purported Growing Hand - Acid Memories clip

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
hate to be reliably taking the bait if this is another hoax, but this clip just appeared on YouTube and is worth a listen:
phpBB [media]

If it's not legit, it's at least something someone went through a lot of trouble to create from scratch given the roygbiv melody.
preparation for a dive.

Boqurant
i feel like this could be real, as i don't know......it just does.

but saying that, it probably isn't, knowing all these youtube fakes.

Friendly Stranger
It's a fantastic tune regardless and if it does turn out to be fake, I'm eager to hear a full high quality version.

Boqurant
Well, the synth sounds exactly the same.. that's something..
could be
could not be
could be not be.

Recently dug up one of my old hard drives and found these on it. I downloaded them off EHX when they were still hosting a Boards of Canada page. Noticed that there weren't any videos of "Growing Hand" uploaded, so I took the liberty to make a compilation video featuring it.

Eagle Minded
I thought the 35 second clip of Circle was from a web loop rather than an excerpt from EHX?
It appears in the web loops compilation video on YouTube and it's a perfect loop unlike the other excerpts.

Dayvan Cowboy
Can't wait to find out who really made this one.

Eagle Minded
Can I just ask, has the Duffy track even been verified by any kind of reliable source?

Dayvan Cowboy
Wildfire wrote:Can I just ask, has the Duffy track even been verified by any kind of reliable source?

Duffy was originally posted on their old website in the late 90s. Straight from the horse's mouth.

There's like 3 new threads popping up like this every week...time to feed the animals guys!

Sherbet Head
To be perfectly honest, I'm just glad that it's not a clip of 1969. This does remind me of something we have heard, though:
phpBB [media]
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Sherbet Head
I don't know about any of you, but I'm really getting tired of this shit. Until the albums get officially released (i.e. never), I'm just going to assume they're all fake. This one was made by someone with some nice synth patches and a cassette deck, and it's a decent fake. I think they went a little too far with the tape distortion, though. It sounds a bit too obvious, and a bit too similar to the Duffy excerpt. I think the real Acid Memories would have had more variation than people give it credit for. Interesting thing that person did with the drums in this track, though.

Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that most of the posts on the Boards of Canada board are about songs not made by Boards of Canada ? Maybe we should have a separate forum for threads like these.

Sherbet Head
I'd be all for an Apocrypha subforum or at the very least a dedicated apocrypha thread. But anyways, here are the facts:

http://web.archive.org/web/200003010213 ... ounds.html
This is the only capture we have of the old EHX sounds page (and even then, the download links are long dead). It's from March, 2000. Notice that there's no Growing Hand here. However, the words section of the site says that said page was launched in December 1999, and if you go forward to April 2000 it just 404s.

Either it was on in the three month span that wasn't recorded and then replaced by Duffy (unlikely), or it's fake. Also, the three confirmed EHX samples are badly compressed Realplayer files whereas the Growing Hand segment just sounds like a regular recording. Even though that's probably the case, it's still a pretty nice snippet of audio and I'd like to hear the whole thing.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Sherbet Head
Just sounds like another BoC ripoff to me. It's nothing special, really.

Sherbet Head
fake or not, i like it. love that delay

Eagle Minded
obvious bullshit because the known clips are really low quality, while the growing hand excerpt is higher quality than the rest. It sounds cool and all, but why are people still making threads about this stuff?

drillkicker wrote:I don't know about any of you, but I'm really getting tired of this shit. Until the albums get officially released (i.e. never), I'm just going to assume they're all fake.

Well said.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
ParticleGhost wrote:obvious bullshit because the known clips are really low quality, while the growing hand excerpt is higher quality than the rest. It sounds cool and all, but why are people still making threads about this stuff?

I don't have an ear for audio quality, but how do you tell the difference in a 128kbps YouTube clip ?

New Seed
Christ. Alright, so here's what this comes down to: It's fake. I made the track. I'm part of some shitty DIY music creators facebook group that my friend runs. I uploaded the track for feedback since I wasn't even done with it and it appears that some dickhead (honestly I suspect my friend, he was the one that told me about all of this) just stole it, cut it down, and slapped a false label on it. Someone posted a link to this thread on the youtube video comments. Figured I'd come in and clear the air.

proof: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0u32RawEGjA

Telepath
Aaw, sorry to hear your work got missused like this. Cool little diddle, though.

Really, twoism, can we stop acting like a bunch of retards already? Threads like this are feeding the trolls.

Sherbet Head
I'm actually glad this one turned out to be fake both because it further proved to me that believing nothing is the way to go and because now we actually get to hear the rest of the tune

Eagle Minded
Cupz wrote:Aaw, sorry to hear your work got missused like this. Cool little diddle, though.

Really, twoism, can we stop acting like a bunch of retards already? Threads like this are feeding the trolls.

As the messenger being shot here (I'm responsible for a couple of these threads) let me just say, I don't really care. It's fun to take these things apart, speculate about these lost recordings, and it's all pretty fucking harmless - especially since we've been able to expose the fakes pretty quickly.

The real tracks are out there. Someone who has them is possibly reading twoism. One of these days, we will all hear them.
preparation for a dive.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada