GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
WaitingFor_22 wrote:There's also this instagram account of Marcus, which is followed by Peter Iain Campbell. I kind of think it's legit for that reason except maybe for the fact that one of the accounts it follows is of a videogame streamer. The other accounts he follows are all music related, including Alessandro Cortini of NIN.

It also has the same pfp from the twitter account.

If it's followed by PIC, it's definitely legit. He's the band's photographer, a close friend, and Hexagon Sun member. He was also following the BOC Instagram page before it was confirmed.

It's so weird the things that make people think accounts aren't legit. Why wouldn't Marcus follow a game streamer? Is it unrealistic for musicians to enjoy games and videos about them?

SamuraiDrifter wrote:
WaitingFor_22 wrote:There's also this instagram account of Marcus, which is followed by Peter Iain Campbell. I kind of think it's legit for that reason except maybe for the fact that one of the accounts it follows is of a videogame streamer. The other accounts he follows are all music related, including Alessandro Cortini of NIN.

If it's followed by PIC, it's definitely legit. He's the band's photographer, a close friend, and Hexagon Sun member. He was also following the BOC Instagram page before it was confirmed.

It's so weird the things that make people think accounts aren't legit. Why wouldn't Marcus follow a game streamer? Is it unrealistic for musicians to enjoy games and videos about them?

How can you even see the accounts Marcus follows on Instagram? It's a private profile hence you don't see the followers and following. Unless your friend request got accepted? Mine didn't.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:How can you even see the accounts Marcus follows on Instagram? It's a private profile hence you don't see the followers and following. Unless your friend request got accepted? Mine didn't.

Yeah, that's another question- I can't see who he's following either (I somehow doubt my random band's IG request will be accepted, lol). I can, however, see that PIC is following the account, probably because I follow PIC, and that alone guarantees that it's real.

I'm just saying in a general sense, doubting an account is legitimate because he follows a game streamer makes no sense to me.

SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:How can you even see the accounts Marcus follows on Instagram? It's a private profile hence you don't see the followers and following. Unless your friend request got accepted? Mine didn't.

Yeah, that's another question- I can't see who he's following either (I somehow doubt my random band's IG request will be accepted either). I can, however, see that PIC is following the account, probably because I follow PIC, and that alone guarantees that it's real.

I'm just saying in a general sense, doubting an account is legitimate because he follows a game streamer makes no sense to me.

Unless PIC made a basic rookie mistake. He's human after all?

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Yeah, that's another question- I can't see who he's following either (I somehow doubt my random band's IG request will be accepted either). I can, however, see that PIC is following the account, probably because I follow PIC, and that alone guarantees that it's real.

Unless PIC made a basic rookie mistake. He's human after all?

♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ~Reaaaal human being
and a reaaaal hero ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
I brought up that insta account about a hundred or so pages ago. I primarily believe it to be real because he follows an account under the name of "harakiri_diat". This account has a YouTube channel in the bio (and makes it seem as if they own/run the channel). This channel posted the Filmmaker song that was used in SxT before SxT aired. Yeah, plus PIC follows it.

Some of us can see the followers because we followed the account before he made it private. So now, you must be accepted before you can see anything.

I'm not 100% sure it's real. PIC follows it, which is a great tell, but like Fredd-E said this could be a mistake. Maybe PIC and the brothers aren't talking all the time and he just thought this was the real marcus. But, PIC + the Filmmaker fact is pretty convincing in my eyes.
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded

I will admit this did throw me off quite a bit when I first noticed this. Primarily because its not just a "game streamer" but seems as if it's targeted more towards children/teens.
no information at this moment in time

Friendly Stranger
Since the official BOC facebook page recently joined the Board of Canada fb group, I guess keep an eye out for that as well. They may well post some more stuff there.

Friendly Stranger
Roswell wrote:

I will admit this did throw me off quite a bit when I first noticed this. Primarily because its not just a "game streamer" but seems as if it's targeted more towards children/teens.

what is the name of the streamer? The tweet "i figured it out" was also made by a streamer/gamer. His name is "knox" or "swimmingbird16".. If its the same guy, maybe they know each other?

Boqurant
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Yeah, that's another question- I can't see who he's following either (I somehow doubt my random band's IG request will be accepted, lol). I can, however, see that PIC is following the account, probably because I follow PIC, and that alone guarantees that it's real.

And that's how you accidentally revealed you are an undercover BoC agent :D

Roswell wrote:I brought up that insta account about a hundred or so pages ago. I primarily believe it to be real because he follows an account under the name of "harakiri_diat". This account has a YouTube channel in the bio (and makes it seem as if they own/run the channel). This channel posted the Filmmaker song that was used in SxT before SxT aired. Yeah, plus PIC follows it.

Some of us can see the followers because we followed the account before he made it private. So now, you must be accepted before you can see anything.

I'm not 100% sure it's real. PIC follows it, which is a great tell, but like Fredd-E said this could be a mistake. Maybe PIC and the brothers aren't talking all the time and he just thought this was the real marcus. But, PIC + the Filmmaker fact is pretty convincing in my eyes.

I just checked PIC does not follow harakiri_diat on Instagram. At least not anymore?

EDIT: Ok, I guess you meant PIC follows marcuseoin on Instagram. That's indeed still the case.

Eagle Minded
Has anyone considered that the HI Facebook page was hacked, and the black profile picture/cover photo are simply there to reverse the damage?

Sorry, I'm just trying to balance out the optimism :lol:

Boqurant
Sherbet Head wrote:Has anyone considered that the HI Facebook page was hacked, and the black profile picture/cover photo are simply there to reverse the damage?

If this was the case I would expect both a statement or something from mdg and the page to be deleted.. or some other way to message that what has happened over the last few days is just a ruse or hoax

Eagle Minded
Sherbet Head wrote:Has anyone considered that the HI Facebook page was hacked, and the black profile picture/cover photo are simply there to reverse the damage?

What're the odds it would've been hacked by someone who has enough BoC knowledge to put on a decent hoax?

Take the Whitney Houston profile pic for example. That photo hasn't been seen (AFAIK) anywhere but the Sheol Boundary channel 8 years ago. And that channel is even obscure among BoC fans. No one still active on twoism remembers it but me (unsurprisingly). It doesn't turn up in image search.

So it seems like either both are legit or both are fake and done by the same person.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Friendly Stranger
There's way too much activity going on in their social media channels right now (HI stuff, new twitter likes last week) for this to be nothing.

egbdf wrote:

What're the odds it would've been hacked by someone who has enough BoC knowledge to put on a decent hoax?

Take the Whitney Houston profile pic for example. That photo hasn't been seen (AFAIK) anywhere but the Sheol Boundary channel 8 years ago. And that channel is even obscure among BoC fans. No one still active on twoism remembers it but me (unsurprisingly). It doesn't turn up in image search.

So it seems like either both are legit or both are fake and done by the same person.
Or maybe it’s you who did all this? The parody, the inverse profile picture,... don’t know why any respectable member would do this though.

Eagle Minded
MIXL2 wrote:

If this was the case I would expect both a statement or something from mdg and the page to be deleted.. or some other way to message that what has happened over the last few days is just a ruse or hoax

But why would they delete their own page? I'm not disputing the legitimacy (even though I'm not 100% convinced just yet) I'm simply entertaining the possibility it may have been hijacked by a mischievous fan.

And lets assume it's a fake page entirely: would the bros even possess the power to shut down something with 'Hell Interface' branding? The 'Boards of Canada' name is established and likely copyrighted to the high heavens, so there's no doubt they'll have some leverage when requesting page removal for that, but when it comes to the Hell Interface name, how much of an influence/legal standpoint do they have?

Boqurant
Sherbet Head wrote:
MIXL2 wrote:

But why would they delete their own page? I'm not disputing the legitimacy (even though I'm not 100% convinced just yet) I'm simply entertaining the possibility it may have been hijacked by a mischievous fan.

And lets assume it's a fake page entirely: would the bros even possess the power to shut down something with 'Hell Interface' branding? The 'Boards of Canada' name is established and likely copyrighted to the high heavens, so there's no doubt they'll have some leverage when requesting page removal for that, but when it comes to the Hell Interface name, how much of an influence/legal standpoint do they have?

You might have a point..

However I think we know that the fb page was legit from the start because of the matching dates.. I just can't believe that being a coincidence. This leaves us only with the option of the page being hacked.. which also sounds unbelievable to me.

I think the correct move is to wait for messaging from known official channels.. until then we wait.

Eagle Minded
Sherbet Head wrote:And lets assume it's a fake page entirely: would the bros even possess the power to shut down something with 'Hell Interface' branding? The 'Boards of Canada' name is established and likely copyrighted to the high heavens, so there's no doubt they'll have some leverage when requesting page removal for that, but when it comes to the Hell Interface name, how much of an influence/legal standpoint do they have?

Maybe the name itself is dangerous to use in such legal actions especially when its primary purpose is making unauthorized remixes? As far as we know of course. Just a guess from an obvious standpoint. We know YT, bandcamp and something else is probably official but none of these are formally verified.

Moz wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:And lets assume it's a fake page entirely: would the bros even possess the power to shut down something with 'Hell Interface' branding? The 'Boards of Canada' name is established and likely copyrighted to the high heavens, so there's no doubt they'll have some leverage when requesting page removal for that, but when it comes to the Hell Interface name, how much of an influence/legal standpoint do they have?

Maybe the name itself is dangerous to use in such legal actions especially when its primary purpose is making unauthorized remixes? As far as we know of course. Just a guess from an obvious standpoint. We know YT, bandcamp and something else is probably official but none of these are formally verified.
The bandcamp one is legit. Said it before.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada