hearing one of BoC's best albums yet that much better. It was like a therapy session.

Amazing album.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 297
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
I took this photo of some happy Boccers atop one of the old waterslide towers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... occers.jpg

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 21
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
In honour of a fantastic event and day... here's a lovely desktop wallpaper in a couple of different flavours.

I take no credit for the original image.

Image

Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 297
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
I had to get a shot of this guys sneaker soles for obvious reasons.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... 0Soles.jpg

Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Location: canada
soupbandit wrote:-Semena Mertvykh is the track from the Tomorrow's Harvest Transmission.


well that's legitimately surprising. i don't think any of the other reviews have mentioned this yet.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 90
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: Inland Empire, CA
paul wrote:
kidfortoday70 wrote:
paul wrote:
Helicoid wrote:
paul wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:BoC bless the dude with the nice camera on a tripod. THAT video will be making the rounds, I'm sure :D


Yes it will my friends. I will get the edit to you asap. Still gotta make the gawdawful drive home 6 hours ... and its fucking bumper to bumper. But, if I gotta get stuck in traffic to be a part of what just happened ... yeah. Can do.

Sketchy connection out here in the desert so full report later will be edging what I shot first thing when home. Sorry again for not keeping up while live. Damn phone died.


PAUL! You came through! your'e my hero! No seriously. Will it be posted or should i give you my email?


Nah, just had the gear and decided since it was in my beautiful state, and i love the desert ... it had to be done! i also knew so many of you were here sending us all some seriously good vibes and couldn't be there for countless reasons. I was seriously planning on a live gig. Since that didn't happen I have a nice locked shot of the ... airstream the truck and speakers. Sorry guys. Guess I was too optimistic. Yes, I brought the "dead kitty" wind muffler for my ZOOM recorder. Quite nice - pretty much zeroed out any hint of wind. I will edit it when I get home but that won't be til 3a PDT. Sleep can wait. Will load it to my YouTube page (look for Turk 242). There's already my humble reatment of the cosecha transmission there but tomorrow will be today's festivities.

Ok, so enough of the dry tech talk. To asnwer your question Decorah: kennychiwa147 said it best. I am still a little in disbelief. I quickly got over the no live show thing. It was just really cool to look around and see literally every walk of life there - young and old. That's when you know it's quality music. The setting was impeccable. Surreal. I am an avid trailer camper so this set piece made me smile wide. When the music came on I was pretty much swept away. I considered taking notes but felt like a tool as i was already standing up there with the camera. my buddy kept encouraging me to enjoy the experience too (he was the one rocking the ray bans in the blue t shirt). Yes the air was thick, sweet and sticky. :)

Ok, music - I listened to RFTD for 90 minutes yesterday on loop while running in big sur. never did that with any track in my life. It did not get old. So when I heard it today I wasnt sure how i would react. gotta say i got pretty choked up. I think it was everything - setting, with fellow BOCers, the sky - and the transition was wicked. The opening bits were really a blur. I was shaking and trying not to fuck up the recording. I do remember the fanfare and thought that was really nice. As for the rest, well you'll just have to wait I guess. I will say this - game changer. BEST. ALBUM. EVER.

Yeah, that's right ...


I believe I was literally right next to you, on your right. :)


We're you sitting on the rock? Sorry mate - wish id intro'd myself. regardless, it was pleasure to be there and share this experience with you.


No worries man, I wanted to meet fellow BoC fans as well, I get a bit shy though haha. Glad we were able to be there.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1650
Joined: 9 Aug 2009
honeypower wrote:off topic but god, 'skyliner' is so underrated


Absolutely. I'd love something like that on TH.

New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 May 2013
Synthetrix wrote:I took this photo of some happy Boccers atop one of the old waterslide towers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... occers.jpg


Me and my girlfriend. Right on thank you

User avatar
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3536
Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
mikektm450 wrote:In honour of a fantastic event and day... here's a lovely desktop wallpaper in a couple of different flavours.

I take no credit for the original image.

Image

Image

Lovely creations. Yours? Or where did you find them?

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 297
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
The clouds that rolled in as the afternoon progressed were a welcome relief from the heat and offered some additional visual drama to the event.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... CSKIES.jpg

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 297
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
This former snack bar had piles of old straws, cups and smashed boxes of soda syrup inside along with some old broken soda fountain equipment.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... 0Shack.jpg

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Joined: 27 May 2013
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Synthetrix wrote:The clouds that rolled in as the afternoon progressed were a welcome relief from the heat and offered some additional visual drama to the event.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/417 ... CSKIES.jpg



Agree on the subtle shift in the weather. The sun barealy filtering through the clouds was perfect.
Even better was the stunning golden hour / sunset on the drive back to LA through the desert.

What a perfect location/vibe overall.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 297
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
I am pretty tired, so I will post all the pics and some video up later on my site.
Thanks again Warp and BOC for giving us this once in a lifetime opportunity.
Your's truly,

Vic https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41740758/BOCVIC.jpg

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 253
Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
i dont think ive ever been so envious of someone before

you lucky sob's :)

goddamnit boys, why not have a listening party in canada somewhere? i mean, it does share some responsibility in shaping your sound. at the very least the country is a part of your name!

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Joined: 27 May 2013
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Here's my notes on the songs/ general review

---
Ok, just got back. Here are my thoughts. In general, awesome experience, the setting was perfect. In honor of Scotland I took a few swills of some Ardbeg (neat). As to the album I would not call BoC going back to a Geogaddi or MhtRtC style, or a combo of th two. It is definitely a logical progression from TCH although primarily from something like Oscar See Through Red Eye. They make dense, layered complex stuff now. The minimalism is gone. In some respects I like hearing their sounds with a chance to breathe. You get a little of that in the ambient interludes. That being said, Tomorrow's Harvest is an intense, detailed great ride. I mentioned earlier there were noticeable elements of extremely vintage synths (think 70s Tangerine Dream (Phaedra) of Jean Michael Jarre's Oxygen). Maybe some Bladerunner sounding Vangelis. John Carpenter has been mentioned. It's all swirling around in there.

I have a video of the first three tracks. I think the sound quality came out pretty good. Trying to figure out how to ujpload it right now.

I took notes on each track.

Gemini, Reach for the Dead, White Cyclosa - you heard them. Gemini was a perfect into track, got me in the proper mindframe for BoC.

Jacquard Causeway - Intense. When the album kicks into high gear. I really dug what I found to be almost jazzy sounding noodling on what may have been a wurlitzer. It gave a lose feel. One of highlights of album for sure.

Telepath - the darking counting voice one. I wrote "unmistakably BoC. Nice interlude track. Keeps mood intense."

Cold Earth - You've heard this one by now. A better track in its full sonic glory. I put this own down as giving me a Vangelis vibe on some of the synths.

Transmisiones Ferox - Psycaedelic, buried vocals, really dark heartbeat style bass pulse.

Sick Times - This one again had an almost jazzy feel with a vintage electric organ or piano sound. Don't know if the beat is the "dopest" but it is a hard kicking break beat. The melody parts give the feel of quick tempo that vaguely reminded me of Poppy Seed. Again with the vintage synths (something close to Oxygene sounding). Another one of the best cuts on the album.

Collapse - This is the one I think might have had a Moog sequencer. It reminded me of Phaedra. Deep track with a great bass line that also functions as a counter melody. Everything from Jacquard Causway to here flowed and was all excellent. As good a stretch as there is on any Boc album IMO.

Palace Posy - This one was a bit eccentric. Vaguely pizzicato string sounding melody.

Split Your Infities - This was my initial favorite track on the album. Swirling melody that morphs into what I wrote was "ominous and joyous at the same time. Holy fuck." All the great elements of a great Boc track and shows how skilled they are in their craft.

Uritual - Buzzy dissosant drone. One of better interludes I can recall and again keeps momentum from Split Your Infities.

Nothing in Real - Treated piano, retro sounding break beat. Nice track I could see this one being popular with the non-diehards but I don't mean that as a slight.

Sundown - Very Boc synth pads, layered again with what I call the ancient analog Vangelic et all sound.

New Seeds - Creates a melody almost out of radio static. After that I thought I heard discernable guitar sound... Sounds like what I know to be called col legno on a violin where you flip the blow and hit the strings with the wood part (used most prominently at the beginning of Holtz's Mars). Keeps buildings and immensely dense. This could be a polarizing track.

Come to Dust - "Eerie with a great laconic break beat." Also a highlight of the album for me.

Semena Mertvykh - This is more or the less the song from the trailer. The static is gone and there is instead a stunning dark and dissonant background noise. It sounds a little bit like the beginning of Metallica's "Damage Inc" (the last seconds before the thrash guitar comes in ) but with a strong helicopter effect. I love the melody of this song. Glad it is on the album. A perfect closer really (as exit music).

I loved the album overall. Where it rates in the context of their catalog? No idea at this point. Really glad to have the experienence of the build up and then the surprise listening party. Def treat for US fans. There were probably 100 people there, some came from as far as Arizona.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 178
Joined: 26 May 2013
Location: island
PlatrixECV wrote:Here's my notes on the songs/ general review

---
Ok, just got back. Here are my thoughts. In general, awesome experience, the setting was perfect. In honor of Scotland I took a few swills of some Ardbeg (neat). As to the album I would not call BoC going back to a Geogaddi or MhtRtC style, or a combo of th two. It is definitely a logical progression from TCH although primarily from something like Oscar See Through Red Eye. They make dense, layered complex stuff now. The minimalism is gone. In some respects I like hearing their sounds with a chance to breathe. You get a little of that in the ambient interludes. That being said, Tomorrow's Harvest is an intense, detailed great ride. I mentioned earlier there were noticeable elements of extremely vintage synths (think 70s Tangerine Dream (Phaedra) of Jean Michael Jarre's Oxygen). Maybe some Bladerunner sounding Vangelis. John Carpenter has been mentioned. It's all swirling around in there.

I have a video of the first three tracks. I think the sound quality came out pretty good. Trying to figure out how to ujpload it right now.

I took notes on each track.

Gemini, Reach for the Dead, White Cyclosa - you heard them. Gemini was a perfect into track, got me in the proper mindframe for BoC.

Jacquard Causeway - Intense. When the album kicks into high gear. I really dug what I found to be almost jazzy sounding noodling on what may have been a wurlitzer. It gave a lose feel. One of highlights of album for sure.

Telepath - the darking counting voice one. I wrote "unmistakably BoC. Nice interlude track. Keeps mood intense."

Cold Earth - You've heard this one by now. A better track in its full sonic glory. I put this own down as giving me a Vangelis vibe on some of the synths.

Transmisiones Ferox - Psycaedelic, buried vocals, really dark heartbeat style bass pulse.

Sick Times - This one again had an almost jazzy feel with a vintage electric organ or piano sound. Don't know if the beat is the "dopest" but it is a hard kicking break beat. The melody parts give the feel of quick tempo that vaguely reminded me of Poppy Seed. Again with the vintage synths (something close to Oxygene sounding). Another one of the best cuts on the album.

Collapse - This is the one I think might have had a Moog sequencer. It reminded me of Phaedra. Deep track with a great bass line that also functions as a counter melody. Everything from Jacquard Causway to here flowed and was all excellent. As good a stretch as there is on any Boc album IMO.

Palace Posy - This one was a bit eccentric. Vaguely pizzicato string sounding melody.

Split Your Infities - This was my initial favorite track on the album. Swirling melody that morphs into what I wrote was "ominous and joyous at the same time. Holy fuck." All the great elements of a great Boc track and shows how skilled they are in their craft.

Uritual - Buzzy dissosant drone. One of better interludes I can recall and again keeps momentum from Split Your Infities.

Nothing in Real - Treated piano, retro sounding break beat. Nice track I could see this one being popular with the non-diehards but I don't mean that as a slight.

Sundown - Very Boc synth pads, layered again with what I call the ancient analog Vangelic et all sound.

New Seeds - Creates a melody almost out of radio static. After that I thought I heard discernable guitar sound... Sounds like what I know to be called col legno on a violin where you flip the blow and hit the strings with the wood part (used most prominently at the beginning of Holtz's Mars). Keeps buildings and immensely dense. This could be a polarizing track.

Come to Dust - "Eerie with a great laconic break beat." Also a highlight of the album for me.

Semena Mertvykh - This is more or the less the song from the trailer. The static is gone and there is instead a stunning dark and dissonant background noise. It sounds a little bit like the beginning of Metallica's "Damage Inc" (the last seconds before the thrash guitar comes in ) but with a strong helicopter effect. I love the melody of this song. Glad it is on the album. A perfect closer really (as exit music).

I loved the album overall. Where it rates in the context of their catalog? No idea at this point. Really glad to have the experienence of the build up and then the surprise listening party. Def treat for US fans. There were probably 100 people there, some came from as far as Arizona.


can you tell which one is this track?
https://vine.co/v/bVlimJ9aTvV

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 253
Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
great review, cheers for that

so glad to hear that the trailer music is on the album. would have been a shame if it wasnt

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests