GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Echelon wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:I'd add this one:

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Peering_Out_f ... he_Curtain (2006 interview)

Mike: "Isolation can get negative at times, because you start to feel like you're being arrogant or that we're doing it because we hate people so much.


I think this is a very important quote to remember. If they really hated their fans they wouldn't have put anything out at all and they certainly wouldn't have participated in WXAXRXP. They are indeed waiting for a special moment once again.


Well... let's not be so naive. Probably money is a good reason for them to release albums. Such good reason that we are charged for each new album, remix and also for their re-releases!

And regarding your second paragraph, let me tell you: In all these years since 2013 they have had a lot of special moments that they could have used in order to release an album. Yesterday (02022020) being a darn good one if you ask me. They aren't waiting for a special day to come. They are waiting to have the album completed and make some more ca$h. They are humans, with their regular jobs and family. They ain't running a non profit, man.

Regarding their participation in WXAXRXP because of the fans... LOL.

And I really like Boards of Canada, but come on...

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
The Spaniard wrote:
Echelon wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:I'd add this one:

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Peering_Out_f ... he_Curtain (2006 interview)

Mike: "Isolation can get negative at times, because you start to feel like you're being arrogant or that we're doing it because we hate people so much.


I think this is a very important quote to remember. If they really hated their fans they wouldn't have put anything out at all and they certainly wouldn't have participated in WXAXRXP. They are indeed waiting for a special moment once again.


Well... let's not be so naive. Probably money is a good reason for them to release albums. Such good reason that we are charged for each new album, remix and also for their re-releases!

And regarding your second paragraph, let me tell you: In all these years since 2013 they have had a lot of special moments that they could have used in order to release an album. Yesterday (02022020) being a darn good one if you ask me. They aren't waiting for a special day to come. They are waiting to have the album completed and make some more ca$h. They are humans, with their regular jobs and family. They ain't running a non profit, man.

Regarding their participation in WXAXRXP because of the fans... LOL.

And I really like Boards of Canada, but come on...


Ah ok. I really don't care either way. I'm totally at peace with what they're doing now (taking a very long time) and was just saying that stuff to have some positivity on the forum.

But yeah, they probably don't believe in that hippy dippy shit even though certainly if they were totally about money they would have just dumped out some of their seemingly infinite number of outtakes. Or had Warp rerelease their other secret EPs a la Twoism. They could even just release Old Tunes or BoC Maxima if they don't want to put anything out anything new that we don't have. Or a new poster/shirt design.

M&M can't be that money reliant because they honestly have plenty of opportunities to sap our money from us but don't.

And I would take Societas X Tape over them not participating in WXARXP at all. Of course it's disappointing in some regards, but on the other hand, I like a good amount of the music on there and I wouldn't know about it without them.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Echelon wrote:Ah ok. I really don't care either way. I'm totally at peace with what they're doing now (taking a very long time) and was just saying that stuff to have some positivity on the forum.

But yeah, they probably don't believe in that hippy dippy shit even though certainly if they were totally about money they would have just dumped out some of their seemingly infinite number of outtakes. Or had Warp rerelease their other secret EPs a la Twoism. They could even just release Old Tunes or BoC Maxima if they don't want to put anything out anything new that we don't have. Or a new poster/shirt design.

M&M can't be that money reliant because they honestly have plenty of opportunities to sap our money from us but don't.

And I would take Societas X Tape over them not participating in WXARXP at all. Of course it's disappointing in some regards, but on the other hand, I like a good amount of the music on there and I wouldn't know about it without them.


Well... No surprise. What they are doing now is what they have done for a loooong time. Of course they are about the money! Go to the Bleep site, purchase the WXAXRXP EP for $18 (shipping not incl.) and think if BoC is about the business or the fanbase as you are entering your credir card digits, . And I don't blame them.

I don't know why they haven't released their old catalogue but I can very well imagine why; their old catalogue probably doesn't meet their standards and prefer to delight us fans and random costumers with new amazing material instead. I don't blame them, BoC has a big following and a reputation to maintain.

And I agree, the Bros don't need our money. They don't need to release a ton of material because they have other souces or income. Only people that have other jobs can spend so many years without releasing new material, especially if they are not going on tour. BoC is their hobby, not their main job.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
The Spaniard wrote:
Echelon wrote:Ah ok. I really don't care either way. I'm totally at peace with what they're doing now (taking a very long time) and was just saying that stuff to have some positivity on the forum.

But yeah, they probably don't believe in that hippy dippy shit even though certainly if they were totally about money they would have just dumped out some of their seemingly infinite number of outtakes. Or had Warp rerelease their other secret EPs a la Twoism. They could even just release Old Tunes or BoC Maxima if they don't want to put anything out anything new that we don't have. Or a new poster/shirt design.

M&M can't be that money reliant because they honestly have plenty of opportunities to sap our money from us but don't.

And I would take Societas X Tape over them not participating in WXARXP at all. Of course it's disappointing in some regards, but on the other hand, I like a good amount of the music on there and I wouldn't know about it without them.


Well... No surprise. What they are doing now is what they have done for a loooong time. Of course they are about the money! Go to the Bleep site, purchase the WXAXRXP EP for $18 (shipping not incl.) and think if BoC is about the business or the fanbase as you are entering your credir card digits, . And I don't blame them.

I don't know why they haven't released their old catalogue but I can very well imagine why; their old catalogue probably doesn't meet their standards and prefer to delight us fans and random costumers with new amazing material instead. I don't blame them, BoC has a big following and a reputation to maintain.

And I agree, the Bros don't need our money. They don't need to release a ton of material because they have other souces or income. Only people that have other jobs can spend so many years without releasing new material, especially if they are not going on tour. BoC is their hobby, not their main job.



Actually I think what annoyed me more than Societas (which is a really fun listen and reflects some great esoteric music tastes) was the WXAXRXP EP. Every Warp anniversary their releases got less and less great. We went from a fully new contemporary song (Orange Romeda) to an old outtake (Seven Forty Seven) to now a track that every big BoC fan has heard bootlegged. (XYZ)

You're probably right about how cynical the whole thing is. I think I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan. But yeah, this recent Wxaxrxp rerelease smacks of a cash grab.

Thanks for shedding light on the whole thing because I was clearly mistaken!

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Echelon wrote:Actually I think what annoyed me more than Societas (which is a really fun listen and reflects some great esoteric music tastes) was the WXAXRXP EP. Every Warp anniversary their releases got less and less great. We went from a fully new contemporary song (Orange Romeda) to an old outtake (Seven Forty Seven) to now a track that every big BoC fan has heard bootlegged. (XYZ)

You're probably right about how cynical the whole thing is. I think I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan. But yeah, this recent Wxaxrxp rerelease smacks of a cash grab.

Thanks for shedding light on the whole thing because I was clearly mistaken!


I was quite disappointed too at the EP, Echelon. I was disappointed at the EP and also the Societas tape. We were all expecting to hear either a new album release or new tracks or a live show or something like that. There was so much expectation here! I remember I even installed Discord on my laptop to chat with other people from this forum and discuss the set. Well... it turns out they came up with a music set that had no tracks of their own at all.
Yes, we all swallowed it and said: "Ok; it is cool. Thanks, Bros!" but I don't think anybody in here thought this music set with no new tracks was what we were going to receive from them. I mean, after so many years without an album, gimme some new tracks!

In my case, I remember I was with my parents in law on a trip in friggin Hawaii and as I was listening to the set, walking on the beach, not talking to anybody, like an idiot, just focusing on my Boc set with my headphones, I was wondering if this was really BoC or if I was listening to some Dj set by an Indie artist from Warp. Yes, I know that some tracks share the same negative message of Tomorrow's Harvest, and now I like the set (especially the Victrolla Track), but this was not what I was expecting. And again, I like it, it is very good, I have listened to it a good amount of times, but I wish it contained new tracks of their own.

Then I purchased the EP and thought the $ame thing. So many years waiting and nothing new (apart from two remixes and maybe they have released them just because Odd Nostram and The Sexual Objects asked them).

Anyways, hopefully another album will be released soon. But man, 02 20 2020 was such a good date!

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
The Spaniard wrote:
Echelon wrote:Actually I think what annoyed me more than Societas (which is a really fun listen and reflects some great esoteric music tastes) was the WXAXRXP EP. Every Warp anniversary their releases got less and less great. We went from a fully new contemporary song (Orange Romeda) to an old outtake (Seven Forty Seven) to now a track that every big BoC fan has heard bootlegged. (XYZ)

You're probably right about how cynical the whole thing is. I think I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan. But yeah, this recent Wxaxrxp rerelease smacks of a cash grab.

Thanks for shedding light on the whole thing because I was clearly mistaken!


I was quite disappointed too at the EP, Echelon. I was disappointed at the EP and also the Societas tape. We were all expecting to hear either a new album release or new tracks or a live show or something like that. There was so much expectation here! I remember I even installed Discord on my laptop to chat with other people from this forum and discuss the set. Well... it turns out they came up with a music set that had no tracks of their own at all.
Yes, we all swallowed it and said: "Ok; it is cool. Thanks, Bros!" but I don't think anybody in here thought this music set with no new tracks was what we were going to receive from them. I mean, after so many years without an album, gimme some new tracks!

In my case, I remember I was with my parents in law on a trip in friggin Hawaii and as I was listening to the set, walking on the beach, not talking to anybody, like an idiot, just focusing on my Boc set with my headphones, I was wondering if this was really BoC or if I was listening to some Dj set by an Indie artist from Warp. Yes, I know that some tracks share the same negative message of Tomorrow's Harvest, and now I like the set (especially the Victrolla Track), but this was not what I was expecting. And again, I like it, it is very good, I have listened to it a good amount of times, but I wish it contained new tracks of their own.

Then I purchased the EP and thought the $ame thing. So many years waiting and nothing new (apart from two remixes and maybe they have released them just because Odd Nostram and The Sexual Objects asked them).

Anyways, hopefully another album will be released soon. But man, 02 20 2020 was such a good date!


Really, I feel your pain man. It took me a long time to get to this stage of passiveness after 2019. I also remember when Societas X Tape was playing, I was on a date with my gf and I kept it playing quietly on the phone while we watched a movie. Always during commercial breaks I'd press it to my ear and just hear non-BOC music that sounded cool but it still wasn't worth me balancing half my attention to it.

It really took me until the winter of 2020 to realize how beautiful the music was on it. Mostly because I took it for granted because of how it blue balled me.

I still prefer it to the Warp Sessions, because I can tell that they loved the music and so many tracks have that delicious droning synthy quality to it. (Though I have a creeping suspicion that it might be BoC saying "There's so many artists like us out there, let us just relax in the highlands while you listen to them instead.")

The Warp Sessions on the other hand, was pretty crass and it was truly the least they could do. Especially since I can guarantee that one out of the 300 Geogaddi outtakes probably sounds halfway towards the quality of the LP.

Still, I have come to terms with BOC being a non entity in the music world. They clearly want to be and a lot of people on here seem to respect this. Or have gotten bored and left. There's not much we can do but be hopeful that one day, the drought will reverse itself!

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 86
Joined: 3 May 2018
Location: Slovakia
Maybe the re-releasing the old public stuff is mainly because of BOCs "terms" with Warp, in background continuing to work on another "special record" (special = years of working)...

About the old tunes - another "maybe" but there may be some sample licence issues and also - it requires a special focus to make it all work for a proper public release, as you said they have other sound & music businesses and just common life stuff in between...

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Brothers_Who_ ... ca_by_Hand (2013 interview)

Mike: "A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time."

(yeah :), we could just hope they will not forget about fans then, at least partly)

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1111
Joined: 21 Apr 2013
2020 02 20 was a joke. No way they would release the new music on a random day like this. On the other hand, the longer the wait, the more narrow the release window. Unless the wait is going to be much longer that anyone could think of... The idea behind 2020 release was, at least for me. That TH was their album of the 2010's. And they would release something completely new and mindblowing next decade. Large time gap fits for BOC music. In my opinion.
Image

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Joined: 1 May 2016
02/02/2020 would have been even better because it's a palindrome.

The waiting topic is something that has crossed my mind more than once over the years. I feel like BoC does with their discography they same they do with a lot of their tracks which is to say they reward patience. Happy cycling wouldn't be the same if the first part with the seagulls was only a minute or two.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
♄ope keeper wrote:Mike: "A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time."

(yeah :), we could just hope they will not forget about fans then, at least partly)


I remember my heart sinking when I read that. It goes against everything MDG said about a boxset and seems a trollish move on the part of the bros to mention it.

It's their recordings of course and they can do whatever they want with em, but still, it's statements like that, that come off like teases for the fans. Especially because they know that people want to hear more stuff by them.

Still, while it was more frustrating when I was a newer fan, just like everything else, one learns to come to terms with it! And move on to bands who don't do stuff like that. I've found out recently that I like Radiohead almost as much as BoC and they've got tons of available rarities to hunt down.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Joined: 1 May 2016
That would maybe be an example of why saying something in the press can have unintended consequences. The act of being patient doesn't necessarily end up in receiving something, it's more the lesson learned along the way. So much has been given already, and taken as well if you look at what we have. I agree, Radiohead is one of those bands where their B-sides are as strong as the tracks on the album.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
reflex17 wrote:That would maybe be an example of why saying something in the press can have unintended consequences. The act of being patient doesn't necessarily end up in receiving something, it's more the lesson learned along the way. So much has been given already, and taken as well if you look at what we have. I agree, Radiohead is one of those bands where their B-sides are as strong as the tracks on the album.


What's even crazier is that we use this quote from 2013 as definite proof of things one way or the other. They could have very much changed their mind or strengthened it towards this issue. For all we know, they could either be prepping the boxset for us right now or they could have decided to burn the recordings when they pass on. :lol:

And yes, I remember BoC stating in an interview that they were cool with Radiohead "borrowing" their sounds around the time of Kid A and Amnesiac. The Amnesiac track, Like Spinning Plates, oddly enough predicts Geogaddi tracks like "I Saw Drones." Despite different backgrounds, I feel both groups are examples of artists that are uncompromising in their visions with almost every track in their discography worth listening to. I'm just happy Thom and co decide to put out a record every four years or so unlike a certain band of brothers we know. :P

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Joined: 1 May 2016
Kid A was an interesting case, yeah I remember Thom mentioning Warp records as an influence at the time. Going off into a haunted mansion and cutting up lyrics to put in hat? Sign me up, if that's the sort of album that happens.

The lyrics being cut up like that brings me to one of my favorite parts about BoC, how over time we've seen certain elements that are used in more than one song. It would imply some sort of pre-established toolkit and probably helps a lot toward the consistency that their sound has, despite its many variations.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 86
Joined: 3 May 2018
Location: Slovakia
I understand, but I think BOC are just: years of "nothing" and then suddenly... BOOM! A jewel sophisticated till bones sees the light of the world... (the concept and integrity of the album is very important to them, a few winning trax will make it, others hundreds are out for now, I remember from the interviews around 2000 they worked all the nights and to make an album took less years, now there are families, more responsibility for the others and for themselves too etc., so I think it takes much longer but well, fans including me will be always hungry, and unlike bands like Radiohead there were leaks of tens of their early trax, so... maybe they also have to get through "too much of us has been released already despite the time hasn't come yet"...)

And then again - they've liked tens of fans tweets for years now, I think there is respect and a signal "we're working on it, we're working on it", but in another forms... 8)

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
reflex17 wrote:Kid A was an interesting case, yeah I remember Thom mentioning Warp records as an influence at the time. Going off into a haunted mansion and cutting up lyrics to put in hat? Sign me up, if that's the sort of album that happens.

The lyrics being cut up like that brings me to one of my favorite parts about BoC, how over time we've seen certain elements that are used in more than one song. It would imply some sort of pre-established toolkit and probably helps a lot toward the consistency that their sound has, despite its many variations.


I endlessly respect Radiohead's journey. They went from being a common alt rock band from their Pablo Honey days to integrating music from Warp artists and trying to make music in the rock genre that's never been heard before. Even if I hear Autechre, Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada in tracks on Kid A (the title track has the sweetness and melodicity of a BOC track and Idioteque reminds me of LP5 era Autechre) the music is still clearly their own work and it's highly idiosyncratic.

This is why I feel BoC respect Radiohead in this interview. They were a "mainstream" band but at the same time, they were establishing themselves as a band that takes esoteric influences and manages to make something brand new. Kind of like BOC themselves.

♄ope keeper wrote:I understand, but I think BOC are just: years of "nothing" and then suddenly... BOOM! A jewel sophisticated till bones sees the light of the world... (the concept and integrity of the album is very important to them, a few winning trax will make it, others hundreds are out for now, I remember from the interviews around 2000 they worked all the nights and to make an album took less years, now there are families, more responsibility for the others and for themselves too etc., so I think it takes much longer but well, fans including me will be always hungry, and unlike bands like Radiohead there were leaks of tens of their early trax, so... maybe they also have to get through "too much of us has been released already despite the time hasn't come yet"...)

And then again - they've liked tens of fans tweets for years now, I think there is respect and a signal "we're working on it, we're working on it", but in another forms... 8)

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."


Honestly, I think it's clear that BoC are not like Radiohead in that there's different expectations of them. Radiohead have an enormous fanbase probably double or triple that of BoC and are constantly looked up to as people who revolutionize the genre of rock music. I feel they're kind of obligated by everyone to continue this thread as long as they live.

BoC on the other hand, are that on a much smaller scale. But I feel they don't let the fact that they're one of the most beloved bands in the IDM genre change their lives. They still raise their families and do whatever else like regular people. Like you said, they're not working as frantically as they once were with Geogaddi. They clearly view their fame on a different level than Thom and co and it's actually quite respectable.

I have a theory about the twitter likes. In place of MDG telling us there's a new album, the BoC twitter likes lets us know there's a new album coming. It's probably so MDG doesn't have to come on here constantly and reassure us fans there's something in the works.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 86
Joined: 3 May 2018
Location: Slovakia
Echelon wrote:Honestly, I think it's clear that BoC are not like Radiohead in that there's different expectations of them. Radiohead have an enormous fanbase probably double or triple that of BoC and are constantly looked up to as people who revolutionize the genre of rock music. I feel they're kind of obligated by everyone to continue this thread as long as they live.

BoC on the other hand, are that on a much smaller scale. But I feel they don't let the fact that they're one of the most beloved bands in the IDM genre change their lives. They still raise their families and do whatever else like regular people. Like you said, they're not working as frantically as they once were with Geogaddi. They clearly view their fame on a different level than Thom and co and it's actually quite respectable.

I have a theory about the twitter likes. In place of MDG telling us there's a new album, the BoC twitter likes lets us know there's a new album coming. It's probably so MDG doesn't have to come on here constantly and reassure us fans there's something in the works.

Absolutely agree...

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Damn shame record store day isn't 4/20/20 this year. I think that would be a fun set of numbers and maybe something would happen.

But then again, I really just want the next album released without that crazy easter egg hunt of 2013.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 364
Joined: 15 Feb 2015
Location: ØØ Bored, in canada ØØ
What if they're just working on a single track ... for the past 7 years. The ULTIMATE track :mrgreen:

That would piss off so many people.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 402
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
TheStatPow wrote:What if they're just working on a single track ... for the past 7 years. The ULTIMATE track :mrgreen:

That would piss off so many people.


What if they spent the last seven years remixing Dayvan Cowboy? Or even better/worse, remixing Odd Nosdam's remix of Dayvan Cowboy?

Didn't they recently (last five years or so) sell Dayvan Cowboy to another commercial? To be fair though, they probably needed some extra cash since they haven't produced anything in so long.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
TheStatPow wrote:What if they're just working on a single track ... for the past 7 years. The ULTIMATE track :mrgreen:

That would piss off so many people.


LOL! Yeah. But hey, the track has so many layers that I totally understand it has taken the Bros seven years to complete it. It even has a backmasking voice!

Maybe their last album "Tomorrow's Harvest" is called this way because they wanted to give us a cryptical message: they have left the music business and are going to work at an Eco farm.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests